• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

will steam come after me if I upload a civ whose music is from a tv show?

KennyTG

Chieftain
I'm wondering if it violates the steam subscriber contract to upload a civilization to the steam workshop that contains a third party's a song as it's dawn of man audio? Should I offer a disclsimer?

I'm pretty sure that as long as you credit them, it's fine; though it'll probably depend on the show itself as well (as to how willing they are to come after you). For the most part, I'd think it harmless, though. I've not read up on this, so feel free to correct me, anyone!

Edit: if it violates the Steam Subscriber contract, probably not.

Well I'm not sure if it violates the subscriber contract to use a third party's song that's why I'm asking. I doubt the BBC would ever know it was in there.

It does, technically:

Your files may only contain art, sound effects, and other assets contained in the game or that are original works created by you.

You may not upload any files that contain code or assets created by third-parties

However, it is seldom adhered to.

The general consensus is to offer full credit and, where possible, opt for music from sources that seem more amenable to their use (Paradox games, for instance). I would personally avoid the use of material published or created by large companies such as the BBC, but More Civs got away with using material from Ubisoft, so it is clear that it is very unlikely that your use will ever become an issue.

Just to be safe I removed the song from the public build and only left it on my own version. Thanks guys.

If it were the case that Steam went after third-party music, then I'd be in some pretty deep trouble myself.

Like JFD said, it is technically against the TOS. But realistically, you aren't likely to have your mod removed for music or visual assets from a TV show or movie.

The one mod I've seen removed for copyright violations actually contained 3D models ripped directly from another video game, so it's pretty safe to say that going that far is a bad idea, at least.

Edit: Having said this, I have been quite wary about including snippets of popular rock music for my Great Musicians of Rock mod. I planned keep them all shorter than 10 seconds and with rock-bottom audio quality just to be safe (i.e. shorter and of less quality than you can find on the song's Wikipedia page), but still, record companies and their copyrights aren't something I feel like contending with.

Top Bottom