Why add orthodoxy and protestantism but not an African or Native american religion?

Civilizations per branch Christian:

Catholicism:
Austria
Brazil
France
Germany (with a slight difference of Protestantism)
Netherlands (with a slight difference of Protestantism)
Poland
Portugal
Spain
Venice

Protestant:
America
Denmark
Sweden

Orthodoxy:
Byzantium
Ethiopia
Greece
Ottomans
Russia

Anglicanism:
England

Because each country follow a branch of Christianity, I agree with the division of Christianity

Atheism is present in the game, mind you. All civilizations start with atheism and remain atheistic as long as someone doesn't invent the firs pantheon and fund an organized religion.

In the game, I think the preferences are this:

Catholicism:

Celts
Venice
Rome
Spain
Portugal
Aztecs
Maya
Inca
Austria

Protestantism:

America
England
Germany
Shoshone
Iroquois
Zulu
Netherlands
Denmark

Orthodoxy:

Byzantines
Ethiopia
Russia
Greece

Islam:

Ottomans
Morocco
Arabia
Indonesia
Egypt
Carthage

Zoroastrianism:

Assyria
Persia
Babylon

Buddhism:

Siam

Hinduism:

India

Confucianism:

Korea

Taoism:

China

Shinto:

Japan

Tengriism:

Mongols
Huns

I prefer it like this:

Anglicanism:
England

Assyrian Orthodox:
Assyria
Babylon

Calvinism:
Celts
Netherlands

Catholicism:
Austria
Brazil
France
Portugal
Rome
Spain
Venice

Eastern Orthodox:
Byzantine Empire
Greece
Ottoman Empire
Russia

Lutheranism:
Denmark
Germany
Sweden

Oriental Orthodox:
Egypt
Ethiopia
Zulu?

Protestantism:
America
Meso-American?

For the same reason there is no Greek or Roman or Egyptian religion (which I dare say were much more sophisticated than African religions) - these tribal and pagan religions, limited to a single tribe or civilization, are represented by pantheon beliefs.

The religions in Civilization V are all big world religions with followers around the globe.

I agree with the OP. It sickens me that the New World civs (Aztecs, Incans, etc.) have to resort to Christianity. It makes no sense.

I often choose Buddhism or Sikhism for some of the new world civs. If you look at the actual tenets of those religions, there are some interesting similarities to new world beliefs. So I look past the name and go for what "feels" right.

If you wanted you could always rename the religion when you found it. That's one of the nice things about the system.

Um, because the Native Americans practiced mostly animism and other early forms or religion?

I didn't realise the native americans could go back in time :rolleyes:

Whatever you may judge their "level" of religion to be, it was certainly no "earlier" form of religion than the old world religions. Unless you count Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc too as early forms religions because they were founded long ago. It most certainly wasn't an early form in that it remained undeveloped, religion in america developed considerable over the millenia, animism wasn't some stagnant thing they developed and left as it was. It certainly wasn't less sophisticated than old world religion either. It was just different.

[remove]

[remove]

Top Bottom