Why do you like civilization 6?

Tarzan737

Warlord
I have hard to understand you who likes civ 6 even if i respect your opinion!
i really wish i could like the game to, maybye i will later if they fix the problems and give it
a world congress again!

anyway i have a question to you that like civilization 6..

have you ever tried to play civilization 5 with the mod vox populi?

to you that have.. i don´t understand you even if i still respect you and your opinion if you like civ6 better

to you that haven´t tried civilization 5 with the mod vox populi and likes civ6, please try civ5 with that mod!

I have tried v.p on civ v and really enjoyed it. The only issue is that it's not entirely stable, at least for me. I have had a multitude of issues despite meticulously following directions to make sure any mod installed afterwards is incorporated with v.p properly. The last time I suffered a game breaking bug with just the base mod installed I uninstalled the mod and components and went back to painstakingly installing individual mods that didn't break my game or render my saves unloadable.

On a side note, mods in general now remind me why I feel Rise of Mankind for civ 4 is hands down the best mod ever made for a Civ game. The modders did all the hard work of incorporating multiple(and by multiple I mean a lot) mods into one so all you had to do was download an installer and base files. V.P is too unorganized for me and still needs plenty of content thus the need for pick and mix and the other loads of content. While the info provided for what mods will and will not work with v.p is quite extensive it does not seem 100% accurate nor thoroughly tested for stability.

Why should I have to play a game with a modification just for the subjective argument that it might make it better than another game without modifications?

I'm a long-time modder of various games myself, but I've never understood the argument of "mods will fix this for you". People gave me the same argument when I said I didn't enjoy aspects of Skyrim. Sorry, but I shouldn't have to be beholden to mods (which require maintenance and can cause conflicts) when it comes to game preference for me. Mods can improve a game, but that's it. If I prefer a different version of that game, that's entirely my choice.

Civilisation 6 offers systems that aren't present in CiV, and offers aesthetics that I personally prefer. It performs better on my machine, and as such is a qualitative upgrade without factoring in mods for either game. To me it isn't fair to say "but with this mod that has years of development invested in it it could make CiV as or more enjoyable", because that's a pretty obvious statement to make. CiV itself would be a wholly more immersive experience if Firaxis had spent six additional years working on it. But they didn't get to, and I enjoy the base design of Civilisation 6.

I don't know Vox Populi, and I don't know if I'd agree with the design choices that mod makes. For a luxury pastime that is video games, I prefer minimal effort for maximum enjoyment. Tinkering with modifications is a barrier to that enjoyment in the first instance, and honestly I simply don't bother with them much anymore.

I have hard to understand you who likes civ 6 even if i respect your opinion!
i really wish i could like the game to, maybye i will later if they fix the problems and give it
a world congress again!

anyway i have a question to you that like civilization 6..

have you ever tried to play civilization 5 with the mod vox populi?

to you that have.. i don´t understand you even if i still respect you and your opinion if you like civ6 better

to you that haven´t tried civilization 5 with the mod vox populi and likes civ6, please try civ5 with that mod!
To be fair, just ask yourself this question : which game would have your preference if the mod vox populi was available for both ?

I love VP and play it currently. I also love Civ 6 but cannot play it currently due to the brain dead AI. I love VP because it is challenging and competitive. I love Civ 6 because of the new systems and that it has so much "potential". I hope one day to be able to say I love Civ 6 AND play it.

Well, I'm biased. I never liked V. I was super hyped before the release and then it was released... All throughout expansions I played it alright, because it's a civilization game and I need my civilization fix. But I also resented it all throughout. It was like a family member that you hate and blame for your favorite granny's death (IV), but can't exclude from your family, because it's family. So you put up with your stepbrother's (V) crap for years... Then, comes along this very pretty distant cousin (VI) that you've never really seen before and to whom you are disturbingly attracted to. She is so wrong and disturbed in the head on so many levels, but you can't help yourself. She starts whispering things into your ear and the next thing you know you've put a bullet into your stepbrother's head.

Oh, and um... agree with Gorbles on the modding thingy.

I hated CIV5 vanilla after 50 hours of playing, ... till now... But i kept playing it for another 1000 hours till I gave up... yeah it was a CIVILIZATION game.

Why did they change so much from civ4 to civ5?

Only in the beginning of this year I've played civ5 with the expansions and later with the VP... im still not liking it... but i agreed that it's much more challenging with that mod.

But i don't know why I love civ 6. It will be a great game. Civ5 vanilla was an empty game with an AI as stupid as one from civ 6.

How some people can't remember how it was civ5 vanilla in that year on December? I will never forget it.

Greetings, I usually read this forum and never felt the need of posting, however, this topic kinda catch my attention and feel like answering it. So I created an account just to answer it.

