Why don't you like Orbis

Why don't you like Orbis?

• It is just too weird (changed FfH basics too much)

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Not unique enough

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Not enough features

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Too many crashes

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • The economy is not balanced

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • AI is weak

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • The guilds are too powerful

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • OOS and other issues that break multiplayer

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Ahwaric, take this pie and a break from modding...

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other (explained below)

Votes: 17 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That part I completely agree with; It's also what we're trying to do in RifE atm. ;)

I completly disagree. If there is one FFH modmod that added very unique and interesting civs, it is FF. I think all their civs can keep up with vanilla FFH civs (think Malakim or Hippus). Also keep in mind that FF refined the Elohim.

sorry for offtopic, but since I like Orbis I can't contribute to the topic :p

I completly disagree. If there is one FFH modmod that added very unique and interesting civs, it is FF. I think all their civs can keep up with vanilla FFH civs (think Malakim or Hippus). Also keep in mind that FF refined the Elohim.

sorry for offtopic, but since I like Orbis I can't contribute to the topic :p

You misinterpreted my post (admittedly easy, as I didn't explain it): I was replying to his last line.

Probably MOAR really can be a good basis for creative design, but the step of polishing the new ideas has to be done at some time.

That is what we're working on in RifE. Not just on FF civs, it's actually primarily FfH civs. We're addressing ALL civs, and updating/polishing them to match our new features.

Off topic, just wanted to clarify that I wasn't bashing FF civs. My second favorite civ (Only behind D'tesh) are the Archos. :p

Off topic, just wanted to clarify that I wasn't bashing FF civs. My second favorite civ (Only behind D'tesh) are the Archos. :p
I am sure no one was bashing FF civs. My favorite were the lizard civs. Lots of unique art and playstyle and I think like many other new civs they are very well polished.

Yeah I also said that I played FF a lot. But only since a year when they started to improve their civs. Archos gained a lot from the new spider promos, Dural gained a lot from the new religious buildings, Austrin gained a lot from the new ritual. Ok and Scions were always awesome (But also very confusing. That gigantic mass of new buildings and units first prevented me from trying them out. I haven't played them up till today, but only because my brother loves playing them and I leave civs he likes to him.) Only with the Chislev I can't find something that I REALLY like, but surely there are people that like them a lot.

AI is the one big problem. I (like most other people probably) mostly play single player and the AI "opponents" are basically broken. The AI in base FfH is bad enough but in Orbis it's a total train wreck. You are basically playing alone, the AI is not capable to compete unless you give it ridiculous bonuses, which is not fun for me.

The great weaknesses are:

- Incapable of developing it's land efficiently (building the right improvements, connecting resources, doing this fast). I don't expect it to do as well as a good human player but right now the AI's economy is just pathetic.

- Incapable of waging war. Again I don't expect it to do as well as a good human player but right now I wonder whether the AI could actually win ANY war without ridiculous bonuses.

- Incapable of properly using civ specific features. This is part of a larger problem that to make the world come alive the AI actually needs to "roleplay" its part. I.e. the civs should behave in the way the lore suggests. The Sheim should actually try to destroy the world (and go for ashen veil). The Bannor should actually crusade. The Clan should actually try to conquer the world. The golem dwarfs should actually build golems etc.

IMO you should focus completely on the AI from now on. That's what is really missing to make Orbis a "finished product".

If not for the AI Orbis would be my favorite Mod but right now it's so bad that I am toying around with Wildmana instead.

I haven't played it... I'm looking into it, but the lack of screenshots, and easy access to what makes orbis what it is certainly is frustrating enough for me not to be interested.
A tiny bit about what is in it, no unifying mission statement, I have no idea what it is except that you changed hte Sidar and have a few new civs and population eats 3 food. :confused:

Main reason is OOS, which causes us to stop playing Orbis.

Besides this it is hard to get informations about Orbis. There are a number of Civs I dont understand (Sidar, Scions, Dao and others).

Apart from this Orbis has a lot of interesting features.

I keep finding myself coming back to Orbis. The soundtrack, the super spies, the medieval feel, the fun guilds, the stack of kitty cat imbued champions backed by fire breathing priors...

