Where's Hitler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't this subject come up before, I'm certain it has, or is it that I just forgot to take my Alkzeimers pills. (Can't remember where I put 'em anyway)

i personally don't really care if Hitler is in the game, but if people start long and lengthy debates that spew into fiery arguments of doom, then i see why Firaixis doesn't bother to put Hitler in the game.

haven't you heard that the new Tom Cruise movie where he plays as Hitler has been banned in Germany! It's just a movie, imagine what they'd do the the game!

Actually, that's not entirely true.. Tom Cruise isn't going to play Hitler, he's going to play the guy that left the suitcase-bomb that almost killed Hitler..

The reason why the movie has stumbled on some problems in Germany is because of the fact that Scientology is banned as a cult/sect there and people don't exactly like the idea of him as one of the people who tried to stop Hitler..

Also, with regards to Hitler, I don't think it would be a good idea to include him in the main game as a leader for Germany, but in a World War Two scenario I don't think I'd have much of a problem with it.. Truth be told, it looked really odd to see the German leader as 'Vice-Chancellor Von Papen' in one of the screenshots for BtS.. I understand the sensitivities and everything when it comes to Germany, but there are plenty of ways to bypass that.. The game Hearts of Iron and it's sequels had special German editions that used modified or different portraits of the nazi leaders, plus their names were spelled differently.. There are plenty of possibilities..

Hitler in the main game? No. In a scenario? I don't think I'd mind that..

I'd like to see Hitler in the game Officially. But ofcourse it's not a profitable move. Nazi stuff being banned in Germany. It's interesting that the German special unit in warlords is a tank. A Panzer tank for Bismark or Frederick?

Shaka lined up hundreds of pregnant women (his people) and cut them open to see the different stages of fetal development. From 'The Washing of Spears' if you're interested in more.

There is no right or wrong, no moral high ground, no one has rights. Might is Right. Therefore Hitler and every other dictator/leader/emporer was right. Morality is a fiction. EVERY human action has at some point in history been morally right.

"When I come back no more Mr. Nice Guy." Adolf Hitler :goodjob:

Where's Hitler? His dead in Berlin!

Quite a fascinating conversation.

First, no, there's no movie with Cruise as Hitler that's banned in Germany. The film that's discussed is called "Valkyrie" and is about the 20 July Plot where a group of German officers tried to kill Hitler to end the war. Cruise plays Colonel von Stauffenberg, the assassination plot's leader. The director wanted to film at some original scenes, including Bendlerblock in Berlin where the conspirators were executed after the plot failed. Some German politicans want to deny the film crew and Cruise the rights to film at Bendlerblock. Obviously it's considered bad taste that a professed Scientology member should play a resistance icon.

Also, no, not everything about Hitler is banned in Germany. However, the German criminal code has certain provisions that forbid usage of symbols deemed "hostile to the constitution", such as swastikas, SS runes etc., because they glorify certain un-democratic, even murderous ideologies. Use of these symbols is only allowed for documentary purposes (for instance TV documentaries).

I'd like to see Hitler in the game Officially. But ofcourse it's not a profitable move. Nazi stuff being banned in Germany. It's interesting that the German special unit in warlords is a tank. A Panzer tank for Bismark or Frederick?

No one in Germany (and I daresay somewhere else as well) would like to see a fictional Germany led by Hitler. Would you like to see your country in Civilization being led by the cruellest megalomanic in the history of your country? I doubt that.

Why do you need a leader that embodies all the evil that's happened in a country? Bismarck, for instance, was certainly autocratic if you're into that but was no genocidal maniac that tried to conquer Europe.
My guess is that Bismarck and Frederick were selected because there is a (albeit small) probability that everybody knows them. I wouldn't be so sure with leaders like Philipp Scheidemann, Joseph Wirth, Konrad Adenauer or Helmut Schmidt.

There is no right or wrong, no moral high ground, no one has rights. Might is Right. Therefore Hitler and every other dictator/leader/emporer was right. Morality is a fiction. EVERY human action has at some point in history been morally right.
So there are no normative values ("thou shalt not kill"?) for you? Quite a bleak world you live in. In the world of today, might surely isn't right. That was the case in a Hobbesian world but not in our world.

Sgt.Cooper said:
i said earlier i was an AMERICAN history geek

Do you realise there's more to the world than just the US?

@something wicked

ever heard of "perlen vor die säue werfen?" people here will never get it and boast around with their hearsay stories.

Living in Chicago apparently.

Attachments

• findah.jpg
    findah.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 164
I *am* Jewish, and I personally would love for Hitler to be in the game, if only because it would eliminate any questions about who my first target would be, and would likewise eliminate the raze/keep question.

Yea, you give those Nazis a taste of their own medicine!

I agree with Shqype above, I see no reason why Hitler shouldn't be in the game, just that he'd often be eliminated early... :)

With Poland in the "Debated to Death" category.

the only reason that it's been debated to death is because A. It's an incredbaly good option that some ignorant posters need to learn.
B. it invented Kielbasa
C. Poland rocks!

3/4 :joke:

ok dutchking if u were raised catholic, doesnt that make u catholic not jewish and if u hate hitler so much u should want him in the game. y? so u could beat the crap out off him. how? if u can mode make warriors look like hitler, then goo to world builder, make lots of warrior hitlers, add some nukes for u, and voalia! uve got a nucular hitler salad!!

What the... First off, at this point I'm not religious. And my ancestors were a mix of Protestants, Catholics, and Jews. Therefore, I consider myself all of those. Second, I think Hitler shouldn't be in because he was an idiotic psychopath. It would be a way of honoring him if we put him in. Third,
Sgt.Cooper said:
if u hate hitler so much u should want him in the game.
You don't hate him so much? And why would I want him? That's stupid...
Fourth, what you said before (quoted in my previous post, bottom of pg.2) was totally racist and it insulted me, at that point it wasn't about Hitler, it was about you posting racist comments.

ok dutchking if u were raised catholic, doesnt that make u catholic not jewish and if u hate hitler so much u should want him in the game. y? so u could beat the crap out off him. how? if u can mode make warriors look like hitler, then goo to world builder, make lots of warrior hitlers, add some nukes for u, and voalia! uve got a nucular hitler salad!!

You don't have to be Jewish to hate Hitler. He killed more people than Jews in his concentration camps. Slavs, Russians, crippled people, mentally ******ed people-- they were all killed. Also, some people don't want to have Hitler in the game because it 'honors' him. C'mon, just find a mod. I'm sure there's plenty. I'm not going to debate about Mao and Stalin because IMO one bad choice doesn't justify another. And honestly, don't tell people what they should or shouldn't want.

EDIT: Dutchking posted before me, and I completely agree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom