[WIP] Madoka Magica: Wish for the World

Welp, I tried the logging thing you mentioned, but after following the logging tutorial found here, the lua.log file ended up being empty.

EDIT: Thoroughly confused now. Launched a game with only the Community Patch (newest edition), WFTW, and Steampunk BNW enabled, and boom, Magical Girls spawning. Re-enabled the rest of my mods and MGs are avoiding me like I just got back from a convention. Going through the rest of my mods now to see who the real culprit is.

Edit DOS: Found the culprit. One of my Civilization mods, Luca Trulywroth, had a unique unit that replaced Infantry. As the Steampunk mod removed Plastics, the tech that Luca's UU required, the unit itself bugged, and this somehow blocked MG spawning. Changing the UU's preq tech to Radio, as Steampunk's Infantry used, resolved the issue entirely.

Edit DOS: Found the culprit. One of my Civilization mods, Luca Trulywroth, had a unique unit that replaced Infantry. As the Steampunk mod removed Plastics, the tech that Luca's UU required, the unit itself bugged, and this somehow blocked MG spawning. Changing the UU's preq tech to Radio, as Steampunk's Infantry used, resolved the issue entirely.

Likely, this caused problems in the portion of WFTW's Lua which goes and builds the table of Strength values for MGs/Witches/Familiars/Incubators by era. It has a relatively involved process which loops over the Units list several times, checking their prereq techs against the Era that tech is in, etc. If the unit's prereq tech no longer exists, it's probably causing that loop to break, which consequently causes the rest of the WFTW script to fail.

I just made an account specifically to tell how much I love this mod, its added over a hundred hours of gameplay to civ 5 and will most likely give me hundreds more.

I just made an account specifically to tell how much I love this mod, its added over a hundred hours of gameplay to civ 5 and will most likely give me hundreds more.

I'm glad to see that people are still enjoying WFTW. It's felt kind of dead in terms of player interest, and as such I have sidelined it for a bit in favor of my Neptunia civs. I'll be getting back to work on this probably when I have a full set of 8 Neps on the workshop.

Heh, same here. This mod is incredibly fun. Keep up the good work
I'm glad to see that people are still enjoying WFTW. It's felt kind of dead in terms of player interest, and as such I have sidelined it for a bit in favor of my Neptunia civs. I'll be getting back to work on this probably when I have a full set of 8 Neps on the workshop.
Perhaps that lack of interest is because it's still in beta (and more specifically has [BETA] stamped on the steam workshop thumbnail in big letters)? That did intimidate me away from this for quite a while.

Perhaps that lack of interest is because it's still in beta (and more specifically has [BETA] stamped on the steam workshop thumbnail in big letters)? That did intimidate me away from this for quite a while.

I guess I could remove that from the mod in its next update, since it doesn't seem to be a CTD minefield anymore. I still feel a little dishonest saying it isn't a beta when it is still missing key features...but hey, hasn't stopped Piety & Prestige Sovereignty from not being listed as beta on the Workshop, so may as well.

I need a legitimate logo for this thing though. The Steam Workshop image for it is awful.

I guess I could remove that from the mod in its next update, since it doesn't seem to be a CTD minefield anymore. I still feel a little dishonest saying it isn't a beta when it is still missing key features...but hey, hasn't stopped Piety & Prestige Sovereignty from not being listed as beta on the Workshop, so may as well.

I need a legitimate logo for this thing though. The Steam Workshop image for it is awful.
Hey, missing key features didn't even stop civ V itself from being released :D.

Hey, missing key features didn't even stop civ V itself from being released :D.

Touché.

I will be looking into updating WFTW hopefully around January, though the update might take quite some time since it will include the big "skills" update, which will add no small amount of code and potential (okay, practically guaranteed) balance issues to it.

Need any more Custom Magical Girl Icon art?
I had the feeling like I wanted to draw some Kawaii Anime Girls lately :mischief:
So decided why not do Madoka, and separate the parts a little more so they could possibly be used for something. Here's what I have so far :

Madoka :

(I think I forgot the eyebrows .-.)

Individual Pieces, and Color Alterations :
Spoiler :

I'll draw more hairstyles, outfits, and other things just want to know what you think before I put too many hours into something that someone might not have a use for. :lol:

But, no had fun drawing this just thought I'd go at it more if someone could use it.

Oh nice, I thought this thread was so dead I hadn't bothered to check in a while.

What I had actually determined to do the next time I got around to working on this (which is going to be after I make a round of updates to basically every Civ I have, including those in Beyond Earth) is simply use some of the Madoka Portable sprites (http://www.spriters-resource.com/psp/puellamagimadokamagicaportable/) and shop them around for my needs. This will at least give me a base I need for eyes and such, and will allow me to have mood-based portraits for the main five.

However, this would still leave me needing mood portraits for the following:
  • Nagisa
  • Kazumi
  • Oriko
  • Kirika

I could likely adapt the facial expressions from the Portable sprites to them, so just a basic pose for each would suffice. I would also say Suzune and Tart need some, but well, let's be honest: who even cares about them? I planned on including them a while back, but now, I'd say making them would frankly be a complete waste of time.

I also planned on revamping the generic portraits such that they showed only the face, so I'll be looking at a redraw of those. This will make things a lot easier when I add variant 3D models for MGs -- no need to have a new portrait for every one I add.

Thank you for the contribution! Again, it'll probably be a couple of months yet before I consider myself ready to work on this mod again. I try to never work on a mod of this magnitude unless I'm 100% focused on it and have no other projects being juggled. In other words: feel free to take your time.

Still enjoying this thing. Various thoughts:
While I was playing Madokami, after I razed an enemy city, an enemy MG witched out one turn away from the herald I'd sent to collect her, and then the witch killed both the herald and the cannon I used to break the city. I like to imagine she knew what she was doing when she did that.

Shirome+honor/authority is so hilariously OP.

The lack of easy loyalty increases in the early game means that early magical girls tend to drift from civ to civ, fighting for their ideals and desires rather than at the whim of civ leaders. I actually kinda like that dynamic.

Still enjoying this thing. Various thoughts:
While I was playing Madokami, after I razed an enemy city, an enemy MG witched out one turn away from the herald I'd sent to collect her, and then the witch killed both the herald and the cannon I used to break the city. I like to imagine she knew what she was doing when she did that.

Looks like Homura wasn't the devilish one after all.

Shirome+honor/authority is so hilariously OP.

How so?

The lack of easy loyalty increases in the early game means that early magical girls tend to drift from civ to civ, fighting for their ideals and desires rather than at the whim of civ leaders. I actually kinda like that dynamic.

I honestly think they are side switching way too often as is. I think what I'll do when I (eventually) update this is make it much less common for them to defect, but actually add chances based on Loyalty that MGs will refuse orders and act on their own.

Popped in here to say that I like this mod, but...

I had a problem with the interface where the icons would be far too large for the boxes:

Which was fine, didn't really bother me at first. But then I noticed that I couldn't customise the looks of the MG at all.

Oriko and Kirika working together can kill witches right out of the gate while keeping eachother's moods up, and once they get lighting runes they can move at 4 per turn. With honor/authority, this means they can hunt down witches at much longer ranges while staying active for much longer before getting hamstrung by homesick penalties, and rack up huge piles of promotions, all while shoveling culture to you.

And then, once you get Oriko some healing spells and Kirika learns rosso fantasma and befriending method, they are a decent substitute for a military all on their own.

Hilariously OP might be a bit of an exaggeration, but i have used them to take well defended cities with no backup before.

wow. I got a little bored with civ 5 but then I discovered this. Played a game as Mami and it was really fun. I just wanna tell you that I really enjoy this mod and I can't wait for whenever it gets another update!

Just to be clear, I don't really see O&K being a bit overpowered as a problem. It only happens in the hands of a player, and only then when they choose to exploit it.

Top Bottom