workers stopping work

6 months and no fix? What a joke.

Get yourself the G&K upgrade and save yourself some grief. I think it's horrible that you should have to pay for a bug fix, but I think it's your only option because this has been around for a very long time without the devs correcting it.

I'm not giving this company any more money, now or ever.

There is a simple fix....... It involves useing the ingame editor from the mods site. When the workers won't work just toggle war v barbarians off then on again (it works with the other civs as well but you take a faction hit for declaring war with any of them and as far as I can tell you don't take any using the barbs). I am not sure of the exact sequence and sometimes I have to do it a couple of times, but so far it has never failed to get them working as they should!

I also have G&K and I can assure you that I am still experiencing the BUG when I play VANILLA!

Since upgrading, I have only played one game in Vanilla mode (Mongol scenario), so I may have been wrong on that point. I probably just got lucky while playing that one game. I am far less focused on workers while playing that scenario, and other civs are less likely to get near my workers than in a normal game, so now that I think about it the bug probably just didn't have the conditions to trigger.

Yup still no fix. I gave up trying to get anything done about it here. This whole situation is a play to get more money out of people. Wish something legally could be done about it. But all I can do is refuse to pay for an expansion to get rid of something that shouldnt exist in the first place. I also constantly make comments about a buggy, broken game on the advertisements they send out regularly on facebook.

Yup still no fix. I gave up trying to get anything done about it here. This whole situation is a play to get more money out of people. Wish something legally could be done about it. But all I can do is refuse to pay for an expansion to get rid of something that shouldnt exist in the first place. I also constantly make comments about a buggy, broken game on the advertisements they send out regularly on facebook.

Personally, I have had so many hundreds of hours of fun playing this game that I was not deterred from purchasing the G&K package and it won't stop me buying BNW either!! Unlike most other people, I find Petra to be OP on the G&K so while I wait for BNW I would rather spend my spare time fiddling with the VANILLA version. It's a shame that we are reduced to playing the type of game that does not involve the use of workers.

PS - Please do not tell me the only option is to put a military unit on each worker, that is crazy and only goes to show this is a bug that needs urgent attention ;)

This is the only way I can sorta deal with the worker bug. Sucks that I have to stick a military unit on each worker, but its the only sane way I can deal with the bug. As long as you have a military unit on the worker, it will not stop each turn when issued multi-turn orders. I just set them on fortify or alert. A scout will count as a military unit.

I fought the good fight and was in it for the long haul, but a friend got tired of my complaining about the bugs and undermined my crusade. He bought the Gods & Kings for me on Steam so I had no choice but to upgrade and be clear of the worker bug (for the most part, it surfaced once so far). But I know your pain and you will never be forgotten!!! :D

As the person who started this rant, I feel I am entitled to inform anyone who is interested in the following measures that may help to decrease the effects of this bug.

1 - Don't play Marathon, the problem increases the slower the speed.

2 - If you are capable of doing so, then play at Emperor level or higher because when you capture enemy Cities the countryside will already be improved.

3 - Build the Pyramids, or better still capture the City that built them as a priority.

4 - If possible, then wait until you have researched to the Modern Era before wiping out all the opposing AI Civilisations.

Good gaming guys.

I played to death every one of the Civ 5 series until this one.

I bought Civ 5 when it came out. When I finally got it working, I didn't like it at all.

A couple of weeks ago I re-installed it, to see if patches had made it playable. Mostly I wanted to see if I would enjoy it enough to justify buying the expansions.

However this bug is infuriating, and I cannot believe the final version of the game would still have a bug like this.

Is there any way around it, eg a particular mod pack which resolves it but doesn't change game balance?

kulak, there is this other problem with steam - since your game gets patched (but not fixed) all the time, your mods run out of date. The Modder start working on the expansion mods, and the mods like VEM don't work on vanilla any longer. I think it's time to get back to cIV ;-)

Kulak, its a crappy workaround, but if you keep a military unit of any sort on the worker, it wont ask you each round for work orders. Even a scout works.

Dropping in here from 2014 to confirm that I may be a victim of this bug, as well. Some workers are working the land, while others like to sit in my city centers (and I don't think they're striking, either!) I've tried installing the in game editor mod to make peace with the barbarians then go to war with them again (in the same turn), and after two turns in I'm not sure if that worked.

If you have automated your workers (a bad practice, by the way) they will go sit in your cities if they think they have nothing to do.

If you have automated your workers (a bad practice, by the way) they will go sit in your cities if they think they have nothing to do.

Strange... Five pages and I don't think anyone has said that yet :lol:

I wonder if that may be it, though.

What most have described are workers that are supposed to be working a tile improvement stopping every turn to ask for new instructions, even if there are no enemy units (barbs or AI) anywhere near the worker. If your automated workers are just idling in cities, that isn't this bug.

What most have described are workers that are supposed to be working a tile improvement stopping every turn to ask for new instructions, even if there are no enemy units (barbs or AI) anywhere near the worker. If your automated workers are just idling in cities, that isn't this bug.

Sorry, I was just adding onto what OP said in his second post of the thread. Strangely enough though, it looks like my workers are getting back to work... I have conquered quite a few cities, so they must be finding work to do now.

Members are still reading about this bug and mostly I would think it has been a waste of their time, would it be helpful to put a Vanilla prefix on this thread?

I just had this bug when playing vanilla in "Samurai Invasion of Korea" scenario when playing as China on Emperor difficulty. There are no citystates in that map. My workers on the upper side of the map refused to complete the farms, even though there was no barbarian threat from the mountains above anymore.

Very annoying, since the unfinished farm looks like a completed farm even when it's not done. It's easy to think that it's completed. I had to hold mousepointer on the tile to see on tooltip, where it said that there was no farm on it.

When starting production again, they made one chop with their tool and stopped. Sometimes that single strike was enough to complete the farm, but often nothing at all happend. It was a bit weird to see them complete the farm on the very moment that I ordered them to start the work. I don't recall that ever happend for me before.

As an afterthought, farms might not have been the best thing to build with workers on that map, but at least I won. Korea did most of the work though. But anyway, very annoying bug!

I just had this bug when playing vanilla in "Samurai Invasion of Korea" scenario when playing as China on Emperor difficulty. There are no citystates in that map. My workers on the upper side of the map refused to complete the farms, even though there was no barbarian threat from the mountains above anymore.

When I started this thread, I was mentioning every possible reason that I ever came across as to why the workers were stopping work. The list is long and is as follows.

1 - A barb camp was once in the vicinity.
2 - I was once at war with a City State.
3 - I was once at war with a AI Civ.
4 - Working around a captured City.

The above four reasons are to be expected in the first instance, but should not continue after the threat is no longer there.

As you say this is a game breaking bug and is worsened by playing at the slower speeds. In time the workers will eventually return to work, it can take hundreds of turns at marathon speed.

Top Bottom