Wildmana on quick speed?

pjjomalley

Chieftain
Hi all,

I'd love to give Wildmana a try, but I have one question first: does playing a game on quick game speed mess anything up? Blame my consumerist, me-me-me now-now-now instant-gratification-yes-please mentality, but I just can't take the sometimes glacial pace of FFH even on normal speed. I'm super excited about Wildmana, though...

(I looked around the forums for a bit but couldn't find anything explicitly about this, though maybe my search-fu needs improvement.)

Thanks!
Peter

I play almost exclusively on quick speed and sometimes it still feels slow, but then again I don't go beyond standard/small/tiny size (depending on map script and landmass) and 10 civs.
I guess with huge maps and a lot more civ the tech-pace is faster and thus normal game speed or even slower is more appropriate.

It probably also depends on wether you love the early game or if you rather prefer to speed through the tech-tree in order to try out all the goodies of a civ.

Wild Mana works fine on any gamespeed, Sephi took care into making as many things as possible scale with gamespeed. although I think FFH is already slow enough on normal, so I'd stay clear of Marathon :lol:

The real differences between quick and other gamespeeds is that at the moment, cities can't build more than 1 thing at a time. This means that civs like say, the dwarves, or the kuriotaes, who might be able to build a champion a turn in their cities while other civs take 2-3 turns loose their advantage because now everyone can build a champion a turn. It also makes hero's less useful, as xp doesn't really scale with gamespeed. This in turn tends to make things like melee units more predominant and priests/mages less useful (as they rely more on xp).

Basically what I'm saying is that playing at quick and playing at normal can turn out to be a very different play experience. However, it is still playable (and fun) at any gamespeed (well... maybe not marathon, but still...).

-Colin

thanks to the Multiple Production Modcomp by Denev which is included in Wildmana you can build several items a turn. All you have to do is to put them into the build queque.

ahh, well then you can ignore that part of what I said. As I always play on normal, I hadn't noticed it taking place. For it to work, do you have to have multiple items, or does it also work for say, alt-building warriors?

-Colin

Thanks everyone for the replies. The game played fine on quick speed. I didn't notice a weakness in mages/priests (I went with the elves for a religious victory), but then again I am not super experienced.

On the down side, the map (fractal) and assortment of AI leaders was disappointing--I had the best starting area by a decent margin (most room to expand, and the map was nearly all water, it seemed), and every leader (including myself) was good except for Hafgar the Purger (evil) and Captain (something--neutral) from the Hippus. I should have restarted the game but I didn't realize this was how it came out until I had met everyone and explored a bit, a good few hours in. Next time, eh?

Top Bottom