Why don't you like Orbis

Why don't you like Orbis?

• It is just too weird (changed FfH basics too much)

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Not unique enough

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Not enough features

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Too many crashes

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • The economy is not balanced

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • AI is weak

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • The guilds are too powerful

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • OOS and other issues that break multiplayer

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Ahwaric, take this pie and a break from modding...

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other (explained below)

Votes: 17 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love Orbis! If it's not getting enough attention I suspect that's because it's buried away in the forum hierarchy. I've been playing FFH for years but hadn't even heard about this mod until someone recommended it on another forum.

I am trying Orbis out for the first time, and so far it's :rockon:
The changes to improvements are EXCELLENT. For the first time, I'm running a civ that isn't elf on FoL and doing quite well at it. Gotta love forester huts. The 3 food per pop certainly took a little getting used to, but I can see why it needed to be done.
The civics are amazing. Categorized in a very logical fashion without anything seeming like a right answer. I can do something other then sit on City States. I also like how even early early civics have special features, like building troops with food. Really helps against early barbarians.
The tech tree is interesting. Some things seem rather odd, but make sense upon further consideration. It seems like there are more interdependencies then before, which I like, but maybe that's just my imagination.
Finally, the changes to units make so much sense. Hey guys, we invented bronze weapons and EVERYONE can use them. Seriously, why wouldn't a hunter be able to wield a bronze knife? It makes the iron line tech useful no matter what you're doing. Giving many units negative modifiers to city attack was also brilliant. Means that even with all units benefiting from the metal line you'll still want melee troops for that final push. Also quite happy to see pikemen thrown into the mix. Even in the era of arquebus and cannon, pikemen were a staple of most armies. Now that can be reflected in game again.
Oh, and thanks for putting a national limit on arquebus. Late late game always became a sea of arquebus with the occasional national unit. Not that exciting.

I'm sure there are negatives to be found. Haven't tried it out in multiplayer yet (plan to, once I get my friends on board) and haven't gotten to see the AI in action. I'll be posting more feedback as I acquire it.

I still love Orbis, even if I'd like to see LENA merged into it (since LENA is no longer updated; especially the portion on traits). Orbis could also use a more comprehensive list of new features. It is very hard to find a list of any kind that describes exactly what Orbis actually DOES, aside from the most general description.

I feel like Orbis is the only modmod that develops slowly and sensibly, although it seems to have come almost to a halt. It unfortunately seems to get very little exhibition.

I'm sure there are negatives to be found. Haven't tried it out in multiplayer yet (plan to, once I get my friends on board) and haven't gotten to see the AI in action. I'll be posting more feedback as I acquire it.

The one and only thing that is IMHO terrible in Orbis is AI. The modmod would be a much better if AI were a little smarter.
At the moment I enjoy the PBEM games that I play with others from this forums very much

I don't post much, but I figured I'd answer the question. Over all I like Orbis a lot, there are just a few key problems. One, the change to fireball. It's now just a weaker version of maelstrom. Also, the summon-upkeep bug. Those two things nerf magic badly, and I consider magic one of the cool innovations of FFH2 and it's mods.

The other major problem is all the OOS errors. My friends and I really like to play multiplayer, but Orbis just isn't an option. Which is really a shame, I think, because my friends find vanilla FFH2 lacking, and I don't like the changes FF and RifE made to werewolves. Orbis could be the perfect mod for us, but it isn't.

Now, most other things I do like, and I can avoid the issues I've mentioned by not using magic in single-player games, but I'd love to one day be able to see how my brother, who is a big fan of the Amurites and magic, does against me with Orbis's super-werewolf Doviello. (which I love, by the way)

Ahwaric! - You have created my favorite modmod (Orbis) by far. My cousin and I have played Orbis with more time than any other cIV variation. I just hope you are having fun testing Civ V (if you were a tester - you should have been) and getting ready for some cool mods, because as a modder you are way awesome. Thank you for all the fun and your willingness to listen to outside ideas.

Orbis is my favorite mod.

i BOUGHT civ 4 from steam today JUST TO PLAY ORBIS so make those bastards give you a commission. seriously. i used to have civ 4, but old computer broke down and in the time it took me to get a new one, my discs were bunked.

all i could do was WANT TO PLAY ORBIS. so don't shortsell yourself. if you want to improve something, just add items like in fall further.

Top Bottom