Which are your favorite PEACE themes?

benjamin28

Warlord
I was thinking about making a poll, but there are 43 options so I don't think I will be able to.

Anyway, I suppose we all agree that Civ 5 has a great OST! :king: The leaders' tunes have a great orchestration and each one of them feels unique.
So, now that we know every civ (including the BNW ones), which are your favorite PEACE themes? Share your thoughts and impressions :)

My favorite are:
+ Aztecs: It feels much more authentic than the lovable but old aztec theme we heard in Civ 2 and 4. It's a grandiose piece.
+ India: Maybe the more relaxing theme of all (tied with Boudicca's). It feels very Indian and kind of makes you feel good about playing as Gandhi (even if the civ isn't the best :p ).
+ Indonesia: It has a triumphal sound and effectively mixes gamelan sound with Western instruments. Am I the only one who perceives a minimalist feel to it? (a la John Adams).

No particular order:

+Songhai: very atmospheric. Really suits Askia and the whole Songhai Uniques mix of war and culture

+Polynesia: feel like I'm on a beach. So darn relaxing. I actually used it to help me sleep in the past

+Celts: possibly my favorite out of all the tracks in the game. I feel just so happy. So relaxed. I'm laying on a Celtic cloud looking over Boudicca's lush, green, rolling hills

+Indonesia: I'm Indonesian and at first didn't like it because I wanted pure gamelan, but that was an unrealistic expectation. In hindsight they did an amazing job at mixing Javanese music with a Civ style to it. Love it, very uplifting and makes me proud, somehow

+Shoshone & Hiawatha: have always loved that American Indian style of music

+ Byzantium: Oh I like this one. Looks like a gregorian chant!

+ Portugal: Almost as good as the awesome War Theme.

+ Assyria: One of my favorites! For some reason, it reminds me of... a square. It's kind of cyclical, but I'm probably making 0 sense.

+ Indonesia: Cool! Sort of a westernized gamelan, but I liked it!

+ Russia: Montagues and Capulets is one of my favorites, both peace and war.

+ Arabia: At first sight, I didn't like it, but after listening to it, I got used to loving it. It is epic by the end, even if the beginning isn't that good.

+ Ottomans: Love Cedin Deden! Great, has a nice turkish feeling.

+ England: Awesome song, even though I prefer their war theme.

I like Portugal and Spain. Something about those Iberian tunes.

I didn't hate Shoshone initially, but after hours of hearing those flutes, I want to shove them down someone's throat.

-Siam is pretty nice. It gives off the rouse that Rammy is more peaceful than he actually is.
-I also enjoy Monty's theme, like most of the native america ost.
-Greece's theme really works very well with the game. It's classically(no pun intended) one of my favorites.
-The celtic peace theme sounds like something from a children's movie. A little cheesy, but that's fine with me because it really like the track.
-I didn't much care for Dido's theme right off the bat, but it has grown on me.
-Du Galma Du Fria is one I really enjoy. It's unusual to see a national anthem used for a civ.
-Halie Selassie's music seems to complement him really well. Better than regae anyway!
-I like Japan's enough that a few years ago I put the track on my phone to listen to.
-Pacal's peace theme is melodic and peaceful. It really puts a smile on my face to meet the guy in-game. They really outdid themselves with G&K.
-Pachacuti's peace theme might be my favorite in the game, hands down.
-And while Arirang doesn't quite stand up to the Incan theme, it does set a sense of awe for me every time I encounter Sejong.

My favourite is Greece's- a simple (yet authentic!) melody somehow made into a really beautiful piece.

I also love Sweden's (Du Gamla, Du Fria is a really great national anthem, and I love the sound of the nyckelharpa), India's and the Huns (a staggering composition).

Of the new lot, I like the Zulus the best, and am not really familiar enough with the others. I'm sure they'll make their way onto my favourites soon enough!

Japan is probably my favorite. Funnily enough I never play as Japan so I didn't hear it fully until a little while ago.

Other favorites include Aztec, England, Poland, Indonesia... So many good ones.

My top ten (in order) are Japan, Assyria, Arabia, Russia, Poland, Byzantium, England, Sweden, Greece, and Spain. But all of the peace themes are great despite some being pretty weak.

Assyria's was the first one to ever really catch my attention. Gonna have to vote Assyria! And damn it I'll just say it, I really like Sweden's too.

I didn't hate Shoshone initially, but after hours of hearing those flutes, I want to shove them down someone's throat.

:lol: That's probably because most of the tunes of the Americas are by Carlos Nakai, a Navajo flautist. Too bad you can't stand it, I think the Shoshone have a great, relaxing music.

I agree with livsbrand and MantaRevan: Sweden's anthem is great too. Sometimes I spend a lot of time staring at Gustavus' beard just to listen to the theme!

The Portugal Peace theme is incredible. It just feels so...melancholic. And then the game have to mess it up by playing another random piece. How i wish there is a mod that lets you choose which song you want to play as BGM. Portugal Peace Theme for peace and Brazil War Theme for WAR!

Arabia, India, Persia(very underrated), Ottomans, Byzantium, Egypt(Underrated as well), England, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Rome, Ethiopia, Carthage, Netherlands......

Mongols and Huns have a great peace theme as well, a bit odd because they're warmongers. Songhai and Greece are fairly good. BNW soundtrack was a disappointment for me.

Sweden (Du gamla, du fria, du fjällhöga nord....)
England (I vow to thee my country, all earthly things above...)
Greece (Hoson zēs phainou, mēden holōs sy lypou...)
the Netherlands (In naam van Oranje, doe open de poort!, though it's easier to sing along with the war theme)

As you can guess, I love singing...

Poland (can't sing it yet, but I'm certainly going to try!)
Shoshone

Netherlands- A beutiful tune for an upstart nation ready to take on the world! I know the netherlands grew to be a global superpower for a long time, but I'm glad the peacetheme is more representative of their early years.
Polynesia- peaceful, relaxing, and flavorful. I once travelled to hawaii, bought polynesia as a joke (the civ expansion pack, not the real place!) to play while there, and instantly fell in love with the side. There music was no small part of that transition, and listening to it on the plane (with headphones! I'm not THAT guy!) made me feel like I was already there!
France- a nice little melody and a very western feel to it.
America- a nice rendition of a familiar tune that fits perfectly in washington's office.
Russia- cold, bitter, and full of complexity, this is a peace theme so far removed from the rest that it is almost a war theme... A perfect fit for the mysterious and complex country it is representing.
Zulu- Oooh Shaka

How i wish there is a mod that lets you choose which song you want to play as BGM. Portugal Peace Theme for peace and Brazil War Theme for WAR!
I've modified my sound .xml files to achieve exactly that, and more. Instead of the regular geography-based soundtrack, I've got the game cycling through the various leader themes, peace themes during peacetime and war themes during wartime. I'm not real big on playing through all the different civs, so this has been a great way for me to listen to all of the leader music, as well as achieve a "total world" feel that I sometimes crave while embroiled in my huge/marathon games.

My favorite peacetime themes are, in no particular order:

Indonesia (one of my two favorites overall -- so epic)
Sweden (my other favorite -- really, really pretty. Even moving.)
England (so dignified. I love the "Jupiter" melody.)
Assyria (kinda James Bondish at parts...though it's got nothing on Brazil's wartime theme)
Polish (regal)
The Celts (so peaceful)
Spain (it's so...Spanish!)
Alexander (relaxing, pretty)
Persia (another regal one)
India (just sounds kinda happy)

Top Bottom