Winning on Deity Mode - Malachim/Decius

Delenn

Chieftain
I'm trying to win the game on Deity mode / huge map by using the Malachim with Decius - good alignment (he's got the raiders and organized traits). I tried with the calabim, but their lack of arquebuseers seems to be a fatal flaw.

Turn 100-200 were the usual researching education spam. I threw out 5 warriors, who got experienced. I cheated to see where copper was, as failing to find it would have spelled game over :)

The warriors exp'd up through hoardes of barbarians took out the dwarves (kandrous fir), who where nearby. I spammed a few more warriors, and was really careful with keeping the mega xp'd ones alive. The dwarves had hordes of deity mode junk, but finally got eliminated. Yay, I get copper, research bronzeworking + warfare and build form of the titan. Now i can build units with experience to compare to the computer hordes.

I expand and run into the elves (Ardrie Faedrana), and the Amurites (Valedia Evenhanded). I take out a few barbarian cities and get attacked by the amurites.
I finally end up with my brave army of now swordsmen holed up on the banks of a river. This is where I really become thankful of the raiders trait (first strike - I give one or two of my really xp'd swordsmen drill, so they can slash their way through hordes of junk.) The amurites attack in 3-4 massive waves of swordsmen/hunters/horsemen and with reinforcements from my main cities most of the high xp swordmen stay alive. They are attacking mostly across a river into desert, so I have an advantage here - on the other side of the river, my squad gets cremated. During this time I research writing , and then animal handling/horseriding/trade. Having warfare early REALLY saves me - in one game basically the amurites clean my clock, so I reload back 15 or so turns and switch to military state - drafting really helps. I get to trade, and switch off conquest to foreign trade, so I can research faster.
I manage to fill in the holes in my settlement. Thankfully the north end of my stuff is on a peninsula (old dwarven territory, source of copper). Most of the rest of my border stuff is forest or desert, depending.
Trade is a fun day - I trade off all my stuff with the elves and pick up their spare tech. I get hunting, archery, calender. I spam out a hunter now that I have hunting and go round up elephants ect. The war with Valedia the even finally ends up bribing her off with tech now that I have trade. The elves develop way of the leaf and start spamming it everywhere. I switch to the religious civic for the unrest - nation hood is starting to date (I was citystates/nationhood/military state/conquest during the war but I migrate to citystates/religion/apprenticeship/foreign trade so I can tech).
I attack the elves with my experienced troops and manage to pick up a few cities. The elven cities are guarded by mobs of archers fawns and hunters. The archers are hell. The rest is sushi - but it costs me 2 units for every archer I get rid of (no siege). I use a lot of the inexperienced swordsmen I am spamming out for city clearance, taking out 2-3 of the larger elven cities, inc. one with ivory. I make peace with the elves and sign an open borders. I'm lucky enough to also get one with Valdeia the even.
So now I have about 15 cities, some on a peninsula. My plans for development are smelting / ironworking for champions and then mathematics/engineering/gunpowder. Last game the balserfs wiped me out with arquebuseers as the calabim, so this game I plan to develop them before anyone else does, and spam teutorix just for laughs. I'm probably going to largely ignore magic, except for some way of the leaf priests off the Malachim worldspell. For mages, probably 2 earth nodes developed and then city walls/stoneskin (I figure this is the best bet and I am not sure when i will have 36000 research to investin archmages :)
Comments ? If anyone's interested in my story of winning in deity mode I'll keep posting - the malachim seem pretty decent.

I'm not getting the + to gold in deserts -seems that's gone with the new patch?

It was never + gold in desert, but + commerce.
I have turned to Fall Further and Malakim+, and there they are quite a bit overpowered IMHO, though not more than, say, Lanun.

Malakim have always been good, you just need a long memory for all their small, scattered features.

Deity is boring. Download one of the AI economic mods (once they've been updated to 3.19) and play on Emperor instead.

Side discussion: I never saw the point of going for blasting powder.

Arquebuseers don't seem that great compared to other units around the same point in the tech tree. The only point to getting them seemed to be if you were stuck without any copper or iron, but that advantage is kind of moot since you require another resource to make Arquebuseers. On top of that the necessary resource isn't revealed until you research that tech (unlike the metals where they're revealed one tech prior). On top of THAT blasting powder is a dead end tech.

