Winning something I didn't actively participate in

Aenthin

Warlord
I didn't know this was possible. Mongolia, being the great big warmongers they are decided to push their limits and take over another CS...for the last time. Everyone then decided to denounce Mongolia, then a few turns later, asked me to wage war on them. I declined each and every one and didn't even bother doing a denouncement.

Then Mongolia stole my tech. Denouncement ensues. :lol:

After a few turns when everyone declared war on Mongolia and took most of his cities and capital, I declared war on him and took my single Privateer to travel halfway of the world. Then suddenly a few turns later, Mongolia decides to ask for a peace treaty.

And gave me a city.

The funny part was that I had the second worst army in the whole game (Mongolia being first due to the other players decimating his) and had only four CS allies, a measly number compared to the likes of Iroquois and Poland and all who live halfway across the globe.

It happens - the trick is to join in the right war. I find you're on fairly safe terms if several other civs are also DOWing someone and you'll then get several DOFs as well.
The AI is only doing for GK what you'd do - trying to reduce the number of opponents he has to fight.

I got 3 cities free in my last game this way. I did have a significant military but def not the most powerful. Only one was worth keeping, the other two I just sold the building in and then sold the cities themselves. great way to control power dynamics, take a city away from your rival, gain a peace treaty with them and then gain extra loot by selling that city to an ally whose power you would like to see elevated.

Often when I DoW someone across the world, instead of actually attacking them, I'll ally with any CS close to them and just gift units (although recently it seems the previous unit vanishes/is destroyed when you gift another). Fighting by proxy tends to be pretty effective and I don't have to waste time shuffling units across the ocean (plus if my opponent conquers the CS I get a chance to liberate em later... prefer doing coastal ones as they're easier to liberate with naval units).

It's usually a good idea to join such wars. You get diplo bonus with everyone and if the war is going favorably for your side, you'll most likely get something for free.

It's usually a good idea to join such wars. You get diplo bonus with everyone and if the war is going favorably for your side, you'll most likely get something for free.

They're only temporary bonuses though but they're worth it.

Top Bottom