Why does nearly everyone here prefer civdos over win civ?

stwils

Emperor
I have kept all my old computers so I can play all versions of civ 1. But I can't understand why the majority here prefer civ dos.

I love the music that is in civ net. It is far more complete. I don't use it to play online.

Do you prefer the old dos version for nostalgic reasons? please explain to me why nearly all of you prefer it.

Stwils

I had always been playing with CivDOS since my little childhood. Man, that time beating Chieftain was a great challenge and Warlord seemed to be impossible... I just do not feel the need to change, maybe its the memories, my history with this version. I didn't know CivWin exists until I got Intenet in 2005. Additionally the looks of CivDOS are more appealing to me than CivWin's. The colourful, expressive graphics are fine to me. They have always been fine to me. And I really can't accept that they reshuffled the Civ colours :)

About the sounds you are totally right, I never turn sounds on in CivDOS. I usually play with custom music.

Probably a mixture of

1. Familiarity

2. Graphical preferences

3. Compatibility (Both then and now you need extra software to run CivWin)

4. Performance (It was easier to run CivDOS at full speed than CivWin in the early 90s)

Top Bottom