[RD] Will Joe Biden Undo Errors of Past Governments?

BvBPL

Pour Decision Maker
President-elect Biden has committed to undoing the errors of past administrations early in his presidency. Let's take a look at some of those past mistakes and see what Biden might do to correct them. This is a forward-looking examination at how a Biden administration may review the sins of the past in the U.S., as he says he's inclined to do.

The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 was the catalyst for the contemporary militarization of U.S. law enforcement. It provided more funds to police to purchase military equipment, paid out $8.7 billion dollars into prison (resulting in a vast expansion of private prisons), expanded the federal death penalty, barred felons from certain forms of employment, and created three-strikes provisions for federal criminals.

Amid urban unrest and outrageous violence against minorities, in 2020 the Democrats railed against the very philosophy of the '94 bill. It's as if the sentiment of the author of the bill was wholly unwelcome in the contemporary party. As a presidential candidate, Mr. Biden declined to call for defunding the police amid the unrest. How will Joe Biden seek to repair our criminal justice system, crippled as it by twenty-six years under the '94 act?

The Defense of Marriage Act of 1996 established a blanket ban on federal recognition of same-sex marriages. That section has subsequently been repealed by U.S. courts, but questions about how the U.S. government will treat same-sex marriages remain. The Obergefell decision that cemented same-sex marriage nationwide remains under attack. At present, Mr. Biden has given little more than lip service to respect for same-sex marriage, seemingly under the assumption that the right of same-sex couples to marry will be protected. Such compliance bodes ill for the same-sex couples in America who have previously seen senators vote to disallow them the rights heterosexual couples enjoy.

The welfare reform efforts of 1996 turned America's safety net on its head. The bill required many public aid recipients to work to receive benefits. The result was both a removal of the safety net and downward pressure on wages, and the premise of the bill has been rejected by contemporary Democrats. Will Pres. Joe Biden repair the harm that U.S. senators did to the welfare safety net, a system now even more important in the time of the coronavirus?

The PATRIOT Act of 2001 vastly expanded the surveillance powers of the U.S. government. This expansion placed more domestic organizations under governmental surveillance, often unnecessarily. Subsequent leaks from the various alphabet agencies responsible for surveillance revealed the contempt of the staffers for the American public. The Bush and Obama presidencies continually expanded the broad surveillance systems even as the evidence raised questions of the programs' efficacy. Will Pres. Biden reject the surveillance-state philosophy of the author of the PATRIOT Act?

It's hard to say one way or the other until we know which way the Senate goes. Right now there is speculation that Biden won't even get a cabinet confirmed if McConnell is in charge and I don't think it is idle speculation either.

no. but even if he had the opportunity to do great things, he wouldn't, just in case that was unclear.

Biden is a puppet, but his string pullers may have ideas. Whether they can be executed without a competent leader remains to be seen. With Congress split and a narrow lead in the House, he cannot expect much from Capital Hill. Executive orders can do some things, but Biden is following a very competent team. Anything that can be put out of reach on an EO, has been.

Expect a recycle of the 2009 mantra of racism, sexism, white privilege and obstructionism to explain the lack of anything productive.

J

Who are his strong pullers?

Personally, this would depend on who takes the majority of the senate, and that’s even looking if a blue wave happens in 2022 in the midterm. Cause the upper house can either help him in those goals or hamstring him in the process.

I expect Biden to follow the more or less same path as all the immoral presidents before him, whether democrat or republican. Trump was of course an anomaly that can be ignored here.

Of course I could be pleasantly surprised. Maybe U.S.will apologize for all its crimes? Maybe they will come down hard on Saudi Arabia and all of the rest of their questionable allies? I mean, I fully expect Biden to actually deal with Iran properly for instance, i.e. the path that the other western allies are now walking. I just don't expect him to deviate from any of the morally questionable decisions past presidents have taken America on - whether it was Bush or Obama.

Yeah, to Americans Biden sounds like a left-leaning guy who's all sorts of awesome. But to everybody else he's a right of centre guy who's ruled by the largest industrial military complex in the world. Not to mention all those corporations that run your country as well. Sure, he can smile and is charismatic and he says a lot of the right things. But you know children will continue dying by the hands of American allies wielding American weapons

Have fun America! And good luck

Biden is a puppet, but his string pullers may have ideas. Whether they can be executed without a competent leader remains to be seen. With Congress split and a narrow lead in the House, he cannot expect much from Capital Hill. Executive orders can do some things, but Biden is following a very competent team. Anything that can be put out of reach on an EO, has been.

Expect a recycle of the 2009 mantra of racism, sexism, white privilege and obstructionism to explain the lack of anything productive.

J

Biden is not a Republican.

I want all the ones the OP listed repealed except the Patriot Act. We need effective counter-terrorism measures.

The Patriot Act should go as well. It is not an effective anti-terrorism law.

I want all the ones the OP listed repealed except the Patriot Act. We need effective counter-terrorism measures.

And how effective have they been so far at preventing terrorism? How many doors have been kicked down, how many people unjustly surveiled, how many traumas induced, how many dogs have caught a bullet? How many black people have?

It's reading posts like these that make me thing half of the country actively wants to get bent over and get ****** in the ass.

I think Biden would be wise to cut whatever deals he can get on pretty much any issue. The normal administration of the country has been so deeply afflicted and for so long, the priority should just be stabilization over partisan objectives. It's not that I don't want him to push the progressive agenda, it's that I want someone to put money into bridges, schools, healthcare and re-instate competent bureaucrats across the board. If he does not have the Senate, we can count out any progressive wins of any kind and should settle in for incremental improvements on various problems at the margin, at best. He should do what he can to give Republican Senators what they want in pork to justify them passing pork for the rest of the country too, even if at a lower rate. That's the best that can be achieved given the circumstances, I fear.

I will say that Biden is a good negotiator and knows many of the members of the Senate on a personal level. So if anyone could cut a deal with them, it's probably him.

Last edited:
It's hard to say one way or the other until we know which way the Senate goes. Right now there is speculation that Biden won't even get a cabinet confirmed if McConnell is in charge and I don't think it is idle speculation either.

At any rate it can be used as an excuse to ban AOC from being part of the cabinet.

I don't think many people would support a cabinet position for her as she's too inexperienced.

The Republicans have held their senate seats in both North Carolina and Alaska. Control of the Senate will be decided now in two concurrent run-offs in Georgia. Biden needs to campaign hard if he wants to get anything done in the next 2 years.

I read that the 2022 mid-term election map is not favorable to the GOP but presidents typically lose congressional seats in mid-terms. I am hopeful that the Democratic base has turned the corner on lack of turnout but not certain.

Top Bottom