[WIP] 160x130 Europe map.

This is by far my favorite europe map, good work. One thing bothers me though- the position of the byzantine empire.. Based on its location, you might change it to the Austrian Empire.

This is by far my favorite europe map, good work. One thing bothers me though- the position of the byzantine empire.. Based on its location, you might change it to the Austrian Empire.

I agree...the place you put the Byantine Empire kinda annoyed me, and since it's a mod anyway you could just add in modular civs like Austria, Poland, etc...

The Byzantines are supposed to represent Hungary (or was it Austria?). I just haven't gotten around to changing their city names yet. :)

Anyway, I've been away from Civ for a while, but I think I'll finally get around to wrapping this one up. As noted earlier in the thread, I'm going be adding more civs to the map (like the Tatars). Furthermore, while I used to be hesitant to add new leaders, I may do so to add more civs. Due to my playing Europa Universalis III so much, I now have an understanding of a broader list of countries with which to populate the map. Here's just a partial list of suggestions:

Tatars
Toulouse
Brittany
Leon
Hittites
Denmark
Norway
Ireland
Sicily
Morocco
Muscovy
Portugal
Livonia

Another idea I had was breaking Germany down into constituent states (AKA the Holy Roman Empire). The only thing I need is more nations in the Russian area; any suggestions?

Here's a few off the top of my head; I don't think there were many states in the Russian area.

Kievan Rus, which came before the Muscovy.

Mongolians (maybe) as the Khanate of Crimea OR the classical era Kingdom of Bosphorus.

Romania, just for filler. :lol:

Volga Bulgaria, an ancient Islamic state deep in the Ural Area. Here's the Wiki article.

Well guys, I came up with a list of civs for the map. There are 30 in all.

England
Scotland
Ireland
Spain
Portugal
Leon
Kiev
Toulouse
Brittany
Hittites
Denmark
Norway
Sicily
Morocco
Portugal
Livonia
Brandenburg
Poland
Rome
Holland
Ottomans
Greece
Carthage
Babylon
France
Hungary
Egypt
Cologne
Bavaria

Before I go nuts merging in a ton of new civs, I'd like to ask; is this too many? Not enough? What do you guys think?

Furthermore, I've got a proposal about religions. As you know, half the original religions in Civ 4 are Asian, which for obvious reasons won't fit with this mod. So I was thinking of replacing them with more European ones (like Orthodoxy). Religions would still act as noraml; this wouldn't change anything except for the names. and it might open the door for me to make scenarios for this mod in the future. Does this sound like a good idea?

Furthermore, I've got a proposal about religions. As you know, half the original religions in Civ 4 are Asian, which for obvious reasons won't fit with this mod. So I was thinking of replacing them with more European ones (like Orthodoxy). Religions would still act as noraml; this wouldn't change anything except for the names. and it might open the door for me to make scenarios for this mod in the future. Does this sound like a good idea?

That sounds sensible. You should definitely take out Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism, and Hinduism. For medevial religions, you have:

*Catholicism

*Orthodox Christianity

*Protestant/Reformist

*Judaism

*Sunni Islam

*Shia Islam

*<insert 7th religion here> :lol:

For classical religions, there are:

*Hellenism

*Roman Mythology

*Mesopotamian Polytheism

*Judaism

*Celtic Mythology

*Carthaginian Mythology

*Asatru

Hope this helped...

I agree with the idea of replacing the religions with Christian/Islamic sects
I'd suggest splitting Protestant/Reformist into Lutheran and Calvinist to get your 7 religions. There was quite a bit of hostility between them early on

I suspect the increased nations list may be too many in some areas. Civ is very punishing to anyone who doesn't get enough land. Possibly some very powerful starting sites in crowded areas might help but then theres a risk that if 1 civ gets control of them it will be overpowered

Crusader Kings (also by Paradox) has an excellent choice of minor Russian states. I'll take a look at that. Novgorod and Kiev are obvious choices but there were others

