World builder questions

8loodlvst

Chieftain
I am working on a 8 civ tiny Pangaea map with large wilderness areas and 50% resources, and running into a couple challenges:

1. I meddled with the notepad code of my map I’m developing to remove contact of other civs, however now in game I receive messages like “You are the worst enemy of Neanderthals”. Also, more importantly, I can no longer attack animals, my combat units just occupy the same tile as the wild animal.

How do I fix this?

2. How do I remove the revealed map spots that have been revealed as a result of placing and replacing starting units for various civs?

3. Should I save my world builder map as a world builder map save and also save it in private maps? If not, how do I save it as a scenario map so I can play it in custom scenarios, and be able to choose my civ?

4. When I start a game on my map in scenarios, and go straight to world builder, the map has reduced in size to a 40x40 square of the former bigger map centered on my civ start location. This also happened when I played one of Snofru’s maps, the world-like standard size. I loaded a save game and went to world builder, and realized now the world-like map was reduced to a 40x40 Pangaea of the biggest continent. How do I fix this? Is this related to enabling viewports?

thank you!

Last edited:
1. I meddled with the notepad code of my map I’m developing to remove contact of other civs, however now in game I receive messages like “You are the worst enemy of Neanderthals”. Also, more importantly, I can no longer attack animals, my combat units just occupy the same tile as the wild animal.
That is weird... I can investigate, upload your map file so I can see if something is strange in it with a text editor.
2. How do I remove the revealed map spots that have been revealed as a result of placing and replacing starting units for various civs?
There is a revealed plot editor in the worldbuilder, I think it works as it should, though I've never tested it properly. haven't used the worldbuilder much to be honest, which is ironic as I'm kinda in charge of improving it as the only python modder who feels up to the task of it atm. I rely a lot on user reports about it, like the one you have given me here. ^^
3. Should I save my world builder map as a world builder map save and also save it in private maps? If not, how do I save it as a scenario map so I can play it in custom scenarios, and be able to choose my civ?
It should be saved in: \Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder but it can also be in the provateMaps folder. Both places should work when selecting what scenario you want to play.
To be able to select entirely freely what civ you will play as, the scenario can't have any civs defined for the player slots, editing away the civs with a text editor can be done and still have pre-placed cities/units defined for the player slot, but I don't think the scenario read code expects to find cities and units for a player slot that is not a starting player, e.g. you ask for only three AI's plus yourself in custom scenario and there are cities/units belonging to player slot bigger than three defined in the scenario file. hmm I'd need to investigate that some, the read code will probably do something wrong in that case...
4. When I start a game on my map in scenarios, and go straight to world builder, the map has reduced in size to a 40x40 square of the former bigger map centered on my civ start location. This also happened when I played one of Snofru’s maps, the world-like standard size. I loaded a save game and went to world builder, and realized now the world-like map was reduced to a 40x40 Pangaea of the biggest continent. How do I fix this? Is this related to enabling viewports?
viewports will only ever show a section of the map at one time, but you can move that section to either cardinal direction by a set amount by hitting alt+arrow_key I think, perhaps it was the numpad arrows, perhaps both work.
Also the military advisor screen will have the whole map in its minimap, but perhaps not before the map has been centered (not centered at your starting plot that is.) I'm not sure how the worldbuilder reacts to viewports being enabled to be honest, never tried entering it with it enabled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom