Wonders should be districts or buildings within districts, not take up whole tiles.

nukehumvee

Warlord
One gripe I have with VI is that Wonders take up valuable tiles - tiles that otherwise could be used for districts or other improvements.
If only Wonders can act as functional districts or buildings.
Examples:
The Eiffel Tower can replace the Monument in the city centre.
The Zollverein can be used as an industrial zone.
Broadway as either a theatre square or a substitute to Broadcast Centre.

This will need a rescaling of the Wonders, but I think it's better than having them take up tiles.

I like wonders taking up tiles. They look so pretty on the map.

Plus, I'm finding my cities almost never grow to the point where I'm really running out of tiles, even with districts and wonders taking up space. Going by what I'm reading on here, I think the reason most people aren't building wonders is that they are too expensive for relatively modest benefits, not that they're taking up space.

Then they would need to remove the terrain requirement, or they would be impossible to build due to double terrain + district requirement.
I agree. Some requirements can be done away with, but others are essential. Broadway, from my example above, may still need a theatre square on flat land, but this might cut them off from the Greeks, whose Acropolis can only be built on hills. It's fair when the flat land requirement is lifted.

I agree. Some requirements can be done away with, but others are essential. Broadway, from my example above, may still need a theatre square on flat land, but this might cut them off from the Greeks, whose Acropolis can only be built on hills. It's fair when the flat land requirement is lifted.

1. Capture (as Greece) foreign city which built a regular theatre square
  2. Build Broadway
  3. Profit!?

Bringing wonders, and in fact all buildings, out of the city square has been a great change. There is only one copy of each wonder worldwide, it should take up significant space.

I disagree it's the first time in a civilization some kind of nerf is appearing for wonder. By this, having a city with 5-6 wonder is creating you a flaw, and that's the amazing part. You got to do a choice, a real choice, instead of spamming wonders like a fool...

I like wonders taking up tiles. They look so pretty on the map.

Plus, I'm finding my cities almost never grow to the point where I'm really running out of tiles, even with districts and wonders taking up space. Going by what I'm reading on here, I think the reason most people aren't building wonders is that they are too expensive for relatively modest benefits, not that they're taking up space.

because they look pretty. You gotta be freakin kidding me. People have no standards anymore.

because they look pretty. You gotta be freakin kidding me. People have no standards anymore.

Hah, well, I agree that I do NOT want designers to ruin gameplay for purely aesthetic reasons. Roads are a good example of this. The Civ V designers didn't like what Civ IV's road networks looked like, so they implemented road maintenance, which was a totally brutal mechanic. Civ VI's roads are better than V's, because at least the game doesn't punish you for having them, but I still miss the flexibility of connecting my cities however I want. So that's a case where aestheticism trumped gameplay, which is unfortunate.

On the other hand, for wonders, I think you get huge aesthetic advantages by moving them onto the map, but no gameplay disadvantages. In fact, I think it makes building wonders more interesting and encourages planning ahead--you can settle spots or construct districts with particular wonders in mind. I think it works really well gameplay-wise, and the fact that it looks great is another bonus.

OP's idea is not bad, but a little weird if you take in consideration the real world's wonders don't work as anything else but tourism, and nobody is permitted to "work" them as in some point their historical value overshadows the practical one.

OP's idea is not bad, but a little weird if you take in consideration the real world's wonders don't work as anything else but tourism, and nobody is permitted to "work" them as in some point their historical value overshadows the practical one.

That sounds like a good idea: Wonders stay as tile-sized constructs, but now they have practical and historical values. When first built, the Wonders have only practical value, say the Coliseum giving its home city some amenity, then after a certain period of turns/eras, those practical values are replaced with historical values (faith, culture, tourism).

That sounds like a good idea: Wonders stay as tile-sized constructs, but now they have practical and historical values. When first built, the Wonders have only practical value, say the Coliseum giving its home city some amenity, then after a certain period of turns/eras, those practical values are replaced with historical values (faith, culture, tourism).

You explained it even better. It would add another layer of complexity and realism to the game as now you have to choose a wonder for its practical value (short term) or its historical value (even both).

First I think cities should be able to build I/D/W's up to 4 tiles away instead of 3. Second, I agree SOME wonders should be built in districts. like great library on campus or broadway on theater district. But the one's built on tiles need to be stronger. They should all haveve effects with some staying power. Additionally, some districts are silly. I think they should combine holysite/theater make cultrual site where you can build both faith and culture. Then get rid or aqueduct taking up a tile.

Last edited:
I think they should combine holysite/theater make sultrual site where you can build both faith and culture
Jesus would not approve this, but i know what you mean :lol: . They would fit perfectly.

Jesus would not approve this, but i know what you mean :lol: . They would fit perfectly.
I can see a new civ with such hybrid districts coming up in DLC. But on that topic, culture doesn't need to always hook up with religion.

You explained it even better. It would add another layer of complexity and realism to the game as now you have to choose a wonder for its practical value (short term) or its historical value (even both).
I was about to write about the "both" camp, as there are wonders still serving their intended function. The Kremlin (strangely not appearing in VI) is still where the Russian ruler resides, and the Clock Tower is still up and running.

"Every genuine work of art has as much reason for being as the earth and the sun."--Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Sometimes beauty needs no more excuse for being than that it is beautiful.

Well, some of the wonders, if taken with their real world counterparts, would even be larger than one district.
Take for example Ruhr Valley.

In real world it is actually several cities (especially Dortmund, Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Bochum and Duisburg) which housed the bulk of germanies coal mining, as well as iron industry (with one of the most important weapon german producers, being locatede there). Definitely more like several districts.

Actually, if one would just want to use a single tile for the wonder, one would realistically have to rename the wonder to "Kruppstadt" (Krupp city in english).
Kruppstadt was a whole district of Essen which housed the main steel mills and weapon factories of Krupp. The whole district was just kind of one large factory complex (and existed till the end of WW2)

Disagree, I like the way it is. It forces thinking, decision making, strategy, etc.

If you want wonders you may not be able to have super optimal district placement, for ex.

I don't like how the AIs pack cities so tightly but it's good for some things (overlapping defense, district adjacencies).

I tend to place my cities further apart and usually have tons of tiles to work with and one can always plan ahead for a wonder city to have a bit more space around it.

Top Bottom