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this map completed

1. I really like your map!

2. It really needs more Civs.

3. Is there a "clean" version of the map in which you can choose on the number of Civs etc.?

Best map of Europe for Civ IV. However, here's a few suggestions, all relating to the terrain itself, and could be solved simply:
  • The Lisbon area could be improved a bit. A few tiles of water could represent the bay of Lisbon, and a few of land need to stick out more than currently.
  • The Sea of Marmara actually could be a little bit adjusted. The Cannakale peninsula is not shown.
  • The bay of the Netherlands should/can be represented by a few tiles of water.
  • The 2 islands of Estonia are currently a peninsula. Just add some water between them and Estonia and it will be perfect.
  • Cornwall and Wales should be more distinguished.
  • What happened to the Sinai peninsula?

I think that's everything. Everything else you've done is more or less perfect.

And after some day of playing this great map I noticed that the AI-led nations are falling behind more and more. I decided to have a look into them via the worldbuilder... there i could see that those nations who don't have enemy nations close to them but have a lot of "area" around them (Carthago, Germany, Russia and Egypt) have a really hard time fighting all those barbarians.

So we really need this map for at least 24 better more nations.

I would suggest at least Morocco, the Ukraine and maybe one or two Mongol nations in the far east of the map. Maybe there should also be Byelarus and one Nation "the Baltic States".

I like your newest list of civs.

I apologize for complaining about the details, and for being conspicuously pro-Austrian, but might you add Austria instead of Hungary?

If you are going to include German states as small as Bavaria, why not include the power-house Austria? If the presence of Austria, Hungary, and Bavaria cramp that region too much, simply remove Hungary- Remember that Hungary was for much of its history completely under Austrian domination, and later in "equal" union with its neighbor as the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

1. I really like your map!

2. It really needs more Civs.

3. Is there a "clean" version of the map in which you can choose on the number of Civs etc.?

How disgusting it is to quote myself, but I'd still like to get an answer, especially on my 3rd question:

Is there? Or can you make one? Or can you tell me what to do to make this possible?

I'm a little busy at the moment so I can't formulate a proper reply, but I've noted all of your replies. And derflensburger, I don't have a clean version of the map but it should be a trivial matter to make one. If you're in a hurry you can run it through the WB Cleaner utility in the Utilities section, that should give you what you want.

I'm pleased and a little surprised at the continued interest in this project. :) I haven't done much lately but I'll see about rectifying that.

Oh, and just a little tidbit; I was never totally satisfied with this map. It doesn't extend as far to the East as I wanted, among other things. I'm glad others like it though.

This is a very nice map. The main issue I have with it is the lack of personalization of it - the mountain ranges and coast lines don't look as accurate as they could be, with Crimea, Cyprus, and Crete looking strange. The rivers look very blocky and straight as well. The terrain is also strange, and I think that southern Europe should have more plains, and that Mesopotamia should at least have some flood plains, as they had a defining influence on that culture. Also, it looks like you went by a latitude basis when choosing evergreen or deciduous forest, while areas like England, coastal Norway, coastal Denmark, and much of Germany and the Low Countries are rather temperate in nature. I don't mean anything wrong by it, I am just offering the points that I believe could be improved.

Overall, however, very nice map, too bad it doesn't run too good on my computer.

This is a very nice map. The main issue I have with it is the lack of personalization of it - the mountain ranges and coast lines don't look as accurate as they could be, with Crimea, Cyprus, and Crete looking strange. The rivers look very blocky and straight as well. The terrain is also strange, and I think that southern Europe should have more plains, and that Mesopotamia should at least have some flood plains, as they had a defining influence on that culture. Also, it looks like you went by a latitude basis when choosing evergreen or deciduous forest, while areas like England, coastal Norway, coastal Denmark, and much of Germany and the Low Countries are rather temperate in nature. I don't mean anything wrong by it, I am just offering the points that I believe could be improved.

Overall, however, very nice map, too bad it doesn't run too good on my computer.

Are all of the rivers in need of improvement? I know the ones in the east are kind of poorly done because I was in a hurry (I've noted everything you said, I just wanted to know about this particualr issue because rivers are a pain for me).

Top Bottom