Working MAF fix for WinXP 32bit!!

Ok, seems doing the file edit and /3GB change fixed MAFs and I've not had one for months (even with 18 civs on a map size massively larger than the largest the game allows by default). Odd considering I only have 2GB of RAM :p

Does upgrading to 64-bit Windows XP fix this issue? Has anyone tried it? I assume I will still ned to modify the CIV IV .exe file to use more than 2 GB of RAM, but I would liek to squash this bug once and for all.

Does 64-bit Windows introduce other issues? Is it compatible with other programs?

could really use a xp home edition fix gents

its only 980ad and im MAFing every 8-10 turns or so. so disapointing!

Have you tried Beyond The Sword, I run huge test games and have only experienced a MAF once, My biggest save game currently is 1716 kb. If that gives you a indication. This is on a XP Pro. with 4 gb of memory.

Have you tried Beyond The Sword, I run huge test games and have only experienced a MAF once, My biggest save game currently is 1716 kb. If that gives you a indication. This is on a XP Pro. with 4 gb of memory.

havnt got BtS yet :(

still on warlords. im on xp home with 2.2gbmemory, biggest save is roughly same as yours, MAFs and game just exiting happening every 5 turns or so now...

Wow, thanks for this thread. I never had MAFs since I got BtS, but now, after a memory upgrade, I decided to try a 200x132 plots map for the first time (with 34 civs on it). Everything went well until the late 19th century - I had to tune down video quality two times in between because the game complained about lacking video memory, but that was no big deal.

However, starting at the late 19th century, with about 30 civilizations still on the map, and most of them well into the industrial or even modern age, I started to get MAFs every other turn. I could reduce their frequency a bit by not using the advisors, and I could still play on (the MAFs conveniently happened after the autosave, so I could just restart civ, load the autosave, and continue), but the frequency of the MAFs increased, and at some point I started getting MAFs even in the middle of my turn.

I then decided to actually do something about it.

First I upgraded my machine's physical RAM from 2 GB to 3 GB. This had no effect on the MAFs, they happened with exactly the same frequency.

Then I switched from Windows 2000 (which I was using so far) to Windows XP. This reduced MAF frequency from each turn back to every other turn.

I then applied the /3GB switch as explained in the first post. This *solved* the MAF problem, however I now got excessive wait times before the leaderhead animations started when another Civ contacted me. After about two hours of play, the game crashed with a display driver error.

I then used /Userva=2900 as suggested by Roland Johansen, and the excessive wait time went away. I guess that by using the /3GB switch only, I left the display driver barely any memory to work with, so it had to page data in and out a lot. With /Userva=2900 I could play for about 10 hours until my system froze to a black screen.

I'm now trying /Userva=2816 but I already finished my game, so it will take some time until I run into memory problems again.

Thanks to everyone who was involved in finding this solution! :)

People all you need is a top of line monocore. ONe with 2mb l2 cache, 64bit supported and running around 3.6 ghz deafult on a die shrink pressy for easing related heat contraints

Now upgraded the mobo from 800mhz to 1100 or so, get a decent video card and you should be good on 4 gigs of ram.
The faster you dice up calculations the more load it takes to back things up. least thats my observation. You all negate ghz and mobo speed in the eqation Quite a flaw

Oke, I have make it at my laptop and I have gived command at bdcedit insite. Vista 32 bit and I type in at line IncreaseUserVA 16324. Al works perfect and is very fast. Only one mods give runtime error ++c. I look at next time and traid this fix it too. I have 4 gb memory and the rest is read from a hard disk outside wiht 1 terrabyte. I happy, main laptop is fast very vast. Like IC Train. Next more. Johan van der Wielen Amsterdam

Hi, how is this connected to RAM? say if you have only 2gigs of ram, wouldn't turning on the 3gig switch cause the computer to allocate more ram then it actually has? Would turning on the 3gig switch when you only have 2gigs of ram actually do anything to help starve off MAF errors?

the operating system can allocate more memory than there is ram by using the swap/page file - this is just quite a bit slower than RAM - but it might help get rid of the MAF error (although depending on the system setup even ram +swap/page memory may not be sufficient for the game plus all other memory using programs running at the same time).

Top Bottom