Why play Civ 1?

The question is, once you start playing Civ1, why would you ever stop?

I was 12, when I first played with CIV1, and I loved it so much, I was playing whole nights with it.
It even effected my life (SimCity also), because I liked the building part so much, later I became an architect :D
So, after 20 years, I am still playing, and it never gets boring.

I was wondering: Why are people still playing the original Civilization when the game is up to Civ 4 and 5?

I had only played Civ III and recently became interested in the game again when Civ 5 was being released. I got curious about the Civ legacy and purchased the original Civ on CDROM; then downloaded a copy of DOSBox to run on Mac OS X. So in my case, I am playing Civ 1 as a retro experience (and having a ball).

Why do you play Civ 1?

Nostalgia, My memory is slowly coming back, to those old DOS commands. :wallbash:

Mostly for nostalgic reasons. Everytime i start a new Civ1-game I try to copy the exalted and curious feeling i Had the first time I played it in the early 90s. The secret of never getting tired of an old game, is to always try to copy the feelings you had when you first got addicted to the game.

I had completly forgotten about the game until i found the disks recently. No floppy drive in my laptop so it took a while before I got one and figured out how to get it running on windows 7. Couldn't wait to get a game started. Its the first game i ever played and definatly one of my favourates.

Many here have posted that they play civ because it's fast. Well, on my amiga 500 it had 4 disks and it took 15 mins to load the intro (in the beginning ... earth was without shape ... and void...).

It was quick in the first turns but by modern time it got really slow.

Civ 2 was making exaggerated use of popup-windows, so it was even worse.

So ofc it's fast now that you play it on a modern machine, but my reason to play it is that it's better. It has smarter dialogue lines, just compare: "In spite of your arrogant attitude we will spare you from the wrath of our mighty armies" to "Your head look good on a pole (declares war)". I prefer a game that made by smart people to smart people and that I can learn something from, that something made by a big company to stupid american teenagers just because they like stacks of doom.

Many here have posted that they play civ because it's fast. Well, on my amiga 500 it had 4 disks and it took 15 mins to load the intro (in the beginning ... earth was without shape ... and void...).

Oh those were the days! It was true happiness to come home from school in the late afternoon, sit down and relax and watch the intro waiting for the game to begin. It was somehow more exciting when one had to wait.. today you get upset when the loading time is more than 5 mins..

It was quick in the first turns but by modern time it got really slow.

Yeah, but with a RAM-mem with only 1 Meg, what do you expect? ;) Once again.. those were the days!

Civ 2 was making exaggerated use of popup-windows, so it was even worse.

Very annoying! I especially hate that reminder that one or more units have been lost in battle. Whats the point?

So ofc it's fast now that you play it on a modern machine, but my reason to play it is that it's better. It has smarter dialogue lines, just compare: "In spite of your arrogant attitude we will spare you from the wrath of our mighty armies" to "Your head look good on a pole (declares war)". I prefer a game that made by smart people to smart people and that I can learn something from, that something made by a big company to stupid american teenagers just because they like stacks of doom.

There was a simple dialogue in Civ 1 but I think that only that sentence: "In spite of your disrepectful attitude we will spare you..." gave the feeling that the other Civ respected you a lot.

And besides.. the male leaders of Civ 1 looked more manly than in for ex Civ 3. Compare for example Julius Caesar or Alexander the great in the two versions.. In Civ 1 they looked like real men, in Civ 3, Caesar and Alexander look like jerky nerds.

Civ I is my ultimate favorite DOS game. I discovered it accidentally one day when in HS and could never stop playing it. I'm playing it today!

My only wish was that there were easier options for map editing. I've always hunted for something and it seems most of what is available is buggy, quirky, or comes with no direction on use. Except for the TerraForm tool, which since you need a key, I only use to see if I want to play on that random world or not... Back when i first signed on here, I requested a key and never got one so dont even know if it's possible to get one still.

I was wondering: Why are people still playing the original Civilization when the game is up to Civ 4 and 5?

I had only played Civ III and recently became interested in the game again when Civ 5 was being released. I got curious about the Civ legacy and purchased the original Civ on CDROM; then downloaded a copy of DOSBox to run on Mac OS X. So in my case, I am playing Civ 1 as a retro experience (and having a ball).

Why do you play Civ 1?

Emperor Ronito says - Nothing beats an original!

After many happy years of playing Civ IV, I thought it would be fun to go back to grassroots and try Civ I (mainly because I missed the delight of building my palace...) which I first played back in 1990 when it was released. I cranked it up on DOSBox at around 6pm one evening after work, and before I knew it, it was 1am. That's the thing with original Civ: it's just plain addictive. And frustrating, too! The AI is so utterly backstabbing and treacherous, that when you try to play as a peacemonger it is virtually impossible. Rogue AI phalanx units that come and squat outside your city, forcing you to declare war, but then the moment you take a city they beg for peace... then sneak attack you 3 turns later! It's all part of the fun.

It's the quirks and idiosyncracies as much as anything else which keep me interested in Civ I. I still think Civ IV is the best so far (not tried V yet) and have a lot of affection for CTP (which I know a lot of people hate, but I think it's cool). But Civ I doesn't age (well, the graphics do, but I'm fond of them in a nostalgic way). It's still so very playable!

Plus the hilarious but frustrating "Trireme beats Ironclad" shenanigans...

Nostalgic(a) .... ahhh I am practiacally a grandpa already xD I am allowed to have my quirks like play Civ 1 dammmmm.t !! xD ;) Really I've started with it (and still like to play it from time to time). Otherwise it is a great game and for those that have already experienced later editions it might be an interesting option to see what previous games had to offer ;)

I ve played civ2, 3 and 4....5 not...but civ1...I saw video on youtube, but it s no for me....for me is the best civ3

For me.. I love Civ (and still play) because Civ is what got me interested in programming, software design, and simulations which are all elements of my career that I value immensely.

I had a rather unusual PC at the time - I grew up in a Radioshack family, and so I had the Tandy 1000 and many successors. Civ was a great game because MPS obviously spent a lot of time on making it look great for Tandy graphics. I had advanced and great sounding audio while others on the various BBS's I frequented had only beeps and meeps.

I never lost track of my Civ floppies, or the manual. When I was 14 or so I saw a copy of Civ for sale at a bargain basement store for $5, and it had a reprint compact manual, so I grabbed that to replace my aging original.

After not playing it for almost 10 years, I was thrilled to find out that I can still get the "civ challenges" right on the first try almost everytime, without going to the manual.

A great thrill for me was teaching my 7 year old how to issue the commands (now in DOSBox) to start the game and what those commands meant.

I want to throw in my 2 cents as well.

I'll mirror the first reply is that the game is just easy. I have the same problem with later iterations of SimCity where I don't care about plumbing and schools and whatever else, I just want to play the game that you invented in 1989 with better graphics.

Same story with Civ - the later games just throw way too much at me and I don't have enough time or patience to learn a whole new ecosystem.

hello. can u play this game if u r blind.
It requires you to see the monitor.
I doubt that there is a way to control all your units and get the information without seeing it.
Then again, impossible is nothing. I played it with a friend all the time and had loads of fun.

Of the first 4 Civ's (all of which I enjoyed) I'd found that I'd enjoyed 1 the most, followed by 2, then 4, then 3. The 1st is basic but not simple, conquering is more manageable, AI is really sneaky, and I loved the old school music, especially the Russians. Some people need to be visually stimulated to enjoy themselves, others, like us Civ 1 fans, enjoy addicitive gameplay.

Top Bottom