Which Television Shows Are You Watching #5? If it's ...Star Trek... wrong Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sommerswerd

Shades of the Sun
Supporter
Nielsen's U.S. streaming chart, Aug 31-Sept 6, courtesy of Deadline:

Cobra Kai, Netflix (20 episodes, 2.171B minutes)
Lucifer, Netflix (75 episodes, 1.415B minutes)
The Boys, Amazon Prime (11 episodes, 891M minutes)
The Office, Netflix (192 episodes, 843M minutes)
Criminal Minds, Netflix (277 episodes, 675M minutes)
Shameless, Netflix (121 episodes, 639M minutes)
Away, Netflix (10 episodes, 631M minutes)
Grey’s Anatomy, Netflix (361 episodes, 616M minutes)
The Legend of Korra, Netflix (52 episodes, 541M minutes)
Mulan, Disney+ (1 episode, 525M minutes)

p.s. Nielsen just started releasing streaming numbers last month. Here was the inaugural list, for the week of Aug 3-9. First number is number of episodes available, second number is millions of minutes viewed. I'm fascinated to see that In the Dark was on this list. I watched a bunch of the first season, and thought it was fine, not enough to make me watch the 2nd season. I wasn't aware it had any kind of following, but I guess I was wrong.

The Umbrella Academy (20, 3,011)
Shameless (120, 1,125)
Grey’s Anatomy (361, 918)
The Office (192, 897)
Criminal Minds (277, 697)
NCIS (353, 524)
In the Dark (26, 418)
Dexter (96, 316)
Supernatural (321, 315)
Parks and Recreation (121, 304)
I watched Dexter several years ago and liked it. Away was pretty terrible and I skipped all the family drama completely after episode 3 or so. The rest was mediocre. I've never seen any of the others.

Halfway thru Wentworth Season 8

Spoiler :
Not as compelling as 7, Ferguson being still alive felt a little forced, the main 2 new characters are unlikable, it's funny to watch how characters I previously hated I come to root for over others (Marie Winter I'm now rooting for somehow)

Am not sure if this fits here but here goes.

Queen of Ambition
"K-drama TV show about a young woman who becomes consumed by greed and ambition, and, the man who once loved her who's now determined to stop her and make her pay for her past sins."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2856882/

"...

Our story begins in the present, where Joo Da Hae is the wife of Korea's President, and, Ha Ryu is a special prosecutor who's come to arrest her for her misdeeds. These two struggle with a gun until one gets shot (and is presumably dead), but, you can't tell which one takes the bullet. This all happens in the first 10 minutes of episode 1, and sets the stage for the story to come. The rest of the show is then told in the past, from the time Da Hae and Ha Ryu first met, on up through time, until they finally arrive back in the present.

As the story unfolds, we're introduced to Da Hae & Ha Ryu in their young adult lives as they meet again after not seeing each other since they were children. They begin a relationship, and, they're both fairly likable and make for a really nice couple in the beginning. Things start to unravel for them over time though, and Da Hae soon morphs into a heartless witch with zero redeeming qualities. She eventually takes all of Ha Ryu's money and leaves him & their daughter for a wealthier man without even telling anybody. From there, Da Hae keeps on climbing the "ladder of success" while stepping on the throats of everyone she comes across.

You'll find all the usual tropes that come with this genre; jealousy, family secrets, blackmail, allegiances, & power struggles are the norm. Even knowing what to expect, this show is often ridiculously over the top. Here's a sampling: (SPOILERS) Da Hae gets divorced, gets abducted, leaps from a moving car & goes on the run, cracks a safe & steals secret docs, slams her aunt in the face with a briefcase to make her escape, gives her father-in-law with the magnificently outrageous toupee a heart attack, gets her brother-in-law beaten to a pulp, tries to blow up her first husband with a car bomb but blows up her 2nd husband instead, and, sneaks off to America with the future President of Korea. All of this happens over the course of ONE SINGLE EPISODE!

If that isn't enough to convince you how unhinged this show gets, this should do it: (SUPER SPOILERS) ...."

Where can you find it, not sure, Ning is watching it on Thai tv right now.

@abradley I checked and Amazon prime has it but it is not available in the US. :(

If you don't want people to post about Star Trek here, why not include a link to the dedicated All Things Star Trek in the A&E forum? ;)
I don't care if people post about Star Trek here. It was a joke, made post-midnight, after my nightcap. Post whatever you want.

@EgonSpengler In The Dark had a strong start but by the end of S1 it collapsed into lame melodrama and never got off that bent. I gave up part way through S2.

There was also a major format change - S1 was a murder mystery where the cast tried to find out the identity of a murderer. It was wrapped up somewhat unsatisfactorily but then from S2 on, the cast became bumbling criminals themselves which was much less interesting on top of all the stupid melodrama.

Last edited:
Finished High Score Girl a couple of days ago, a weird little Netflix anime which follows a pair (/trio) of obsessive Japanese arcade-gamers through grade-school/highschool in the 90s. It ended just the way it should have.

