Why doesn't the AI use its resources?

mtnbiker

Chieftain
I've been a lifelong Civilization player since Civ 1 and a frequent reader (but not poster) in these forums.

In nearly every game I've played in the Industrial-Future eras the AI very rarely uses it's Oil and Aluminium to build units. In all my Games I have only once or twice seen any AI modern armors, helicopters, rocket artillery, stealth bombers and missile cruisers, battleships, tanks (never more than one or two) and the rest of the resource specific units.

The AI nearly always has the necessary resources, often times they seem to have the largest reserves in the world, but yet they don't utilize it for units.

In the last few weeks i've broken out into basic modding; stopping the tech tree and making slight unit and gameplay changes.

One theory i came up with is that the AI views the potential of a resource more for its ability to speed their process of creating units then for actual individual units themselves. For instance, the building of a hydro plant is more long term beneficial, yielding in the creation of more units, and thus worth more than a single unit.

To test this theory i disabled the hydro plant and played a few test games watching the AI closely, they built more aluminium based units occasionally, but not always, sometimes seemingly disregarding their 30+ aluminum (with mines).

Additionally since the last patch, when Mobile Sams were changed to not need aluminium The AI have a tendency to build and cover nerly every hex with them.

All of the above experiences have also occurred with several friends of mine.

Is anyone else having these problems?

Most of the games described above were on Immortal or Deity.

Thanks

-Mtnbiker

The AI had a bad experience with resources in the last game and likes to stay safe inside its cities where it has lots of bonus hammers and happiness to keep it company.

a) its too busy building aa guns

b) runaway player has all strategic resources

c) by the time it reaches modern age it already has heaps of units which it has built up over the course of the game these tend to be resourceless units, it then never builds the strategic resource units because i) they are the wrong flavor ii) it has already reached its preferred number of units count

I tend to see: infantry, mech infantry, artillery, aa guns (LOTS of aa guns)/mobile sams, a few destroyers, occasional fighter

EDIT:

and anti tank guns

the issue is that the ai does not build units according to strategic consideration it does something like:

need more units?

if no: build something else

if yes: based on flavors randomly select unit, build unit

Last game Rome had like 30 fighters and Siam around 25. Also tanks and what not. Don't know if Thallasicus' balance mods change that at all though but I do know both of those require Oil in his version.

What I hate the most is them having 16 000 gold and still not upgrading their cannons to artillery...

Top Bottom