Wondering about wonders

jonbe54

Chieftain
I've checked out the released notes on changes implemented in Warlords but have run up against a problem not covered by them, so here goes. I was building the Oracle and noticed I was quite close to having Divine right available as a research option so with 5 turns remaining on my Oracle build I decided to switch over to Pyramid until Divine right came onto my list of advance research options. Once it was available I went to change back to Oracle as its a fairly lengthy research early on but found it unavailable for building in any of my cities. I went to the wonders screen listing and found that nobody else had built it so I thought wtf?? Anyway after a turn I then went to change back to Pyramid and found that this also was unavailable! Does switching wonder construction cause a bug? Is this a so-called feature?? Does a patch I haven't heard of fix this?

I think this problem is due to the fact that you already building it. You need to go to the city screen, where you started the build, and move it to the top of the queue.

It's probably what DoorMan is talking about.

You can easily tell. Is the wonder darkened out on the city screen or missing completely? If it's missing completely, someone else built it. If it's darkened out one of your other cities has it in their queue or you're missing some requirement. Mouse-over it and see if there's any red text.

damn, you're able to research Divine Right before the Oracle has been built? Is it on a lower level? In most of my games, if I don't have the oracle by the time Theology rolls around, it is almost certain that another civ has grabbed it. The free tech is too tempting for an AI on Noble+ to deny especially if one of the civs had Mysticism as a starting tech

I totally agree w/ Blitzkrieg1980. the best techs I've ever had w/ and Oracle are
Feudalism, CS slingshot, and Nationalism somehow. However, the Nationalism was on what I believe to be Chieftain or Warlord.

Ancient wonders usually can only be built in the ancient and classical age (in this case maybe even the medieval age). After you research Divine Right, I think you have enter the Renaissance age, which disable your ability to build those ancient wonders

I've checked out the released notes on changes implemented in Warlords but have run up against a problem not covered by them, so here goes. I was building the Oracle and noticed I was quite close to having Divine right available as a research option so with 5 turns remaining on my Oracle build I decided to switch over to Pyramid until Divine right came onto my list of advance research options. Once it was available I went to change back to Oracle as its a fairly lengthy research early on but found it unavailable for building in any of my cities. I went to the wonders screen listing and found that nobody else had built it so I thought wtf?? Anyway after a turn I then went to change back to Pyramid and found that this also was unavailable! Does switching wonder construction cause a bug? Is this a so-called feature?? Does a patch I haven't heard of fix this?
I suppose one way this could happen is if someone else built it and the city was razed. If you still have the game, you could check the event log, for a build of it and a city being captured and razed. But for two in a row, seems improbable.

Infantry#14's point about being too advanced to build them is news to me, but I could have missed it. I'm not fast enough for that to be an issue. :lol:

dV

Ancient wonders usually can only be built in the ancient and classical age (in this case maybe even the medieval age). After you research Divine Right, I think you have enter the Renaissance age, which disable your ability to build those ancient wonders

not exactly. i'm sure it's not exactly that when you yourself reach a new age, you can't build an ancient wonder. i'm not sure which of two reasons is why:

1) it might be that the wonders are restricted to eras only as far as game start eras. that's my real guess. the wording in the civilopedia for the pyramids is "can only be built on classical and earlier starts", it doesn't say can only be built before classical era ends, if i'm making sense.

2) the current era of the world as a whole is not necessarily the same as the era that you are in; you yourself being in renaissance doesn't mean that that the game thinks the world has entered the renaissance era. quoting from somebody who knows way more about that than i do, "Current game era is considered to be the average era of the remaining players, rounded down, with ancient being considered '1', medieval '2', and so on." so if infantry#14 is right and you can only build wonders in their own eras, my example below proves that in at least vanilla, it's the "game era" that obsoletes the wonder not your own era.

as far as the oracle itself, it's a "classical start or earlier" wonder. i played a game in Vanilla (you're in warlords so may not be the same) on Chieftain where my goal was ASAP diplo victory, so i beelined mass media. the AIs were slow, this was chieftain. i delayed oracle a very long time, in fact until i was 1 turn away from liberalism. i was no longer in the classical era myself, but the AIs were. i picked radio from the oracle and mass media from liberalism, it was hysterical fun.

so in 1.61 vanilla, i'm sure you can build the oracle when you're post-classical, at least if the rest of the world isn't post-classical. my guess is that yours was a building queue issue, but i don't know for sure. i hope you figure it out and that you have fun!

I'm pretty sure it just means you cant start in the modern era and build The Oracle to get computers for free in 10 turns after starting. :p

damn, you're able to research Divine Right before the Oracle has been built? Is it on a lower level? In most of my games, if I don't have the oracle by the time Theology rolls around, it is almost certain that another civ has grabbed it. The free tech is too tempting for an AI on Noble+ to deny especially if one of the civs had Mysticism as a starting tech

Not quite: he was 5 turns away from being able to research divine right. Probably lightbulbed theology and had 5 turns left on monarchy. Ramesses II would probably be the best leader for an Oracle/DR slingshot.

Top Bottom