Where to build first settlement?

Evil Beejeebers

Warlord
I've played a few games recently, but just can't stick it out. I am struggling to play a good early game.

What should I be looking for for a first settlement in this mod, in the current version?

Where should I be after 50 turns?

What is the sweet spot difficulty?

What should I be looking for for a first settlement in this mod, in the current version?
The first City Location does not matter that much in the very early game.
(Unless of course you hit the Jackpot and find Silver or even better Gems, Pearls, Gold.)

Normally you need to rush Exploration to get many Goodies or Village Gifts.
This also helps to get you a bit of extra Cash by finding the other Europeans and Trading Maps for Gold

Alternatively you might start game with rushing Bells or Crosses, if you get a Preacher or Statesman in Europe early on.
If you have a bit of Gold left, maybe also by a bit of Trade Goods to do Native Trade early on if villages are accessible by Ship.

Only after that you will really focus on normal Economy or Construction.
In that stage you may also try to focus more on Missions and Trade Posts.

----

In other words:

Do not turtle and build.
Be the first to explore.

----

Summary:

One problem Players often have, is that they apply "Mid-Game" strategies in "Early Game".
Eary game is usually about focussing on a few "rush strategies" (in most cases exploration) to make fast cash.

New Players often think that they need to direclty build huge settlements in "Early Game".
But building these huge settlements are something that is normally better done in "Midgame".

Last edited:
Thanks, I am really impressed with the current stable build. The AI seems much better at building an economy, or at cheating, they have managed to get about 80% of the founding fathers, I am scrapping by with like 8.

Besides exploring you should consider raising horses and selling them to the natives. They pay abundantly.

----

A bit off topic here: Horse and other European animals on the map as resources is a bit weird. Some civ mods have a system that lets you create or place resources - I think that would fit well in a colonization situation.

European animals on the map as resources is a bit weird.
It is not supposed to say "There are horses."
It is supposed to say instead "Good Place to breed horses."

So there is actually no real issue if you see it that way.
(When I see domestic animal resources I imagine the second.)

Because you need to bring all Lifestock anyways from Europe.
(The resource alone will not allow you to breed anything.)

Some civ mods have a system that lets you create or place resources ...

3 Problems:

1) Hard to teach to AI - unless it cheats heavily
2) Hard to prevent it from being exploited by Human
3) It would conflict a bit with existing Lifestock Breeding

---------

We talked about it in the past and did not like it. :dunno:
(Too much effort and problems for no gameplay benefits.)

Also for gameplay it is nicer to have "Good locations" on map to fight for.
Simply placing the "Good locations" yourself kind of destroys the challenge.

Last edited:
Thanks, I am really impressed with the current stable build. The AI seems much better at building an economy, or at cheating, they have managed to get about 80% of the founding fathers, I am scrapping by with like 8.

Aquiring Founding Fathers may depend to some part on luck (e.g. get Elder Statesman from the docks early) and difficulty level (AI boni), but it may also depend a lot on early focus on liberty bell production.
(For a lucky start, on turn 1 check the dock for an Elder Statesman and if there is none, restart ...)

As Ray mentioned above, get your Exploration started as soon as possible, e.g. by turning one of your two starting colonists into a scout and use early income to get more colonists and horses for more scouts. Number of scouts may depend on map size and map style. The Giant America map for example has more than 1000 goody huts and hundreds of native villages, so on that map scouts and caravels on exploration dominate the early economy. (Use Forced March II and FF Jacques Marquette to give your Scouts a movement range of 4 tiles. Use ships with a colonist/scout on board to get gifts from and establish trade with coastal native settlements.)
Also : Having a seasoned scout in jungle terrain gives a chance for the Lost Tribe random event which grants around 1000 Political Points which can be crucial in the race for the first FFs.

To push early for Founding Fathers, use some of the gold from trading and exploration to buy lumber, tools and stone in Europe and rush buy Village Hall, Town Hall and Printing Press, Lumber Mill, City Hall and Newspaper in one city over time. The newspaper gives +100% on liberty bell production and the City Hall allows more colonists to produce much more bells per turn compared to settlements with only a Village Hall. Use your Elder Statesmen, Noblemen and Governor in this city. The rising Rebel Rate will add another bonus (up to +50%) to all production in that city. (With medical services additionally up to +10% bonus for 10 Health.) (Libertarian Leaders get another +25% bonus on liberty bells production.) With these boni, 4 colonists in the City Hall may produce ca. 40-100 bells per turn (depending on colonist specialty and boni).
Costs for rushing buildings are minimized if at least one or more hammer were already added to the project and if all materials (150% lumber, 100% tools, stone, etc) are stored in the city.
Constructing all these buildings in the normal way by having several lumber jacks and carpenters work full time would take too much time and would probably make you miss your head start on bell / political points production. Lumber Mill and WheelWrights Workshop are much more powerful than the basic carpenter shop, especially with a high Rebel bonus, so once you have completed City Hall and Newspaper, it gets much easier to also construct the other buildings for happiness, economy, etc in that city.

Last edited:
Usually the first settlement is my capital and I'm always making sure it's not too far from EU and not too far from potential other colonies, in order to accelerate trading in the future. But yeah, each turn = money so, be fast.
Classic strat after that : primary ressources created outside of capital, massively. Capital the only place to stock and transform those ressources in their improved version before trading. Not hesitating to buy stuff from EU when necessary.
One thing I'm trying to do is avoiding people not creating value. Creating a settlement is almost free, and there is no big limitation. Not quite the original game from 1993 btw. % rebels was directly linked to your city max pop, and it was lame IMO. Now food only is the limit.
I'm using a LOT the transport automation, very well thought.

Top Bottom