Which Civ would you like in Colonization?

Which civs do you wish were in Colonization?

• Portugal

Votes: 216 75.3%
  • Sweden

Votes: 67 23.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 70 24.4%
  • China

Votes: 33 11.5%
  • Venice

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Arabs

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Ottomans

Votes: 28 9.8%
  • Vikings

Votes: 62 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 47 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Portugal for sure. Including Denmark, Sweden and Russia would make historical sense also - and make the total # of playable civs a clean binary 8. ;)

Because you asked nicely :D ;)

Portugal, Denmark-Norway and Sweden. Perhaps some german state (not HRE). Ottomans would be interesting addition but would be lot of work to implement with their different culture and religion. Western christian kings would pay to have the infidels destroyed tought :p

Problem with adding russia is that they could in theory started colonisation early in 18th centrury at the earliest.

I agree... couldn't say it any better myself hehe...

Huh? What is that?

Courland was a duchy and part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It had a colony on Tobago for brief periods of the 17th century. Possibly a country for die-hard players as support from the homeland would be minimal :D

The problem with Russia is that if left with no real competition for land they would likely win every game.

Not true. China had a giant navy in the 1400s. They could have easily colonized the New World, much easier then Russia.

Portugal should have been included for sure. It was a major power in America, even if they kept to Brazil. I would NOT like to see the Romans or other weird choices like them. My list would be prioritised like this:

Portugal (Brazil)
Denmark-Norway (US Virgin Islands)
Russia (Alaska and the west coast of North America)
Sweden (Delaware)
Courland (Tobago)
Scotland (Nova Scotia and New Jersey)

The Welsh didn't have a nation state to govern them in the way the others did, and Belgium and the Ottomans kept to other parts of the world. Germany entered the scene far too late for the game, and Italy even later. As for Venice, while I'm sure they would have loved to take part in the colonisation, they never managed to do so. In fact, Genova would be a better choice, since they had colonies of a sort in Crimea. Bavaria had a very short-lived colony in America, but it wasn't established by Bavarian settlers, so it doesn't count.

Portugal. It's pretty pathetic that the European country who first started the rush of exploration, and whose colony (Brazil) is the 2nd most populated in the Americas and the 5th most populated and 5th largest in the world is not in the game.

Another vote for Portugal. Their non-inclusion was the one thing that spoiled the original for me, I mean compared to the impact of Holland in the New World its not even a contest, not that Holland shouldn't be in of course.

I'm not too annoyed that their not going to be in the remake, A Portugal civ is likely to be one of the first modpacks made for it.

The idea of colonization, specifically in the western hemisphere, really only applied to a few powers, and certainly few of them listed above in the poll. Venice? Arabs? HRE? Historically silly.

Portugal would be the only appropriate civ to add to Colonization, for all the reasons already mentioned in many of these wonderful posts.

Sweden's colonies were around for 17 years on the Delaware, before being taken over by the Dutch.

The idea of colonization, specifically in the western hemisphere, really only applied to a few powers, and certainly few of them listed above in the poll. Venice? Arabs? HRE? Historically silly.

Portugal would be the only appropriate civ to add to Colonization, for all the reasons already mentioned in many of these wonderful posts.

Sweden's colonies were around for 17 years on the Delaware, before being taken over by the Dutch.

But Denmark-Norway had their colonies for a long time, and made some serious money from them.

But Denmark-Norway had their colonies for a long time, and made some serious money from them.

Yes, I suppose this is true. When we say Denmark/Norway, we're talking about their colonies in Iceland, Greenland, and where else? Money is one thing, but the English, Portuguese, French, and Spanish colonial empires attracted not only merchants and small-scale migration, but huge shifts in population that ensured language spread and dominance on a much greater scale. I would agree that yes, the game probably would be a little more dynamic and interesting with more "Civs", or "Cols"... and would benefit from not just the addition of Portugal/Brazil, but maybe one additional power? I could see that being maybe a mesh of the Scandinavian countries, which is vague. But at least that would encompass Swedish activities - however brief, historically - in the picture, along with Iceland & Greenland and what ever other minute colonies the Scandinavians inhabited.

Yes, I suppose this is true. When we say Denmark/Norway, we're talking about their colonies in Iceland, Greenland, and where else? Money is one thing, but the English, Portuguese, French, and Spanish colonial empires attracted not only merchants and small-scale migration, but huge shifts in population that ensured language spread and dominance on a much greater scale. I would agree that yes, the game probably would be a little more dynamic and interesting with more "Civs", or "Cols"... and would benefit from not just the addition of Portugal/Brazil, but maybe one additional power? I could see that being maybe a mesh of the Scandinavian countries, which is vague. But at least that would encompass Swedish activities - however brief, historically - in the picture, along with Iceland & Greenland and what ever other minute colonies the Scandinavians inhabited.

OK, a short clarification is in order, I guess. :)

Iceland was never a colony in the normal sense - it was uninhabited when Norse farmers settled there, and the island was a pretty integral part of Norway, along with the Faroe Islands and Shetland, right up until Norway was given to Sweden after the Napoleonic Wars. Greenland, OTOH, did not really have successful settlements until fairly recently. But it IS still part of America, and the settlements there were quite colony-like. That aside, Denmark-Norway settled what today are the US Virgin Islands, as well as placing trading posts in Africa and India. The scale might have been smaller that that of, say, the Dutch, but the country was a colonial power for sure. The people living in the Virgin Islands today are not Norwegian or Danish speakers, but you'll find plenty of Norwegian speakers in other parts of North America, and the names of the towns on the islands are very much Danish (Charlotte Amalie, Christiansted, Fredriksted).

i chose portugal but russia definetley deserves a look in aswell as sweden.

Why limit itself to the Americas? (and yes, they should certainly have Portugal AT THE LEAST for the American scenario). Why not have the Scramble for Africa? Or a colonization of India scenario?

Because Colonization focussed chiefly on North American colonization, and Portugal played no real part in it. Their New World colonies were all in South America.

The original game included Spain, the Aztecs, Incas and Tupi. I wouldn't call that focusing chiefly on N. America. The omission of Portugal is the biggest gap that needs to be filled IMO.

Scotland and England were united under the same king, so it was actually a British colony, just like New England.

When the Scots tried to colonise Darien in the 17th century England and Scotland were seperate nations despite having the same king. The English refused to cooperate with the Scottish colonisation attempt due to trade rivalries.

In my opinion the four countries in the original game represent the most powerful seafaring nations of that period fairly well. Adding more civilizations would probably only dilute the diplomatic aspect of the game and Firaxis probably has more good reasons not to add extra civs. So I'd say none.

Top Bottom