Why is Hitler banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orasis

Prince
In Civ 4 we had Stalin and Mao, both of those guys were horrible, had camps and killed millions. In fact, individually Stalin and Mao are responsible for more deaths than Adolf Hitler.

So why is Hitler forever banned?

Hitler isn't banned it's just that the creators don't want to have to deal with complaints and lawsuits. Too much of a bother.

Hitler isn't banned it's just that the creators don't want to have to deal with complaints and lawsuits. Too much of a bother.

This and Bismarck is way cooler than Adolf.

Yo know, I'm pretty sure Germany wouldn't want to represented with Hitler....

lawsuits based on what?

On global histerical political correctness about Hitler and nazism? Also, both Jews and Germans would be furious for adding Hitler as a leader, and I am pretty sure few more countries famous for ridiculous game - morality problems would ban Civ5 (Australia?). At least one crazy guy would say that Civ5 is a nazi game, and Fox News would have awesome opportunity to say that games allow you on genocides. Good luck with all of that.

Not to mention that Hitler was tragic military leader, very immoral man, silly strategist and basically his empire lasted for few years before leading to total destruction of German nation and whole Europe.

I would like also to remember that in Civ5 there is NO STALIN and NO MAO, so your complaints based on "Hitler also should be here" are ridiculous. No Stalin, no Mao, no Hitler. Each of this men was really bad leader (don't even say me about "Stalin industrialized the country", nor about "Stalin won second world war by starting it and making his country to lose over 20 milion people, because of his own paranoid madness") and extremely immoral man.

Also because Hitler kinda sucked, and Bismark is just better.

But when you do think about it, look at some of the leaders for warmongerers in the game and tell me that Hitler is worse than them. Seriously, we have Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan in the game, and that's to say nothing of the ancient, classical, and medieval era leaders who did things which, though were more okay in their time, we would find revolting.

On global histerical political correctness about Hitler and nazism? Also, both Jews and Germans would be furious for adding Hitler as a leader, and I am pretty sure few more countries famous for ridiculous game - morality problems would ban Civ5 (Australia?). At least one crazy guy would say that Civ5 is a nazi game, and Fox News would have awesome opportunity to say that games allow you on genocides. Good luck with all of that.

Not to mention that Hitler was tragic military leader, very immoral man, silly strategist and basically his empire lasted for few years before leading to total destruction of German nation and whole Europe.

I would like also to remember that in Civ5 there is NO STALIN and NO MAO, so your complaints based on "Hitler also should be here" are ridiculous. No Stalin, no Mao, no Hitler. Each of this men was really bad leader (don't even say me about "Stalin industrialized the country", nor about "Stalin won second world war by starting it and making his country to lose over 20 milion people, because of his own paranoid madness") and extremely immoral man.

They're still called lawsuits, not moralsuits.
Can't really sue Firaxis over a lack of taste.

How would the introduction text look like? "Hail mighty Hitler, great leader of Germany. Liberator of the German Empire from the Jews."? Huge storm right there with good reason. I don't miss him and if YOU do there's a mod.

How would the introduction text look like? "Hail mighty Hitler, great leader of Germany. Liberator of the German Empire from the Jews."? Huge storm right there with good reason. I don't miss him and if YOU do there's a mod.

Does the mod come with an introduction text? And you're right, that introduction text is probably the biggest problem when it comes to adding any of these leaders, Mao Stalin or Hitler, moral and ethic reasons aside. You couldn't possibly write two paragraphs about these men without making the player just stop the game right after loading.

Introducing Hitler would simply cause too much bad waves, unlike the other leaders, a "common-player" with little history knowledge wouldn't necessairly know much about Stalin or Mao, especially wouldn't know anything about the others (Khan, Attila, etc.), but everybody knows "who hitler" is...

It's just a way too sensitive topic, and is pretty much banned in Germany anyway.

On global histerical political correctness about Hitler and nazism? Also, both Jews and Germans would be furious for adding Hitler as a leader, and I am pretty sure few more countries famous for ridiculous game - morality problems would ban Civ5 (Australia?)..

Would you care to share on what basis you consider Australia has "ridiculous game morality problems"?

I find that comment pretty offensive.

Thanks, it doesn't actually say anything about what he did, unlike other leader introductions.

Would you care to share on what basis you consider Australia has "ridiculous game morality problems"?

I find that comment pretty offensive.

Australia is pretty ban-happy when it comes to questionable entertainment content. Also, "I'm offended" is a very useless thing to say.

Australia is pretty ban-happy when it comes to questionable entertainment content. Also, "I'm offended" is a very useless thing to say.

Care to expand on that? Your knowledge of Australia being ban happy would educate me.

I also think you may care to be more precise with your comments. I never said I was offended- I said I found the comment "pretty offensive."

Maybe because Hitler was a poor leader. He had a short brutal reign that pushed his country to ruin and global embarrassment. He had some good qualities but they were overshadowed by the fact that he was totally demented.

In game his 3rd Reich would equal a warmonger who conquered a few cities only to get denounced by everyone and got wiped by the other civs in 4 turns.

He just didn't do anything worthy at all, period.

...Having said that I wouldn't mind seeing a "villans" type expansion where there were alternate "evil" leaders to fight against.

Yo know, I'm pretty sure Germany wouldn't want to represented with Hitler....

Yeah thats true i come from Germany.
Having Hitler as our Leader would be kinda disrespectfull. He had done so many bad things and nearly ruined and killed Germany.

I mean okay if you look at Napoleon and other Leader he wasnt any better but it was few decades ago comapred to Hitler.

Iam totally fine with Bismark as he represents our first Bundeskanzler.

The only thing i miss in Civ 5 is Prussia it self with Frederick. ^^

Care to expand on that? Your knowledge of Australia being ban happy would educate me.

I also think you may care to be more precise with your comments. I never said I was offended- I said I found the comment "pretty offensive."

This will turn sour, but by saying the comment is pretty offensive, does suggest you being offended.

However, Australia is very sensitive to any games, they banned Saints Row IV because it was too graphic. And they have a history of banning "graphic" and other "sensitive" games no doubt. THey also have one of the higher priced games in the world. This isn't offensive, or meant to be offensive, but Australia is a very sensitive country when it comes to the gaming industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom