Wireless routers

Chukchi Husky

Lone Wolf
My parents have gone with a new internet provider, but they gave us a wired modem using a coax cable instead of a phone cable to connect to the internet, and they put the modem on my computer desk so it's connected to my computer with an ethernet cable. My parents want it to connect to their computer and have a wireless adaptor installed for it (the previous internet provider gave us a wireless modem, so I bought it for mine), and hopefully for the Wii and Xbox 360.

I thought about getting a wireless router, but I don't know what to look for (except for 802.11b/g but it seems all support that). I need one that can be connected to a computer with an ethernet cable because it's pointless to have my computer have a wireless connection because of how close it is to the modem.

Sounds like you just need a wireless router/switch/hub which has wired connections as well. Most of them have that, so the choice from there is up to you. I'd advise looking at ratings and reviews on Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, etc, to find out what's good/cheap.

Your cable modem is your "gateway". Plug its ethernet cable into one of the wired connections on whatever device you buy, and connect your other computers to the device as well. Configure your computers to connect to the internet "through a gateway" (as opposed to "through another computer").

Good luck! :)

Top Bottom