Won't install on Windows 7

karenM

Chieftain
Hi all-
I have and love Civ II..Only problem I have is, It will NOT install on Windows 7.
Says its not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running. Says to check my computer's system to see if I need 32 bit or 64 bit version of this program and notify the publisher..I love this one Civ II..Hope someone here can tell me if there is a way to get it to instal and play..
Thanks so much for your time!

sorry i'm so late for this reply. been a while since I CIV2'd anything.. I have CIV2 on my windows 7, no problems..... I just copied the CIV2 from my old lappy onto a portable hard-drive... then I just copied and paste that onto my newer win7... no worries at all,,, I think I had to click XP2 [???] somewhere, but all works fine. I can even play it off the hard-drive.. I just checked.....

That doesn't mean much unless you state which version of Civ2 you're using (classic, MGE or ToT) and which version of Win7 you're running (32-bit or 64-bit). All versions of Civ2 can run on 32-bit Win7. The OP is very likely trying to install classic Civ2 on a 64-bit OS. There are 2 solutions for this person:
  1. Install classic Civ2 on a 32-bit OS (extra computer, virtualisation, dual-booting). See Garfield's link.
  2. Install MGE or ToT on a 64-bit OS and run MastermindX's compatibility patcher. See Garfield's link.
If you have Vista or higher, you'll probably also need the Indeo video codecs.

That doesn't mean much unless you state which version of Civ2 you're using (classic, MGE or ToT) and which version of Win7 you're running (32-bit or 64-bit). All versions of Civ2 can run on 32-bit Win7. The OP is very likely trying to install classic Civ2 on a 64-bit OS. There are 2 solutions for this person:
  1. Install classic Civ2 on a 32-bit OS (extra computer, virtualisation, dual-booting). See Garfield's link.
  2. Install MGE or ToT on a 64-bit OS and run MastermindX's compatibility patcher. See Garfield's link.
If you have Vista or higher, you'll probably also need the Indeo video codecs.

I have no idea what type of CIV2 it is,,in properties it just says "civilization 2". When I get time I'll try to look a little harder.
I've got windows 7 home Premium, 64bit. But the comp I copied the files from was an old HP HP nc8200 series, 32 bit.
I had someone upgrade it to windows, which i'm sure was just a basic version, as it didnt have the same look as this one. No windows running across the bottom of the screen.

I have no idea what type of CIV2 it is,,in properties it just says "civilization 2". When I get time I'll try to look a little harder.
It's displayed in the Game Options (Ctrl+O) window title. I pulled the following version strings out of some Civ2.exe files:

Classic 1.02: "1.02 4-Mar-96"
Classic 2.42: "2.42 Custom 08-Oct-96"
Fantastic Worlds 2.78: "2.7.81 Scenario Editor 21-Oct-97"
Multiplayer Gold Edition (unpatched): "5.2.5f Multiplayer 6-November-98"
Multiplayer Gold Edition 1.3: "5.4.0f Multiplayer 26-March-99 Patch 3"
Test of Time 1.0: "1.0.0 Test of Time 26-Apr-99"
Test of Time 1.1: "1.1.0 Test of Time 07-Sep-99"

Sorry for my late reply. I have Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition. Sounds like a good one. :)

August 20 1998.....

Top Bottom