Why play Civ 1?

In 1996 I have in school a lot of trouble when it turned out that instead of learning - I've mainly played in CIV. from my point of view it was a great time - totally different, what my parents said ;)

I love this game.

I heard some schools actually used Civilization as an educational tool, which is a bit dubious, but at least it's better than Oregon Trail and probably Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.

I heard some schools actually used Civilization as an educational tool, which is a bit dubious, but at least it's better than Oregon Trail and probably Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.

Civ 4 is and excellent tool for Kansas City and Teheran schools. "you have spread religion! You gain money!". :rolleyes:

Civ I may not have all the bells and whistles of the newer games... but it pulls me back in once in a while in a way that few other games have.

There is nothing quite so satisfying as reducing a belligerent enemy civilization to a single city on a remote island city surrounded by tundras... after literally centuries of constant warfare... sending a detachment of Armor (battleships and bomber-laden carriers standing by just for the heck of it) and bullying them to pay tribute. :king:

Seriously. It's intoxicating.

I was born in 1990. 1 Year later, game comes out. I live in Colombia. For some reasons, i think that game relase in my country was delayed at least 1 year, even more. My cousin, (he was 14 yr old.) starts playing CIVDOS when i was 4. Obviously i couldnt play CIV, whit 4 Years, but when i grow up a lil bit, i start playing it. I remember that CIV was the first videogame that i ever played. Now, i'm 21, and still playing DOS version and i ♥ it.

I started play CIV when i was 12.. many years ago. :-D
I still play CIV1, because... mmm...
I don't know! :-D
But I enjoy much...

One of my excuses is to give my mind a little exercise. At my age, you need to do what you can to keep Alzheimer's at bay.:(

What happened to that 70+ year old guy who used to post? He had Spock as his avatar.

Why, because it's the most fun version up to now!

I started playing Civ 1 in 1991 and never stopped till then. I played all other versions, including both "Civ: Call to power" from Activision. And I still return to DOS graphics. Civ 1 is compact, it's coherent. And it's tough. It's a real competiton in the beginning, and you have to strugle to get the upper hand. If you achieve that, early enough, it develops into a nice "let's conquer the world today" game. Which is pure fun (if you're into global domination, that is :king:)

Of course it has it's flaws. But a silly AI was acceptable in 1991 in Civ 1. It isn't 2010 in Civ 5 ...

I have played all versions from 1 to 5 but civ 1 is the best game ever.

http://www. ... Moderator Action: Link removed
I use a second HDD with XP on it
you can also use DOSBOX under win7

Moderator Action:
Please read the forum rules
piracy
We have zero tolerance for piracy. ... We also consider "abandonware" to be piracy, as it has no official legal recognition. ... do not link to abandonware sites.

CFC Rules
CFC Full Rules

I simply love the good old game. And why should people not play ancient but great games? My children make fun of the graphics of civ1 (and of me), but you don't need the latest graphic and a new pc every other year just to play great strategy games.

Why Civ I? My son has asked me that often. He plays Civ V and snickers at the quaint graphics.

Since discovering TWAYF:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=240189
the objective of every game played under those rules has been to beat the score of my previous game. By now, the bar has been set pretty high.
I play Civ I because I have a target score in mind and I haven't reached it yet.
Still pushing forward ...

POLITICAL ASSUMPTIONS
Civ1 is the most left-leaning of all games. Later versions used all sorts of solutions that has pushed this game more into the right. Introduction of fundamentalism and nullification of civilopedia entry about anarchy as a valid political alternative for governments has pushed Civ2 to the right on philosophical spectrum. Global warming and pollution are getting less and less important in later games, making a hidden statement that industrial civilization can be in balance with global ecosystem. Social unrests are also getting less painful. I understand that designers were aiming at higher playability but it's interesting that making a fun and less annoying game forced development team to introduce (or reduce) concepts that makes this title more right-leaning.

I love Civ1 because it was one and only game that acknowledged anarchism as a philosophy, not state of chaos. Even if it's impossible to play such Civ and I believe that it's rightly so. Utopian philosophies should be saved for post-2000AD period which isn't covered by Civ.

POLLUTION & ECOSYSTEM
I love it also because of the pollution but I have one problem with it. Well... Civ1 is too optimistic when it comes to global pollution. Mass transit and recycling as cures for global consequences of massive industrialization? With AI civs managing their pollutions very well it's almost impossible to induce global warming without nuclear war or deliberate actions. Btw, sometimes it can be beneficial to destroy the eco system just remember that rivers and hills are immune to global warming. Besides, deserts that turn into swamp can be turned to grasslands.

Trust me, Earth map flooded with swamps is so cool to play on!

What I don't like in all Civ games is that climate lacks dynamics. Except for effects of pollutions or fallout areas, the climate is stable and it doesn't correspond to the data that we posses today. Sahara was a lush grasslands somewhere around 3000 BC but Civ games don't reflect that. There are far fewer forests on Earth maps then there were in reality, prior to human deforestation.

BUGS!
You heard me! Instead of bugs that crashed the game, Civ has plenty of really cool, playable bugs. I haven't noticed those on random maps but on EARTH map once in few games you can encounter really cool things. Some examples:
* Once in a time I get a city that I cannot conquer through the use of force. I can enter and even fortify a unit inside but somehow I cannot attack its defenses.
* Ultra-productive terrains over Canada. New type of tiles appear, making all resources off-scale even when working one tile.
* East of Australia I sometimes get a polluted sea square. You can clean it with settler on a ship but it's so unique and cool that I rarely do that.
* Once I got only some advances from the higher-end of technological tree, giving me access to end-game period units in gunpowder era. Look, I was really loosing the game at that point but getting almost invincible units turned this game intro really interesting one.

In Civnet/Winciv, rivers aren't animated (no support for colour-cycling palettes). Plus, Civ in DOSBox is nostalgic.

Out of all the Civ series, Civ2 is maybe the best. Civ3 Conquests is too buggy and too dulled-down; Civ3 lacks a lot of what Civ2 had, and only the Civ2 is an improvement over the original Civ, but much the same.

Top Bottom