Who's going to win EURO 2008?

Who's going to win EURO 2008?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like Spain, Fabregas, Torres and all those other excellent players :drool:

We will win.If not our manager has to resign.I will be happy both way.

Btw. I picked my country at the poll:p

I'd love Spain to win it because i'm friendly with some Spaniards I worked with but they tell me it'll almost never happen. I was sure they'd win Germany 06 but they just laughed at me.

Maybe the Netherlands will win to get the idea of winning out of their system and let Scotland beat them in the 2010 WC Qualifiers ;)

But in all seriousness, I'd say Germany

Most Spaniards really are indeed terribly pessimistic with their national squad, unless they play 2 good games in a row and many (especially in central Spain) will convert into we're-the-best-and-will-win-no-doubt fans. Why is that?

1. They're serial under achievers and haven't won anything since 1964.

2. They've had a couple of very good players but let's face it, no Zidane, Baggio, Van Basten, Beckenbauer, Platini, Cruiff, Best... In fact, the only Spanish player who won the ballon d'or was Luis Suarez in....1960...

3. Despite #2 they're always among favorites, and the mediocre national media usually set their expectations ridiculously high, which makes the difference with, say Greece or Denmark that were no more talented than Spain but had no pressure whatsoever.

4. Many Spaniards (especially from Catalonia and the Basque country) don't feel Spanish and love nothing better than seeing "la furia roja" being humiliated. During last world cup I could hear fireworks and people cheering outside my flat when France defeated Spain. And believe me, they aren't particularly keen on "les bleus". Now that applies to fans, does it also apply to Catalan and Basque players to a smaller extent?

But I agree with you steviejay, that it would be nice to see them winning something one day, especially here in Catalonia to see people's reactions.

I like Spain, Fabregas, Torres and all those other excellent players :drool:

They generally do not do well as a nation in these tournaments, so I doubt that it will change.

Torres is BTW one of the most overrated players since Beckham. Fabregas has the potential to become world class, and there's a bunch of very good players like Puyol, Sergio Ramos, Xavi or Iniesta. The only world class player IMO is Casillas.
All in all Spain lacks firepower up front.

Well, Spain does make a chance. But then again, I think a lot of teams do, so I couldn't really vote on the poll, so I went with the Netherlands, out of national pride.

I think it's quite poor compared to:
Ribéry-Henry-Malouda
Van Persie-Van Nistelrooy-Robben
Ronaldo-Nuno Gomes-Quaresma

Villa is good, but Vicente and Joaquin.... I have my doubts.

I dont find other examples realistic and deleted them.IMHO Malouda-Henry-Ribery is equal to VVJ.
Maybe Van Persie-Van Nistelrooy- Robben trio is a little stronger than VVJ but not too much.(IMHO Robben-Van Nistelrooy-Sneijder would be really stronger,but Van Persie... Now I have my doubts.)

Ronaldo- Nuno Gomes-Quaresma.Well of course Ronaldo is better than Vicente.But Quaresma is weaker than Joaquin.And I would never compare Villa with Nuno Gomes.Big difference.IMHO;)

Yes, Villa is much better than Nuno Gomes. However I think you should revise your opinion on these two players:

Van Persie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-NgsG13uH4
Quaresma: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8H55jkZeQ

And I've watched quite a lot of Joaquin in the last two seasons, he hasn't done anything special, neither for Valencia nor for Spain. He was promising when younger, but he's been definitely overrated IMO.

As for Vicente, injuries have unfortunately prevented him from being more than a good player.

Let's see what Raul does in the second part of the season, though, as it looks like he's coming back to a decent level.

I dont find other examples realistic and deleted them.IMHO Malouda-Henry-Ribery is equal to VVJ.
Maybe Van Persie-Van Nistelrooy- Robben trio is a little stronger than VVJ but not too much.(IMHO Robben-Van Nistelrooy-Sneijder would be really stronger,but Van Persie... Now I have my doubts.)

Ronaldo- Nuno Gomes-Quaresma.Well of course Ronaldo is better than Vicente.But Quaresma is weaker than Joaquin.And I would never compare Villa with Nuno Gomes.Big difference.IMHO;)

I find Van Persie way better than Robben. Less diving, less cool tricks, more goals.

slightly OT but where is Robben now? I don't think he's still at Chelsea.

I find Van Persie way better than Robben. Less diving, less cool tricks, more goals.

I didnt saw this season any Arsenal match.Maybe he has improved his game,but I am still for Sneijder:)

Top Bottom