Which charity are you supporting with your Civ 5 purchase?

What charity did you vote for?

• Building Schools for Africa

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Room to Read

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Central Asia Institute

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Scholarship America

Votes: 25 34.2%

• Total voters

HamTard

Warlord
Building Schools for Africa
Room to Read
Central Asia Institute
Scholarship America

It's nice of 2K to give $250,000 according to how Civ 5 customers vote.

Are there any links to info or a none option?

Scholarship America has (IMHO) the best looking stats on Charity Navigator, so that's who I'm going to pick. Couldn't even find Building Schools for Africa in their database.

i picked the central asia institute

That part of the world is rather poor but is often neglected by global charities. You never STOP hearing about Africa, but how often have you heard about the plight of central Asians?

so yeah, that one

I went for scholarship for America.

I don't feel comfortable with the mightiest superpower in the world being so behind in education. More people going to college in the USA will do the whole world some good.

I'm Canadian, by the way, but I feel that much of what happens to my Ameri-bros is felt strongly on this side of the border.

The sad thing about so-called charities is only a small percentage of donated money goes to help those who you think you are helping. Usually less than 20%. This means around 80% or more goes to pay for salaries and other overhead. The American Cancer Society is terrible at this and it's why I think of them as a scam agency, but then after more research I discovered that this applies to almost every "charity" so-called non-profit organization out there.

They call themselves non-profit but they still pay themselves nice salaries.

I would much prefer just to give the money directly to someone who needs it.

The sad thing about so-called charities is only a small percentage of donated money goes to help those who you think you are helping. Usually less than 20%. This means around 80% or more goes to pay for salaries and other overhead. The American Cancer Society is terrible at this and it's why I think of them as a scam agency, but then after more research I discovered that this applies to almost every "charity" so-called non-profit organization out there.

I would agree that anyone giving to a charity should research these figures, and that there are some that are as bad as you say.

But I also think that you exaggerate in implying all charities are like that. Do some research, give in areas that you are interested in and know a little about, but don't allow the undoubted abuses of some so-called charities to tar all of them with the same brush. Many of them do valuable and essential work.

CAI is actually a really legit charity, its main goal is building schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan targeted towards girls who otherwise are not allowed. It is commonly hailed as one of the most effective charities in the region

Check per charity. Some of them do have large administrative costs, but there are many that have a patron that pays for the administrative costs (such as Ronald McDonald House) and 100% of donations are given away.

This is a question near and dear to my heart, since I work in the not-for-profit sector (www.freeformsolutions.ca) and provide IT consulting and support to a wide variety of charitable and not-for-profit organizations.

Some of the comments here are a little misguided. The biggest misconception people outside the not-for-profit sector have about the organizations in the sector, is the idea that paying people and incurring admin costs is somehow a bad thing. As if these organizations can carry out their work entirely through volunteer effort and good wishes!

This attitude is the most destructive force in the way of charities and not-for-profits fulfilling their missions. Much has been written about it. My favourite piece is here:

http://www.ssireview.org/articles/entry/the_nonprofit_starvation_cycle/

Not-for-profits are businesses that operate for a motive other than making money. That is all. They have exactly the same operational requirements for HR, IT, Finance and Admin, that similarly sized organizations have. What for-profit organization would fire their entire HR and IT department and then tell their shareholders they were being "efficient"?! The not-for-profit sector is the only part of the economy that seems to be under pressure to be extremely inefficient, and that is somehow seen as a virtue.

Real-life story...a former colleague used to be an IT manager in an African hot spot working for an international aid organization that shall remain nameless. This organization prided itself on spending a tiny fraction of its donations on "overhead" and directing the overwhelming majority to "services". Well, they didn't take my colleague's advice to buy the expensive satellite phones they needed to coordinate supplies between their home base in Europe and the places on the ground where they were operating.

The result...a shipment of food ended up queued up for the wrong time and they had to charter a plane to get it to Africa asap. It cost $40,000 to charter the plane. It would have cost $12,000 for the satellite phones they had been told they needed. They didn't want to spend the $12,000 on the phones because that wasn't going to feed anyone. And you can bet the $40,000 for the plane just got recorded as "delivering services". Afterall, it was literally delivering food to Africa.

Next time you see an organization that says they spend all their money feeding the hungry or helping do X, Y or Z...ask yourself what it is that they're NOT doing. Chances are, they're not operating sustainably or efficiently.

--Julian

Here's some links to educate yourselves.

Building Schools for Africa: (Couldn't find these guys)

Room to Read: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=10217

Central Asia Institute: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=10217

Scholarship America: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3512

Thanks for the links, but you copied the Room to Read one twice. The correct link for Central Asia Institute is: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=10411

--Julian

Top Bottom