Wonders (and whiffing on them) playing Deity

_megafone_

Warlord
What kind of timetable you follow when deciding to go for an early Wonder (considering you're alone on the map and don't need to build a lot of troops early, as this usually precludes any Ancient or Classical stuff)? I usually go GL when I can complete it around turn 35-40, and Oracle straight after it. Cultural games, Stonehenge up to around turn 45.

Do you guys discard games where you go for those early Wonders and whiff? I am playing a game with Siam on Archipelago now and the AI completed the GL on turn 28... I'm still going on with it, but that made me pretty angry lol.

Thoughts?

I never discard a game for a missed wonder, but I never go for the GL. Getting HS - PT is high percentage stuff, but occasionally Rameses or someone will snap off a really fast PT forcing a change in strategy. Recently that happened to me after I'd taken the GE but before I'd burned it on the instabuild for PT. All other wonders were taken and I was thinking about hanging on to him to try for Big Ben or something like that but just decided to make a manufactory instead, still ended up winning that game. Wonders can always be captured. The annoying thing is if you have some kind of slingshot planned and that messes it up, forcing you to delay an attack or go for a completely different kind of war in another era. Adapting is fun, it'd be boring if every game was the same.

For those wonders, the best ones, I try to build NC in the mid 60's and HS in the mid 80's with as little a delay as possible to finish Education and rush PT. Other wonders like stonehenge etc, aren't things I try to build myself at the start of a game, but I have an eye on where they are - they'll be mine one day after all ;).

Like Snarzberry, I would never discard a game if I missed a wonder - that sort of thing fosters sloppy play. It's perfectly possible to beat deity having whiffed the GL, but I tend to think that the better play is just not to attempt it. Turn 35 is about as fast as you can ever complete the GL, but the AI builds it earlier than that more often than not.

In a cultural game, I'd make a strict bee-line for the Oracle. Stonehenge isn't good enough to be worth the risk of missing the Oracle. I built Stonehenge in GOTM TSG 27, because I got calendar from a ruin, but even then it may have been a mistake, because it delayed the production of settlers, which meant I got hemmed in.

In a non-cultural game (at deity), I wouldn't build any wonders before the Hagia Sophia. At any level below deity, the GL is usually a pretty sound build.

Anyone have an acronym list for great wonders?

From war academy: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=442106#5

World Wonders

AW - Angkor Wat
CI - Chichen Itza
CR - Cristo Redentor
ET - Eiffel Tower
FP - Forbidden Palace
GL - Great Library
GLH - Great LightHouse
GW - Great Wall
HG - Hanging Gardens
HS - Hagia Sophia