Will we finally get a true 3d globe?

Grump

Warlord
I know its impossible to make a truly equal tiled globe but there are countless acceptable workarounds. Are they planning on having a 3d globe at last?

I would love to have a true globe, but it doesn't seem to be a part of Civ VI. I assume that would be a pretty big feature to discuss day 1.

I believe it is possible to actually create a perfect sphere using spherical hexagons (6 spherical triangles) and something like 10 pentagons? I don't remember exactly it has been a while since that math class. :crazyeye:

from the looks of it I would say no, in the end the benefits don't out way the costs

I would love to have a true globe, but it doesn't seem to be a part of Civ VI. I assume that would be a pretty big feature to discuss day 1.

CivRev years back on consoles appeared to have a 3d globe other strategy games have had 3d globes for years. I don't understand why it would be that hard a feature for a professional team to put together.

from the looks of it I would say no, in the end the benefits don't out way the costs

What costs? The main issue against a globe is debalancing positions but you're already disadvantaged based upon where you start off on the standard torus map not to mention all the variation from the resources etc.

The cost are designing something that has to work for two different types of titles, getting players to be accustomed to these different types of tiles, for something most people will do once and then forget

One of my only disappointments with Civ V (+ expansions) was the fact that you couldn't zoom out far enough. I used to love the really zoomed out view for planning things etc on Civ IV.

A true globe would be really nice. Here's hoping.

One of my only disappointments with Civ V (+ expansions) was the fact that you couldn't zoom out far enough. I used to love the really zoomed out view for planning things etc on Civ IV.

It used to annoy me so, so much. I've gotten over it, but I agree... unfortunately I don't think it's likely to change. The screenshots we got were all super zoomed in, I think they're sticking with that aesthetic. It's not so much planning for me as immersion : zooming out in CIV and seeing the planet really helped in that regard.

You would need 12 pentagons. Thus 12 tiles and their surroundings look different from the other tiles.

But if you keep some area of the North and South poles and unpassable, then you can still get a near-perfect tiling, where yeah, in reality the tiles would be slightly different sizes, but not enough to be noticeable.

Which is why I loved playing on a 4k monitor despite the hard to read text (which I made as big as possible but that leads to clipping problems). If they make the UI scale in VI then going to a 4k monitor would be a possible answer for this. I had to go back to 1080p after braking the 4k monitor and even after several months I keep trying to zoom out farther, didn't do that in 4k.

The cost are designing something that has to work for two different types of titles, getting players to be accustomed to these different types of tiles, for something most people will do once and then forget

I'm not sure why you say it's something people would do once and then forget. I assume that if this was part of the game, it would be part of the default map, allowing for more realistic play around the poles. I have no idea how difficult it would be, (I wonder if camera angles, especially around the poles and the pentagonal tiles, would be a bigger issue than than the tile shapes themselves) but if this sort of map technology could be added without interfering with other systems, I think it would be a significant improvement.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the no clutter/no UI view of the map.

Always wanted to have it on Civ5 so I can just look at the terrain with my units lined up

No UI is view made for screens. We had the same in first Civ5 screenshots. Still, I hope the UI will be customizable, including hiding all UI elements.

You can have a thousand hexagons and 12 Pentagons which all could be ocean, impassable mountain or natural wonder.

But in the Screenshots it doesn't look like it is spherical. :(

Another question will they have terrain that can change? Can steppe become desert because of drought? Can we build canals? Changing climate have been a huge player in history!

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

Top Bottom