First of all, I will admit that I'm fairly "new" to the Civ franchise. I started at Civ5, because I never took the time to understand the game before, even if I tried a game on older versions. Since Civ5, I really learned how the game works even if I'm not that good, I'm not doing badly. Before moving to Civ6, I was still learning how to handle King difficulty, so yeah, still a long way to go. I play Civ6 since its release, but not as hardcore as some people. I barely have 70 hours of gameplay so far.

Right now, I do like both Civ5:BNW and Civ6, but will I play Civ5? I doubt it. Why? Because Civ6 has new features that I actually enjoy pretty much. So here's why I enjoy Civ6:

- First of all, the district system is one of them. Just the fact that your cities actually look like a city, instead of a huge bunker, it feels more immersive and realistic to how a city actually looks like. It needs some improvement, yes, but right now, I really like that direction and I was very skeptical at first, until I tried it.

- The visual display. Strangly, at first, I wasn't sure about the cartoony look, but after a while, it feels better. The leader's models are really nice looking and feels way easier to create mods for custom leaders and give them an animation.

- The way to create Wonders. Finally, you can see easily who has what Wonders, because they are on the field. It was something that I found stupid in the previous versions, a city could have every Wonders and still be able to fit more... Then, when a Wonder was built by someone else and I'm like: "I want that Wonder badly!" I usually geared up to fight the leader that has it, but it's pretty hard to know where it is. Yes, most of the time it's the capital, but it's not always the case. So the fact that you can no longer create "Wonders City" is a great thing.

- Eureka/Inspiration moment. It creates some strategy to the table. Some are pretty random, some are pretty easy to achieve, but it gives a feeling of improving your civilization based on your actions or, sometime, the others actions. I'll take the example of the Eureka for archery which is to kill a unit with a Slinger unit. While it brings a bonus on the tech tree, it also brings some kind of tutorial to new players, because that player will look at them and will feels to try it.

- Support units. Finally, some units other than a Great General or Great Admiral that brings something to units. Pretty fun to have 1 or 2 balloons to help your artillery to stay out of reach. It removes the feeling of simply having a unit being gamebreaking. In Civ5, getting artillery was very game changing. In Civ6, while it's still good, to have the same strength, you need those units and the more you bring, the stronger they are.

- Religion wars. Finally, religion means something and needs to notice. In Civ5, I mostly skip religion because it was a waste of ressources. Sure, it has some nice bonus, but that's all. In Civ6, it brings a new "pacifist" way to win. I quote it, because there's some great conflit but these feels very strategic because losing a religion war inside the border of someone is a costly lost.

- City-State no longer being based on money. In Civ5, the only way to keep City-State was to have a great economy or being Greece. In Civ6, it's constantly changing due to the envoy system and that system encourage the player to not being forced to have the "Greatest economy" or playing as Greece to keep them. With the World Congress system of Civ5, it was a point to keep in great consideration. In Civ6, I know that I can play without having to sovern a City-State, for now, because it will only bring a bonus instead of a win Condition. And I know that it's pretty hard to keep the control over half of the City-State.

I think I've said mostly why I really like Civ6. It's not perfect, as some people are saying, yes, it's easier, I did see it since I have no difficulty with King difficulties and I'm trying Emperor. I also cheesed out a Diety Victory (less easy than Civ5, but still) by playing a duel game versus the Kongo and rushed the Religion victory. In Civ5, the cheesy way is to create a game with 10 AI in the same team as you vs a single AI and play a Score victory with a limit of 1 turn... Like I've said, I will not deny the fact that the AI is weaker and based on bonus gained through difficulties, I wished the AI would be more than bonus at higher difficulties but I do know how difficult it is to do.

Now, for the Vox Populi mod, nope I never tried it. Why? Because why would I play another game within a game that I already like? I did like the BNW expansion right off the bat so, like others have said, I never felt the need to reduce my game stability to "play someone else game". Because that's what is Vox Populi, it's "someone else game". I'm saying this because everyone playing the game may have a different opinion on the game. So if everyone creates a mod for it, it will be endless. So I don't feel the need to add a mod in Civ5.

Civ6 is still young in it's lifespan. Unlike CivBE, which I was interested but feels very boring due to lack of "faction identity", I quickly like the game. It has soo many potential. It's not perfect because there's some flaws, one being the mid/end game colonisation being very hard due to the District production cost and the lack of city improvements to compensate. However, when I compare Civ5: BNW and vanilla Civ6, while there's some differences, I feel like Civ6 has more potential once he'll have the same number of expansions.