The only thing is seemed useful for is the mine bonus, but even then it seems only worth it for dwarves.

Side discussion: I never saw the point of going for blasting powder.

Arquebuseers don't seem that great compared to other units around the same point in the tech tree.

Pretty much every other unit has a max of 4, so being able to build 30+ Arquebuseers is a very nice feature. They don't stand up to tier 4 units, but they do great against the hordes of Tier 3 units.

I will try the AI mod . Deity mode gets a bit silly - the computer has a very fierce economy, unfairly so. Without that though, I'm not sure it would be a challenge though.
I blew the malachim wordspell for a horde of priests of leaves who cast tigers, and I've started clearing out junky cities. I switched to emperean (developed by the elves), for the emperean hero with channeling 3. I've built the temple of Temporance using a great engineer, in my main city with the form of the titan and great library. It seems if you switch faiths you keep the priests built in the old faith, or at least the ones using the malachim worldspell. I wonder if I can upgrade them to high priests of leaves. What I really want is 4 emperean HP capable of casting that spell that damages things 30% or so .
I think blasting powder. I need something I can develop quickly that is nasty. It fills in a hole , and I don't really have enough time to get mages experienced before the amurites come up with unpleasant units. They're already wandering around with strength 9 satyrs. I've survived this game basically by developing better and better weapons, and using whatever makeshift religious magic I can borrow off the computer. Religious law was kind of a side development, one I did for basillica (only to find out I needed order - strangely enough with the elves before I was building them - perhaps spiritual trait.) It's not one I mind though - the emperean hero seems very useful and has a potent channeling 3 spell that clears out cities so I can move my troops + tigers in .

It seems if you switch faiths you keep the priests built in the old faith, or at least the ones using the malachim worldspell. I wonder if I can upgrade them to high priests of leaves.

You keep the tier 1 and 2 guys, the tier 3 guys abandon you (if you have any). You can't upgrade to the tier 3 guys (such as High Priest of Leaves) unless you follow the associated religion.

Pretty much every other unit has a max of 4, so being able to build 30+ Arquebuseers is a very nice feature. They don't stand up to tier 4 units, but they do great against the hordes of Tier 3 units.

Yeah the no unit cap was the only decent thing I could see to them.

Blasting powder tech just seems like way too big of a hail mary though. You invest a ton of research for a dead end tech all on the gamble that you'll have a powder resource in your territory. I figure that research is better spent getting tier 4 units than something good against tier 3.

Speaking of expensive dead end techs that produce a questionable unit, does anyone ever bother with precision? It's one of the most expensive techs in the game and the ONLY thing it does is let you upgrade level 6 assassins to marksmen. Sure marksmen are deadly, but I have yet to get an assassin to survive to level 6, let alone enough of them to make the investment into precision worth it. Maybe council of esus makes this doable?

Back to the original topic, I've always wanted to try taking on a deity game as Lunan/Overlords on an archipelago map.

Speaking of expensive dead end techs that produce a questionable unit, does anyone ever bother with precision? It's one of the most expensive techs in the game and the ONLY thing it does is let you upgrade level 6 assassins to marksmen. Sure marksmen are deadly, but I have yet to get an assassin to survive to level 6, let alone enough of them to make the investment into precision worth it. Maybe council of esus makes this doable?

I don't use Marksmen, but I do like to give other units the Marksman promotion. Even so, Precision isn't really a priority tech for me. I pick it up after I already have all the techs that are an important part of my victory strategy.

I don't use Marksmen, but I do like to give other units the Marksman promotion. Even so, Precision isn't really a priority tech for me. I pick it up after I already have all the techs that are an important part of my victory strategy.

Plus there's the fact that assassins are always picking off weak/wounded units, so pouring so much into getting a higher strength assassin unit is kind of pointless.

I dunno. I'm starting to question whether most of the end techs are even worth it, or if I'd be better off just cutting research at a certain point and using the gold to hurry military production for a conquest victory.

Top Bottom