• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

While We Wait: Small Discussion Thread

Terrance888

Discord Reigns
Hi, this is a While We Wait thread for all the small questions that someone might ask that are too small for a new thread. A feature (not a bug) like this is in the NESing forum and it really saves on Thread and Inthread spam of questions and discussions.

I just want to try this out here for all the small questions. Maybe it can be a FAQ thread later. Some rules:
Quote the person you are answering or responding.
All normal Forum rules please.

Ok, to start us off in a fun quest of discussion, this is my first question:
can anyone link me to Greg's video? I can't find it.

Really, where is it? Is it stream only and gone forever? I googled, binged, yahooed, asked and 2ked, but I can't find it. Can someone please find it for me.

Answered questions here:
Question written out with link/Answer post/posts
Can anyone link me to Greg's Video? Answer Post 2 with Link
How to get rid of a road I don't want to pay for anymore? Post 2 Answer Post 5 and 6
Can you only have one worker per time? Answer Yes: Post 20
Do Great wonders go obsolete? Post 26: I guess so
Discussions here:
Links to discussion posts about various things (Name of Topic: Poster's name (Post in discussion) with page number breaks and conclusion)
Necro- Zone of Control Clarification Question:Alpaca Post 13;Souron Post 14;Piderman Post 15

Unanswered Questions Here
my question is: Can units fortify in forts and citadels and get the 100/150% defense bonus?
Will you be able to turn off/destroy buildings that you no longer want to pay the maintenance cost of?
How much speed increase do (rail)roads provide? Is it like Civ3, x2 and xinf or more like Civ4, x2 and x10?

If I turn the sound off, will I still be able to play the game? No unmissable sounds cues or anything? I have a tradition of putting on Sigur Rós while playing.

Can a worker and a roman legion build a road on the same hex at twice the speed? People assumed so, but I wonder if they even bothered with the code, since you cannot stack workers.

Will you be able to turn off/destroy buildings that you no longer want to pay the maintenance cost of?

i'd like to know how zoc works, from what i understand
*x*y

*'s are the zone of control area (simplified), x is the defending unit, y is the attacking unit, from what i understood when y moves to within one hex of x (*), it uses its remaining moves, does this mean its impossible to actually attack? as if you move there you'd lose your turn and the enemy would be able to attack first?

I have a question: Can you cancel a melee attacker so he retreats? Would be usefull, but will work better with a % chance of retreat.
I'm not sure what you mean. Most combats in Civ5 where two fully healed units of similar tech level fight doesn't result in the death of a unit. So if you have a unit that can move after attacking (a mounted unit), it will be able to retreat. A melee unit can retreat in the next turn.

*x*y

*'s are the zone of control area (simplified), x is the defending unit, y is the attacking unit, from what i understood when y moves to within one hex of x (*), it uses its remaining moves, does this mean its impossible to actually attack? as if you move there you'd lose your turn and the enemy would be able to attack first?

I don't have hard information but judging from other games that implement zones of control, you will still be able to attack. It will most likely work like this: You move 0 or more tiles up to your number of movement points, then you attack. When you attack, the unit ends its turn. So you can move one tile, then into the ZoC, then attack.

*x*y

No, moving into a unit's ZOC doesn't end it's move unless it's from another ZOC tile (most likely of the same unit).

*x*y

The manual says,

When a unit moves between two tiles within an enemy’s ZOC it expends all of its MPs.
(p.53, emphasis mine).

So moving in or out of the ZoC works as normal, just moving between two squares that are both adjacent to the an unit expends all MPs.

I have a question: Can you cancel a melee attacker so he retreats? Would be usefull, but will work better with a % chance of retreat.

no, but you can however not attack.

I mean they attack, fight, you see they are having the worst of it and press a retreat button and they return to the starting tile with casualties.

Wow, more update.

I mean they attack, fight, you see they are having the worst of it and press a retreat button and they return to the starting tile with casualties.

Wow, more update.

It has never been like that, and Civ 5 is no difference. Once you attack you are committed. Now in Civ 4 some units had a chance to withdraw when the fight was going the wrong way, but it was automatic. In Civ 5 an attack doesn't have to end with one unit being destroyed. You see the chances of that when you mouseover an enemy unit before the attack. (About even, defeat, decisive victory etc).

Wow, more update.

As I said, most combats won't end with one of the combatants dying so they will kind of automatically retreat. There is no special retreat mechanic like in Civ4 and no button.

Question of my own: Bombardment states to increase combat strength against land units but it's a promotion that goes onto ranged units. Does this mean ranged combat strength by chance (because it would be almost useless otherwise since ranged units only defend with their combat strength)?

Top Bottom