TLDR: Just read the post and don't be lazy! ;)

Well, I'm biased. I never liked V. I was super hyped before the release and then it was released... All throughout expansions I played it alright, because it's a civilization game and I need my civilization fix. But I also resented it all throughout. It was like a family member that you hate and blame for your favorite granny's death (IV), but can't exclude from your family, because it's family. So you put up with your stepbrother's (V) crap for years... Then, comes along this very pretty distant cousin (VI) that you've never really seen before and to whom you are disturbingly attracted to. She is so wrong and disturbed in the head on so many levels, but you can't help yourself. She starts whispering things into your ear and the next thing you know you've put a bullet into your stepbrother's head.

Oh, and um... agree with Gorbles on the modding thingy.

Perverted... Twisted... Crippled!! However, this was a good read and made me have a good chuckle so perhaps my mind is just as Perverted, Twisted and Crippled!

I really really like the district system.

No, I have not tried the Vox Populi mod in Civ 5.

[..]Now, for the Vox Populi mod, nope I never tried it. Why? Because why would I play another game within a game that I already like? I did like the BNW expansion right off the bat so, like others have said, I never felt the need to reduce my game stability to "play someone else game". Because that's what is Vox Populi, it's "someone else game". I'm saying this because everyone playing the game may have a different opinion on the game. So if everyone creates a mod for it, it will be endless. So I don't feel the need to add a mod in Civ5. [..]
I pretty much agree with everything you said in that post except the excerpt above.. Mods allow to personalize and expand the scope of games, without mods the only way i'd spend money on mainstream titles --that appeal to a broader audience-- is if i find it in bargain bin, and then likely drop it after one play-through. What can I say, the older i get the less patience I have for busy work i.e. doing the same things I did hundreds of times before.

I do not like Civ 6. Gone back to Civ 5 after 71 hours of gameplay on Civ 6. Been on the franchise since Civ 1.
Wrong thread mate, read the thread title..

Last edited:
The question is quite a loaded one and quite frankly biased but anyway in reply.

I never played vox populi and never intend to because i always find such mods to end up going too far. I had a quick look around to find some of the changes and features it seems like a give you everything mod. Now my information may or may not be out of date but from what i saw of the tech tree and its description it rebalanced it so there was a bit of everything everywhere so you don't choose a path to focus on such as warmonger or cultural or naval but instead got a bit of everything whichever path you chose so there is no real risk/benefit decision.

The short version is i generally like the new mechanics of the game but many of them are let down by the current AI lack of aggressiveness in particular but there are some increasingly good mods coming along which are helping to improve the AI without actually changing the game itself.

I like the unique leader agendas which finally give leaders some personality, and I like the districts/wonder system.

I have loved every Civ game - including this one. Civ V was great (with Brave New World) but just didn't have enough war for me - way too peaceful.

Civ VI is genuinely different. OK it needs some changes and expansions but it feels like a new challenge and I can see every game being quite different too which I cant say about Civ V which became very much follow the same pattern to win for me after a few years playing.

I like Civ 6 because thinking about it at night makes me go bye-byes. Seriously playing Civ 6 is like having carnal knowledge of a dead sheep.

1) Global Happiness gone
2) Policy card system. I didn't like how in Civ V the policies stacked up and were permanent. Tradition was the very best way to start, always.
3) The agendas of the AI, it makes each AI feel more unique. Plus the secret agenda which you have to find out.

VI definitely needs work, but I like the new mechanisms overall. Districts are cool, wonders on the map are interesting. City state envoys at least means it's not just a gold-rush. The AI sucks, and the game is too easy (you can still easy crush the world even at the high levels, which is just wrong), but there are a lot of really cool things in the new game that I don't feel the need to play 5.

I never tried the mod listed for 5. I don't mind some mods - I think 4 had a "better UI" mod that I used all the time. But once the mods really dig deep into the fundamentals, I start having some problems. I think i'm just more the type that would rather play the slightly flawed original version that the slightly better modded version. If you want to play the VP mod that completely alters everything, go ahead, I'm not going to stop you. I mean, for me, I stopped playing civ5 probably a year ago or so. Maybe if I played with the mod I would have kept playing longer, but I have other games too. I don't really see the point of going back and playing on 5 anymore - I remember once 5 came out, I tried playing 4 again and there were just some things that I missed, and it made the previous game worse. I imagine it's the same now - I'd try playing 5, even if it had a "make the AI perfect and remove all balance issues" mod, and I'd still miss certain systems from the new game, and just wouldn't have as much fun.

So for now, I will simply enjoy the new systems from 6, and when it comes to the stupid AI, oh well, it's like playing against the MeatBots from perfect dark. They don't pose a challenge, and I like facing a good opponent, but sometimes it can still be fun to mow them down.

I like the;
1. District System
2. No Global Happiness
3. Policy Cards

I dislike the;
1. Eureka/Inspiration
2. Underwhelming Wonders
3. Religious Victory Condition
4. City State Relationships

I think people forget how shallow Cvi5 was and needed years worth of expansion development.Civ6 will only need one.

Top Bottom