Why spread your religion to another civilization?

Disgustipated, I dont think there is a way to see what bonus you get. But if you can suddenly build a pagoda in a newly converted city, be happy!

How do I see what beliefs I get when they spread religion to my city? I just finished my first game and Austria spread Christianity to most of my cities. But the city screen doesn't show what bonuses. I get.

It's in the religion overview. I'm not sure if the default screen (your beliefs) will show the beliefs for a foreign religion which you've adopted (never had that happen), but if you click over to the "Beliefs" tab it lists every belief which has been adopted, by every religion.

As long as the cities are close enough together, you just need to fully convert the holy city or as close to fully as possible. Then it will eventually spread to all the other cities. The holy city will slowly reacquire its own religion, but by that time, you should be able to send in another GP to reclaim it.

If rivals don't benefit from your follower belief they will just benefit from somebody elses. So you get the founder bonuses and some diplo plus.

As long as the cities are close enough together, you just need to fully convert the holy city or as close to fully as possible. Then it will eventually spread to all the other cities. The holy city will slowly reacquire its own religion, but by that time, you should be able to send in another GP to reclaim it.

If you conquer the city, you can use an inquisitor to wipe out the religion for good. I've only ever done this when the holy city was the last city of that religion, so I don't know if it would work if there were another follower city, but the 'This is the holy city of..' text was gone, and the religion had disappeared from the religion overview!

Tithing is sick, sick money and by itself justifies spreading the word far and wide. 60-70 GPT alone from that is fairly standard for me.

If you play with the founder bonuses, like science gain, buying missionaries is pretty much all you have to get besides GP. It works best if you can missionize civs without a religion of their own while "infecting" their neighbours. You don't have to dominate them, as long as a sufficient number of your followers exist.

I've started keeping inquisitors near my major cities in case they get flipped to someone elses religion.

Because once that city flips all inquisitors created there will be loyal to the 'new religion'.

Do beliefs that give you a bonus based on "followers in other civilizations" count the followers you have in city states? For example, the one that gives you +1 culture for every 5. It seemed like it did in my last game, but I'm not sure.

Do beliefs that give you a bonus based on "followers in other civilizations" count the followers you have in city states? For example, the one that gives you +1 culture for every 5. It seemed like it did in my last game, but I'm not sure.

Indeed they do, and that is why I spread mine far and wide.

Even if they didn't, converting city states to your religion is a great way to spread it into AI civs without pissing anyone off (and hold onto your alliances longer). But yeah, they do. :)

Top Bottom