And the plot has just thickened in iZombie S5, with Liv meeting
Spoiler :
her deadbeat dad for the first time, not realising yet — though we already know — that he was not only the chemist who cooked the tainted Utopium which caused the original boat-party outbreak, and is thus partly responsible for the zombiefication of Seattle, but is now also the leader(?) of a conspiracy to foster a nationwide zombie apocalypse.
So it will be interesting to see how that turns out...

Somehow I've managed to get up to Archer S7, the one where — having failed at being spies, and then drug-dealers — he and the rest of ISIS start a private detective agency in LA. It's definitely getting weirder, but still managing to make me chuckle.

(I've only just realised that) Archer's seasons are way shorter than Brooklyn 99's, though, because even though I usually watch one episode of each per viewing session I'm only just into B99 S4. Peralta's still an immature berk, but I'm now mainly watching for Holt (Andre Braugher) and Diaz (Stefanie Beatriz) — though the rest of the cast are also pretty funny.

Watched the first episode of Warrior Nun last week, just to see if the whole premise was as weird as it sounded. Not much happened though, so I guess I'll just have to watch E2 as well.

Also the first episode of New Girl last night. Oddly sweet, I guess, but — for something billed as a sitcom — not hugely amusing. Didn't grab me immediately, not sure if I'll stick with it.

Last edited:
I don't care if people post about Star Trek here. It was a joke, made post-midnight, after my nightcap. Post whatever you want.
Note the ;) smiley. I don't particularly want to post about Star Trek here, when we have a perfectly good thread for it in A&E.

I will just say that some of the people on another gaming forum I belong to are venturing cautiously into investigating DiscoTrek. I'm trying to steer them toward the fan films instead (Star Trek Continues and Phase II/New Voyages).

Line of Duty - well above average BBC series about police corruption.
Raised by Wolves - very interesting but patchy sci-fi series. The last episode of the series was very disappointing.
Ratched - (intentional) Wes Anderson-like sets cannot save an otherwise ordinary script.
Fargo - first three episodes are just average. Hopefully they were just the background material needed for the rest of the series. Not a patch (yet) on the previous efforts which were first-rate.

I watched Dexter several years ago and liked it. Away was pretty terrible and I skipped all the family drama completely after episode 3 or so. The rest was mediocre. I've never seen any of the others.
From that list, I think The Boys is the only show that's really good. I also watched Lucifer, Grey's Anatomy and Criminal Minds, which were all fine ways to waste some time.

@EgonSpengler In The Dark had a strong start but by the end of S1 it collapsed into lame melodrama and never got off that bent. I gave up part way through S2.

There was also a major format change - S1 was a murder mystery where the cast tried to find out the identity of a murderer. It was wrapped up somewhat unsatisfactorily but then from S2 on, the cast became bumbling criminals themselves which was much less interesting on top of all the stupid melodrama.
I agree, it started off with an intriguing premise and was pretty good for a while. But I think I only watched the last few episodes of season 1 out of a sense of duty, and I never bothered to start season 2.

And the plot has just thickened in iZombie S5, with Liv meeting
Spoiler :
her deadbeat dad for the first time, not realising yet — though we already know — that he was not only the chemist who originally cooked the tainted Utopium which caused the initial outbreak, and is thus partly responsible for the zombiefication of Seattle, but is now also conspiring to foster a nationwide zombie apocalypse.
So it will be interesting to see how that turns out...
An underrated show. I liked it a lot.

THR, 5 Oct 20 - "'GLOW' Canceled as Netflix Reverses Season 4 Renewal"
Netflix has reversed a renewal decision on its dramedy GLOW, citing COVID-19 issues in not going forward with a fourth and final season for the series.
Sources cite the large ensemble cast of GLOW and the close contact and physical exertion required of its wrestling scenes as making the show tougher to produce safely during the pandemic. The additional costs related to COVID guidelines, and the fact that the series wouldn't have aired before 2022, led the Netflix's decision.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

WTF

Makes sense though
Yeah, sadly. With the whole industry grinding to a halt, one might think they could put things on "indefinite hiatus" or whatever, but I don't know if they can do that. I bet contracts were due to run out soon, even if insurance could cover some of it. And if either Brie or Gilpin has something lined up for Summer or Fall 2021 already (having expected that GLOW would be done by then) then maybe they couldn't do it until Spring 2022 even if they were willing to negotiate a new contract.

At some point in the last season or two of Schitt's Creek, they decided Stevie wasn't the owner of the hotel she inherited and I don't think they ever explained it. Super annoying

Deadline, 5 Oct 20 - "Sterling K. Brown To Play Leo On HBO Max’s ‘West Wing’ Reunion Special"

That's interesting. I would have thought Brown is too young to play Leo, who's a peer of President Bartlett and everyone else's boss. Brown is 44, and to my eye, doesn't immediately look like a grizzled, recovering alcoholic who's been through the wars, both literal and figurative. Frankly, he's too good-looking. He should be playing Sam. :lol: I don't remember "Hartfield's Landing" clearly, though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

I tried to start Schit$$ Creek last night, and hated it (first episode only) I did not find it even remotely funny, and I dislike all the characters and don't care one whiff about their story. Just nothing in my eyes that would entice me to watch a moment more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom