Why is Hitler banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention that Hitler was tragic military leader, very immoral man, silly strategist and basically his empire lasted for few years before leading to total destruction of German nation and whole Europe.

I would like also to remember that in Civ5 there is NO STALIN and NO MAO, so your complaints based on "Hitler also should be here" are ridiculous. No Stalin, no Mao, no Hitler. Each of this men was really bad leader (don't even say me about "Stalin industrialized the country", nor about "Stalin won second world war by starting it and making his country to lose over 20 milion people, because of his own paranoid madness") and extremely immoral man.

Hitler was a very good leader, he really knew how to "seduce'' people so to say. As for Stalin and Mao it is a question to debate. Also let's look at other leaders, all those kings, queens and emperors. While I cannot say they were bad leaders, you really think they were moral?? The likes of Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, Napoleon (an emperor who fought for democracy!!! wtf??), Washington (he was also a bad general by the way), Alexander, Catherine etc.. They also did bad things both to their people and others. What I want to say in the end that if you want to rule you must let morality go (the reason why I would never want to rule over anything, ever!)

Looking at Hitler from some nationalistic side, he always promoted his people, their culture, history, glory and accomplishments. So.. looking at it objectively what is worse? Killing millions of people of other nationalities or killing millions of people of your own? (Don't get me wrong they are both bad, and yeah I am not protecting Hitler, just looking at things from different sides).

And yeah, have to say it. If it weren't for Stalin's madness and especially the great sacrifice the Soviet people gave, I don't think UK and USA would have won the war on their own.

In game his 3rd Reich would equal a warmonger who conquered a few cities only to get denounced by everyone and got wiped by the other civs in 4 turns.

And wiping out both Austrian and French civ. :lol: . Just joking.;)

i think the Allies would have still won the war if Russia "never existed" (for the purposes of this scenario only) it just would have taken like an extra decade, and it probably wouldn't have been a total surrender on Germany's part at the end of it.

Looking at Hitler from some nationalistic side, he always promoted his people, their culture, history, glory and accomplishments. So.. looking at it objectively what is worse? Killing millions of people of other nationalities or killing millions of people of your own? (Don't get me wrong they are both bad, and yeah I am not protecting Hitler, just looking at things from different sides).

From which side are you looking? From the side that says killing jews, russians, etc. is not so bad, provided you promote your own people?

From which side are you looking? From the side that says killing jews, russians, etc. is not so bad, provided you promote your own people?
He killed his own people. He just didnt recognize them as his people because of the whole racism thing.

I wonder how much it will take until Mr. Godwin can say "Told you" :rolleyes:

I think that Fireaxis wants to use the greatest and most interesting leaders for a civ.
So German history has a lot more to offer. Frederick the Great and Bismarck are both much better choises when looking at the big picture and what they were able to achieve.

If you didn't agree with the Nazis point of view there was no "promoting his people." Men were soldiers, women were breeding machines. Their culture was largely based on myths like being ancestors of Atlantis. They financed the Third Reich by making huge amount of debts and conquering other countries. A good leader, even from a nationalistic point of view, doesn't lead his people into war and despair. You are absolutely right that a lot of playable civilizations were no better, but the two most important things about Hitler and the Nazis are:

- They killed millions of people industrially. Objectively you could argue "Death is death. No matter if caused by labor, gas chambers or bullets", but that's not how people work. The first time I heard about the gas chambers I was shocked. Absolutely shocked.

- This happened about 80 years ago, which is nothing compared to the other leaders. People who suffered (or caused the suffering) and saw those things are still alive or passed away very recently.

It's just a way too sensitive topic, and is pretty much banned in Germany anyway.
This pretty much sums it up.

Hitler would make this game inaccessible in most european countries: in some cases because of their laws (Germany and Poland for sure), in most cases because extreme outrage. I myself am extremely uncomfortable with Hitler and Stalin because these two are figures who had direct impact on our lives. Hitler and Stalin together killed 2/3 of my family and cost my father his right arm. I hope that I don't need to expand this argumentation any further.

I was able to stomach Stalin in earlier iterations of the game but I'm not sure whether I would buy Civ6 if any of these leaders were playable.

Care to expand on that? Your knowledge of Australia being ban happy would educate me.

In Australia, a number of video games are banned for various reasons such as violence or sex or profanity. Games, that are sold freely in most of the world. Such as
Soldier of Fortune
Silent Hill
Left 4 Dead 2
Leisure Suite Larry
Manhunt 1+2
Postal
Reservoir Dogs
Risen
Dark Sector
the 50 cent games (but nothing of value was lost)

Hitler would make this game inaccessible in most european countries: in some cases because of their laws (Germany and Poland for sure), in most cases because extreme outrage. I myself am extremely uncomfortable with Hitler and Stalin because these two are figures who had direct impact on our lives. Hitler and Stalin together killed 2/3 of my family and cost my father his right arm. I hope that I don't need to expand this argumentation any further.

I was able to stomach Stalin in earlier iterations of the game but I'm not sure whether I would buy Civ6 if any of these leaders were playable.
The relatively short time period since Hitler's demise still leaves fresh woulds for many people play these games.

Moderator Action: This thread is closed, please do not open another.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom