Wonders for small nations

AIAndy

Deity
When a player is too small compared to others in Civilization, it gets really hard to catch up and more often you just fall further and further behind.
Tech diffusion helps somewhat in regards to tech but empire size is not changed by that.

So what about adding a set of wonders to the game that can only be built if you are small compared to the normal empire size at that tech level or small compared to the other players or in the last half or third of the score list. Or if you could only build one such wonder if you are at war with a seriously stronger opponent and there are enemy units on your territory.
The big players would not be able to build them so it could give a larger boost than normal for that kind of building.
A possibility would also be to focus on giving a temporary advantage like retrieving a bunch of powerful units or heroes on completion or getting a long golden age or a promotion on all existing units (but not new ones).

I assume you would know how to code for this.

Some ideas for wonders ...

Foreign Aid [National Wonder]
- Gives Food, Health and Science to all cities.
- Must have a good relationship with a powerful nation (foreign nation requires globalization).

Disaster Relief [National Wonder]
- Gives Food, Health and Production to all cities.
- Must have a good relationship with a powerful nation (foreign nation requires modern medicine).

Missionary Aid [National Wonder]
- Gives Food, Health and Production to all cities.
- Must have a state religion.
- Must have a good relationship with a powerful nation of the same religion (foreign nation requires theology).

I am thinking perhaps these should be more like events than wonders.

I am thinking perhaps these should be more like events than wonders.
Both wonders and events would be a useful approach. Best both though.
The advantage of wonders is that you can choose when to build them, which in combination with a temporary boost will be a strategic option.

Just some ideas:
North Korean Nuclear Program:
- Gives some nuclear weapons on completion
- Needs to be at war with a powerful nation with nukes

Total War
- Drafts units from all cities at a cost
- Needs to be at war with two powerful nations

I would be strongly against this idea. It basically gives 'cheats' to smaller nations, helping them stay alive (and use system resources).

Remember, most of these Small civs are caused by REV, and are representing a civil war with their progenitor. If DH ever gets the WLBO stuff running we could simulate foreign interventions through both military action(ala kosovo or libya), and the UN. If this were to be added, it should only be a choice ingame for the 'big' nations and should be implemented via events (for unilateral aid/intervention) and the UN.

It should also be a game option on startup (like city limits).

Top Bottom