• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link to video.

Everybody's trying to break your spirit
Keeping you down
Seems like it's been forever
But there's another voice if you'll just hear it
Saying it's the last round
Looks like it's now or never
Out of the darkness you stumble into the light
Fighting for the things you know are right

Dare - dare to believe you can survive
The power is there at your command
Dare - dare to keep all of your dreams alive
It's time to take a stand
And you can win, if you dare

Hardeehar, guys. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, some day you'll be able to be patronizing to younger internet message board users, and then you will know you've finally Made It.

I've been wondering, anyone here ever played a game from the City Building series, like Caesar IV? And has anyone ever played Dark Colony? They are a little dated, especially DC.

I've been wondering, anyone here ever played a game from the City Building series, like Caesar IV? And has anyone ever played Dark Colony? They are a little dated, especially DC.

I own Caesar II. I played it as a kid, but not in well over ten years now.

Dare - dare to believe you can survive
I always confuse this song with when they go the Junkion planet and have a dance number to Weird Al's "Dare to be Stupid." That movie is incredibly tonally jarring, by the way, it's unlike anything else. Watch this to see what I mean:

Link to video.

"Yeah, that sure was some genocide of innocent robot people you just watched, time for a guitar solooooo~ TRANSFORMERSSSSS, YEAHHHHH!!!" They were originally going to kill off the entire cast of Season 1 (how can you sell children toys they already own?) but after their onboard psychologists said that was a bad idea, they only killed off about half the cast.

My favorite songs in it are Nothing's Gonna Stand in Our Way, Instruments of Destruction, and the opening theme.

I own Caesar II. I played it as a kid, but not in well over ten years now.

I played Caesar IV in mid-2008. It was my first PC game, and my father was the one who bought it and taught me to play. It was a very interesting city builder, pity that as a kid I just liked to see the cities burn.

I played them all after Caesar 3. I love the series and sad they canceled the new planned one (medieval mayor), I hope it was for making another more realistic one.

Everytime I watch the news now, I think Symphony is right about humanity. And/or its like, I've stepped into a modern day NES in real life: some noob just joined as the 'Caliphate rebellion' and the player for Ukraine has quit.

I played the demo of Pharaoh, then later bought Emperor (the Chinese one). I never got too far into it, I always seemed to spiral suddenly into anarchy with loads of criminals appearing and burning everything down. I'm sure I was just being rubbish though. Was definitely fun to play, will have to dig it out again sometime.

I always confuse this song with when they go the Junkion planet and have a dance number to Weird Al's "Dare to be Stupid." That movie is incredibly tonally jarring, by the way, it's unlike anything else. Watch this to see what I mean:

Link to video.

"Yeah, that sure was some genocide of innocent robot people you just watched, time for a guitar solooooo~ TRANSFORMERSSSSS, YEAHHHHH!!!" They were originally going to kill off the entire cast of Season 1 (how can you sell children toys they already own?) but after their onboard psychologists said that was a bad idea, they only killed off about half the cast.

My favorite songs in it are Nothing's Gonna Stand in Our Way, Instruments of Destruction, and the opening theme.

Totally agree with you on this. I'm going through a phase of listening to these songs again and Nothing's Gonna Stand in Our Way is my new favourite.

It is jarring, I think I first saw it on VHS tape in 1987/1988, when I was no more than 5 years old, but then I didn't understand a lot of things. It was only when I downloaded the movie again in 2003 that I realised a lot of the dialogue really does not flow very naturally. And yeah - scenes of brutal violence and destruction and matter-of-fact killing, interspersed with happy uplifting scenes.

Still love it though... As a child it opened my consciousness to epic ideas like planet-eating protagonists and giant robots fighting with laser guns over a futuristic city. And spaceships. And dinosaurs. And victory being won by the combined spiritual essence of the Autobots destroying the enemy from the inside out after being swallowed into the very bowels of evil. Nothing has quite matched that epicness since.

Now I think about it, The Matrix: Revolutions totally copied the ending to this movie :)

Everytime I watch the news now, I think Symphony is right about humanity. And/or its like, I've stepped into a modern day NES in real life: some noob just joined as the 'Caliphate rebellion' and the player for Ukraine has quit.

I played the demo of Pharaoh, then later bought Emperor (the Chinese one). I never got too far into it, I always seemed to spiral suddenly into anarchy with loads of criminals appearing and burning everything down. I'm sure I was just being rubbish though. Was definitely fun to play, will have to dig it out again sometime.
Emperor was actually the only one that wasn't made by the same company.

Totally agree with you on this. I'm going through a phase of listening to these songs again and Nothing's Gonna Stand in Our Way is my new favourite.
Its lyrics are a little suggestive at some points and since the nearest phone is still an old corded one, every time the phone rings in the song I think there's an actual call. I appreciated the callback to all of the Stan Bush stuff at the end of War for Cybertron:

Link to video.

From what I could see, all the games before Caesar IV have outdated graphics, but that did not stoped me from having lots of fun with Pharaoh. But I must admit that a more polished look enhances the attractiveness of a game. Also, in the newer version, the city population acts more realistically, although this is not the focus of the game.

And when structures burn or collapse, the debris are realistic, rather than a pile of stones. -_-

From what I could see, all the games before Caesar IV have outdated graphics, but that did not stoped me from having lots of fun with Pharaoh. But I must admit that a more polished look enhances the attractiveness of a game. Also, in the newer version, the city population acts more realistically, although this is not the focus of the game.

And when structures burn or collapse, the debris are realistic, rather than a pile of stones. -_-
They do need a new looking game. There are some other series for that thought... But yes they really do, and medieval mayor was not going to save them in regard to looks.

As for Caesar 4, it stank, and you know it. And while the "realistic" population was helpful, it didn't have the bustling busy streets look (which is why in medieval mayor they intended to return to the random walkers). In Zeus they already solved the buildings not finding workers by canceling out the guy who looks for workers. The problem with Zeus was that there wasn't so much in it unlike Pharaoh with the all the unique monuments. But the fighting was more fun in Zeus, I mostly just hated the mythology side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom