Why collective rule speeds up settlers training only in your capital?

Pep

King
I don't understand why Collective Rule only speeds up settler training in your capital. IMO it wouldn't be overpowered if it also improved settler's training in the rest of your cities.

What I don't like of its current behaviour is that usually my capital is my highest production city. I usually build wonders in it and wants to develop it ASAP. Having to train settlers in it, slows its development and makes you lose some of the earlier wonders race.

Also, as a social policy in the Liberty branch, I don't understand why the benefit applies only to your capital. It would make more sense if this policy were in the Tradition branch.

What do you think?

it's already a really powerful policy, it doesn't need any boosting.

Yeah, the free settler is well worth the trade-off for the 50% in all the other cities.

If you pick that SP early in the game, which come on, don't we all? That whole branch got a steroid infusion. Is there anyone who doesn't take the Liberty route? I think it needs some more balance. There should be some downside to conquest or something to make it less a one-size-fits-all social policy branch.

it's already a really powerful policy, it doesn't need any boosting.

What I don't like is being forced to use my capital to build settlers. In fact, I consider this policy powerful only because it allows me to obtain my first settler for free while I'm building one of the early wonders in my capital.

If you consider it too powerful I suggest another change: speed settler's training only in cities with a granary. I really not see the point in limiting the benefits only to your capital.

The fact that you don't like building a settler in your capitol means they have found an interesting trade-off to offer you, half price settlers vs further work on your wonders. If you dislike it bad enough, you will decide one way, otherwise you will decide another. Differing strategies, play styles, and situations will affect the decision accordingly. Civ 5 has few enough interesting decisions as it is.

It's still a very, very valuable policy if you are trying to expand. The free settler is a HUGE boost that early in the game, and I find I'm usually building most settlers in my capital anyways so the production boost helps out there too. Grow as big as you can before you hit that policy (I like the early granary) and then you will be able to pump them out wicked fast to grab all the land.

The fact that you don't like building a settler in your capitol means they have found an interesting trade-off to offer you, half price settlers vs further work on your wonders. If you dislike it bad enough, you will decide one way, otherwise you will decide another. Differing strategies, play styles, and situations will affect the decision accordingly. Civ 5 has few enough interesting decisions as it is.

Precisely, I would prefer more decisions: let me choose freely the city in which I want to train the settlers. Now this decision is almost forced: The capital is almost always the highest production city at the beginning (due to the palace) and it has usually high food tiles. When you have allied maritime City States, food from them is doubled in the capital.

I would like to found a second city near high food and producion tiles so I could train settlers on it. Without the %50 bonus it's greatly discouraged.

What I don't like is being forced to use my capital to build settlers. In fact, I consider this policy powerful only because it allows me to obtain my first settler for free while I'm building one of the early wonders in my capital.

We get it. You want cake, AND a fork.

But there has to be SOME balance.

Free Settler AND Faster Settlers everywhere would be seriously OP.

Heck, just FASTER SETTLERS everywhere were considered OP for ICS strats.

I generally struggled as to define the role of my capital. It's the best place to build settlers/units/wonders/buildings over and above any other city. I will always build the barracks and armoury in my capital. The trade off I discovered long ago was to not really care about wonders. Apart from the occasional one or two, they are distractions that make you more vulnerable than their benefit outweighs.

And settlers are generally easier to buy as and when you need them; which shouldn't be often in the whole scheme of things.

Top Bottom