Where should Rise of Darkness go?

Where should Rise of Darkness go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyther

Lord of the Dance
There are a lot of great modmods out now and I'm restarting modding tomorrow so I was wondering if anyone had any preference on what I should base it off of.

Aside from the obvious reasons :)lol:), I'd say FFPlus just for the DLL. Most of the changes from Orbis/Lena are in, all of the FF changes are in obviously, and I'm planning on taking some from WildMana... As well as writing my own. Really, the DLL alone is a good reason for it. Could drop the civs and so on if you don't want them.

Each modmod seems to run slower than the last, so I have trouble recommending a start with one of those. But really its up to you and where you want to go with your mod.

I would say Orbis because I prefer its simplicity (ie, no bother with TrueModular) and it has most of FF features. Anyway, I know you're a DLL modder, so it would not really be that much trouble for you to create your own features.

FFPlus indeed has many features; but it's awfully slow during turns right now, mainly due to python I guess. At least Orbis is pretty stable right now, even though it should be even more stable with next patch.

I'd be biased to direct you to LENA.

FFH isn't going to change, and its where everyone who plays FFH starts. This would make it an excelent base for Rise of Darkness. FF has an excelent DLL that would allow you to do alot of cool, and neat things. It is also advancing slow enough now that modmods can be based off of it, and they won't have to be constantly updated simply to keep up with the base mod. FF+ though seems to have simply too many things that keep being added, which may make it hard for people to adjust to Rise of Darkness. I wouldn't recommend orbis, simply because you would have to radically re-design your mod to make it fit in, and LENA for the same reason. Wild Mana I wouldn't recommend, simply because I have no idea where Sephi plans to go with it - it does have a great AI, and the mana guardians stuff is cool, but without knowing what his further plans for it are, I personally wouldn't try to base a modmod off of it.

So I guess my vote would be for FF or FFH - your preference, the one that isn't going to change much, or the one that has the best DLL (toolwise), but will change from time to time.

-Colin

Each modmod seems to run slower than the last, so I have trouble recommending a start with one of those. But really its up to you and where you want to go with your mod.

Well, that's why my honest suggestion would be to take the DLL from FFPlus (Or FF, but FFPlus has the Orbis/Lena additions, and the LeaderStatus tag for Minor Leaders), and then revert it back to the FfH features. Basically, keeping the capabilities, but none of the features. Then go from there.

FF+
Once some bugs and slow-down are fixed (and the AI upgrades by Sephi are merged in (pokes Valk) it will offer the best tools to tinker with (modularity, DLL, etc.) :)

Modular XML alone is great enough (Stable & Workable version independent of Main Mod's updates) but couple it with odalrick's Modular Python and you can create even more awesome things and effects :)

I'd lean toward saying you should avoid using base FfH or Wild Mana, and grab one of the others before they start to use the code from those two. Lots of the "much better AI" is hardcoded, through python or global defines in the DLL, and so for a near total conversion like Rise of Darkness looks to be, you have to undo a LOT of that work, because those decisions are no longer the right ones. FF/FF+ use quite a bit of python along those lines already for techs IIRC, though easily removed in bulk, and I would be willing to bet that Orbis already has quite a few such spots as well, and will probably be up to date with FfH shortly too.

Hardcoding isn't only present in python though.

And xienwolf, no, Orbis won't add Wild Mana right now. Ahwaric said it was too much of a hassle for little gain in his opinion for now.

:lol: lots of people advertising their dll. Means Rise of Darkness must be popular :D

Rise of Darkness already used Turins mod, yet another example that AI hardcoding isn't modder unfriendly ...

I hope you base Rise of Darkness on whatever mod you think fits most to its flavor. A dll is only a tool after all. Some are fast and stable, some have lots of goodies for modders

Great to see Darkness rising again :goodjob:

I'm probably going to FF+. I mostly wanted to see if there was any huge group that had another opinion.

Great to see Darkness rising again :goodjob:

Ha,ha. Darkness seems to be the only thing rising around here. So much fall this and that...

I should've voted Orbis, but voted FfH2 before I had an educated opinion.

Top Bottom