Win7 BSOD...

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
So I've been getting lockups, reboots and BSODs lately while, or shortly after playing games on my PC. I think I have it narrowed down to an nvidia driver, but rolling back the driver version didn't help, and underclocking my video card didn't help either (it worked on my old PC, which ironically I got the new PC to solve that problem, then I found out that underclocking worked on my old PC. Go figure...).

Anyone have any pointers? I'd upload the dump files only if Windows 7 didn't decide that I don't have permissions to access my own files! :mad:. (I can read them, but I can't put them in a zip file or anything else...)

Long story short, it's the nvlddmkm.sys driver that I see causing the BSOD sometimes.

System specs:

ASUS Z8P68 v-PRO Gen3
Intel i7-2600k CPU (not overclocked)
16 Gigs RAM (Ripjaws)
320 GB HD (OS drive)
1 TB HD (Game drive. This one always seems to be 'on', or take awhile to open a file...)
Nvidia GTX 580

BSOD Info
Spoiler :
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1e
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\021812-17503-01.dmp
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-38267-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I can not even open the sysdata.xml file to paste anything...
EDIT: Had to give the file itself specific permissions rather than the folder (of which it wouldn't allow me to change permissions to the files). :confused:

I've also attached the dump file and sysdata file.

Attachments

• dumpfile.rar
    23.6 KB · Views: 27
  • sysdata.rar
    11 KB · Views: 24
It could eather be bad RAM or the Video Card took a hard fall.

How to read the dump files for a description of the problem? Seems to be less informative than XP errors since it doesn't really give detail about what crashed.

How to read the dump files for a description of the problem? Seems to be less informative than XP errors since it doesn't really give detail about what crashed.

That's what I'm wondering. I just tried a possible fix from Youtube the other day (registry entry), but that didn't fix it.

Well, I think my gaming HD may have just crashed. Fortunately, I have it backed up to my external drive. The only thing I lost were downloaded maps and mods. I do know that since my PC was built, my gaming HD had made these odd noises and whenever I would open a folder, or move a file (as it was in this case), it would hang for a few seconds. This time, I was extracting a folder from a winrar file, and it just froze (the folder, not the PC).

I'm wondering if (that is, if it is a bad HD) that contributed to the reboots and lock ups, as that's where the games I was running reside. Although, I'm not sure how it relates to the video card driver, unless it needed to access that HD.

It's a Western Digital, and I've only had 1 WD 'fail' on me, and that was only because the manufacturer happened to send me two drives by accident (one was good, the other was DOA).

Well, I think my gaming HD may have just crashed. Fortunately, I have it backed up to my external drive. The only thing I lost were downloaded maps and mods. I do know that since my PC was built, my gaming HD had made these odd noises and whenever I would open a folder, or move a file (as it was in this case), it would hang for a few seconds. This time, I was extracting a folder from a winrar file, and it just froze (the folder, not the PC).

I'm wondering if (that is, if it is a bad HD) that contributed to the reboots and lock ups, as that's where the games I was running reside. Although, I'm not sure how it relates to the video card driver, unless it needed to access that HD.

It's a Western Digital, and I've only had 1 WD 'fail' on me, and that was only because the manufacturer happened to send me two drives by accident (one was good, the other was DOA).

A HDD making noises when accessing files is a universal warning sign of coming HDD failure. Definitely if any drivers were on the HDD, it would crash the OS if they were crucial drivers (video drivers mostly). I think WINDOWS 7 would not have problems staying up even if a program crashes. XP would definitely have a chance of crashing if the HDD crashed a program.

Windows is trolling me. :p I tried my game on the C drive, and it reboot, but, now Windows decided that it wants to find the D drive, and I have a back. :confused: (Kind of reminds me of Windows 95 where it wouldn't detect the harddrive and would blue screen, even thought it was there).

I found out it was the hard drive and video card going up. The hard drive failed some diagnostic tests (took it to a shop), and the video card was overheating. Gonna get replacements.

I guess they don't make things like they used to. My previous computers lasted around 10-15 years. This one had problems after a few months.

I've decided to go back to ATI. What card do you recommend with an ASUS p8z68-v pro GEN/3 motherboard? I was looking at the Radeon HD 7950. Does it have any issues? It seems to be the closest to the 580 (without being a prohibitive price - I saw their latest cards for $1000! :eek:).

Well if the video is overheating you might really just need more fans or better airflow in your setup.
I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath-water, so to say.
Also if you air-cooling is poor, that would explain possibly why new components would have shortened lifespans in your computer.

Post some temperatures maybe?
Speccy is pretty useful for that. http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Can you add more fans and tweak the air flow for better cooling?

Also, if your build is only 3 months old, at least some of the parts should be under manufacturer's warranty. I think the GPU at least should have a 1 year limited warranty.

Top Bottom