Will Alpha Centauri work with Windows Vista?

Grolav

Chieftain
(like the title said...) Will Alpha Centauri work with Windows Vista?

Should I keep ye old Windows 98...?

Seeing that Vista isn't out yet, your guess is as good as mine.

Paging Bill Gates...

Will Alpha Centauri work with Windows Vista?

I needed a patch for it to run on XP, so it's likely we'll have to rely on Firaxis making a Vista patch as well.

I can't get Alpha Centauri to work on Vista RC1 with any currently available patches or the compatability application. I hope they make a patch soon :(

Hurrah! :D I worked on it since about when I last posted and now it works! Not easy though...

You have to use the XP patch as before, do all the previously posted things with alphacentauri.ini until it works using the XP SP2 compatability mode with all the disabling features of compatability mode selected (although as this isn't the last step I did, it might not be necessary) and I also selected the run as an administrator option but I don't think that was necessary. Biggest annoyance is that vista doesn't let me save from notepad into the SMAC directory... Had to save to my documents, delete the one from SMAC and copy&paste the alphacenturi.ini file.

I don't think I'll risk installing alien crossfire yet...

(like the title said...) Will Alpha Centauri work with Windows Vista?

Should I keep ye old Windows 98...?

If you have a working computer with Win 98 AND seriously want to play SMAC and/or other equally "OLD" games - don't upgrade your Windows. If you want to play newer games get another computer. Seriously, my old computer broke down finally, and now I need to get a new "old" one seeing as with or without patches running too old games on my new computer only causes problems. The games may run, but the problems creep up from behind :gripe:

I play three "newer" games, or actually two and have acquired a third, but none of them have the good old atmosphere I'm used to. I miss everything from Sierra's classics to SMAC, not to speak of Fall Out, Monkey Island and Loom. Sigh.

Yes, that's basically what I do, SideshowBob. I have a 486 with DOS and Windows 3.1, a Pentium with Windows 95, a Pentium II with Windows 98, and a Pentium IV with Windows XP.

I sorely need to upgrade my 5-year-old Pentium IV, but I'm waiting for Windows Vista to launch so I can have a different operating system on each computer.

You could create a seperate partition with Windows 98 on it, or install an additional hard drive solely for older operating systems.

You could create a seperate partition with Windows 98 on it, or install an additional hard drive solely for older operating systems.
I have a separate HD (taken from my old Pentium I computer) with Windows 98 on it. This lets play old games like SMAC/SMAX and Caesar III.

I just fired up both Alpha Centauri and Alien crossfire in Vista 64-bit. I kept the game folders when I installed Vista, and they both worked fine without installing or changing any settings.

That's good... Maybe they've made Vista a bit more backwards-compatible since they made RC1. I look forward to the day when I can afford the full version of vista. For those considering buying it, I think Vista Ultimate is pretty cheap on savapoint (http://www.savapoint.com/savapoint/productinfo.php?checkcookies=yes&prodid=5247&cid=10&ref=savema070215) at £119.99. It's a good bit over double that at PC World.

Top Bottom