Problem is, my damn computer keeps getting MAFs on Orbis, about the time the save file size gets above 700k or so. Doesn't happen with other modmods.
Also, I've been spoilt by the arcane mastery set of promotions. So I eventually start missing them.
Oh, and when I play as the Ljos/Svarts, it's impossible to tell graphically whether a farm has a forest on top of it or not, because the orchard farm graphic totally obscures the forest/ancient forest graphic and I have to mouseover the plot.

Otherwise, hooray for Orbis!

Hi,

I am a big fan of Orbis. Like the graphiks, the civs (doviello:crazyeye: and elohim), the way cities work and look like (!), bigbig fan of the guilds (houses of erebus from rife would be a nice gimmik) etc.

But: a big funkiller is the lame AI. Ohters mentioned it before. Please work on the AI. Most of the other stuff is really really good, events, gameplay, etc., but after a while playing alone gets boring (and I am a "builder"). I always play immortal or deity, give a lot of bonuses to the AI (aggressive ai etc.) but after a while nothing happens.
And: way too much resources. I like every single of it, but there are too much around me. Maybe you should try to connect resources more to climate and terrain type...
And: Mechanos are way too strong.

All in all: I would love orbis more, if:

- AI would be better
- more strange events would occur like posted here: "But it just lacks that special something. That magical spark of Nemed, that unique touch of Mammon that makes me sweat and forces my arms reach out to grab it. Its just not there." That's not totally true, but some kind of "background", story is missing, that gives you this special feeling...
- less resources would spawn around my cities...

Thanks thanks thanks a lot for your great work and please continue with it. I wasted a lot of time in front of my computer because of you;)

Greez from Germany,

Tschuggi

Hi,

I am a big fan of Orbis. Like the graphiks, the civs (doviello:crazyeye: and elohim), the way cities work and look like (!), bigbig fan of the guilds (houses of erebus from rife would be a nice gimmik) etc.

Houses of Erebus are from Wild Mana, not RifE. Not really a mechanic I'm particularly fond of either. ;)

Hi Valkrionn,

I'm german so maybe I misinterpreted you, but in your prvious post here you said you don't like the mechanic of the houses of erebus (WM:blush:) very much... I love them like I love the idea of the guilds in orbis. Very intelligent and logic idea, noble houses and guilds have been fundamental in medieval society. I would like to see even more and deeper going concepts of this in your mods.

Awharic: Are you planing an update to orbis?

To all modders: What I like to see is an intelligent merge of ff, orbis, rife and wildmana.

Hi Valkrionn,

I'm german so maybe I misinterpreted you, but in your prvious post here you said you don't like the mechanic of the houses of erebus (WM:blush:) very much... I love them like I love the idea of the guilds in orbis. Very intelligent and logic idea, noble houses and guilds have been fundamental in medieval society. I would like to see even more and deeper going concepts of this in your mods.

Awharic: Are you planing an update to orbis?

To all modders: What I like to see is an intelligent merge of ff, orbis, rife and wildmana.

I just dislike the system. I'd rather have a true Revolt mechanic than be forced into supporting a guild to keep it from stealing my cities. :lol: But then, I have my own guild mechanic planned...

FF and RifE are already pretty much merged.... Seeing as RifE started as an FF modmod. We have all FF content, unless it was specifically removed.

Also have quite a bit of content from Orbis, though it's mostly code capabilities (huge exception: The Mechanos civ).

Valkrionn, what are you doing over here?? You should be frantically coding on RiFE 1.3!

(Just kidding of course - hope you have a great (and relaxing!) weekend!)

I like Orbis, though I haven't played Civ in a while because it's slow on my computer. Keep updating, please. When I update my processor I'll probably enjoy the mod even more.

Quite simply, you lost me with the move to 3 foods per population unit.

Hah. I am coding. I still take the time to browse the forums, and reply to posts mentioning RifE.

well, THAT is questionable ... when was the last time you submitted to svn ? :D (( it's July 31 :D - logs don't lie))

Kalina said:
Funny, most of recent activity in Orbis subforum is about RifE ;>
i wonder why ... :D

Top Bottom