Worst Civ in the Game??

Fluphen Azine

What is Fluphen Azine?
I am not sure that any Civ is horrible to play but what is your Least Favorite Civ in the game to play? Which Civ do you find yourself never wanting to play? I know a lot of people do not want to play India but this does not mean they are the worst and I actually like them. My least has been William for a long time but after the DCL 14 I am going to have to rethink this. I was hoping to get some feedback since Id like to post my next IDS game after Shark Divers with the most hated Civ in the game. I know that will not help people play it but I would like to post a map with them!

Austria, Carthage, Ethiopia, Rome and Russia (in purely alphabetical order)

They are all really boring for my play style, and not very good at any peaceful VC either.

My least favorite civs to play is Korea and Ethiopia. I don't like their colors and music-themes and their bonuses and uniques is good but boring. I also don't enjoy playing Venice...

Carthage, India, Netherlands, Ottomans, Brazil and Byzantium is also no favorites that usually end up in a re-roll with a more fun civilization! :)

I figured Shark Diver was going to say that lol!! Too Funny! I am surprised about Ethiopia though. I find them dynamic, especially when you go 4 city Tradition and get all those free faith/culture buildings. The defense bonus is pretty sweet IMO! If you play them with a 6 City or more Liberty game the Faith/Cult get rolling pretty good as well. This Civ was a go to when I would play 6 player FFAs and 1v1 MPs. Ofcourse I changed that when Poland came out they are so awesome on MP!

Too Funny that your least Fav Civs are in exact alphabetical order Consentient!

I do not play Carthage very much either. However, Korea is a pretty sweet Science Civ, I do not mind them at all!

I do not mind Venice at all but it is more of a sit back and win type of Civ. A very good Civ to play for a fast, peaceful win.

I am starting to lean on the side of Austria as my least!! I know I really hate them in the game! I can't stand it when she marries a CS and you can't Liberate it when you Capture it!! That really upsets me!!

Too Funny that your least Fav Civs are in exact alphabetical order Consentient!

Shark Diver's are in alphabetical order also. :)

I sigh when I roll Egypt on deity. I'm not going to build many wonders, so the UA feels like it goes to waste. And I don't like a UU based on the chariot archer. If I'm going to war, it's going to be a bit later in the game.

I guess the two things I dislike are:
1) civs that really promote 2-3 tall city peaceful existences - I find it really boring to play this way, even if it can be very successful
2) civs whose advantages are primarily in the first 100 turns

So guess like India and Byzantium. I don't like Austria either - I'd mostly rather use the CSs as is.

@Fluohen - For me, it's not all about gameplay. I also value the aestetics of the civs and find Ethiopias theme, both colors and music awful to play. Same goes for Korea. That they are top civs in gameplay aspects has nothing to do with it.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Thinking about this a bit more, in the context of "I've got a few hours to kill so let's roll a random civ", the civs most likely to cause me to re-roll are:

-Venice - I like picking my own city cites.
-Germany - I respect them, but early rushes w/brutes isn't exactly my style. I also have to change my build order to compensate for using CS trade routes instead of internal TR's.
-Rome - Because I'm convinced that the game's algorithm ensures that they will NEVER have good dirt, will ALWAYS be surrounded by nuisances, and I'm sick and tired of having purple nightmares.
-Austria - Just kind of blah to me

I can't imagine not liking Egypt. I love stacking with the Wonder bonus and the Chariot simply MUST be spammed early and often. One of my pet peeves is to roll a map that has Egypt on the far side of the globe where I can't slow them early.

Why all the Roman hate? They have to be in my top 5, all my best wins on immortal/deity usually come as Rome.

Can't stand Venice, either I can't finish the game because it's so slow/boring or I get a Zulu/Hun/Khan/Anyone carpet of doom before turn 60... Once you get going they're pretty good though, just can't stand them.

Worst to play as, I'm going to say America, Persia, Byzantium, because their abilities hardly intersect with what I play for. Sweden is also subpar but played well they shine

Worst to play against :D Huns, Mongols, Greeks, Koreans, Siam, England

Iroquois and France for me. Their abilities are barely anything. France you can maybe get lucky with early tourism start and then go hotels and what not. Iriqous ability is just down-right broken. Iriqous Mohawk is a swordsmen replacement hat gets a bonus with no iron and in jungle/forest. Who cares? GPT is going to sink you into poverty building these units and you need to be getting you science buildings anyways. Longhouse is pretty... meh? It becomes a 1/4 tile when you get to scientific theory which is pretty nice but unfortunately it loses its 10% production to everything. And it encourages you not to chop and expand into forested areas which is going to limit your growth.

In order Rome/Denmark/Ottomans, Germany, Persia, Mongols (I mean, the 30% against CS is just so useless and the Keshik is the only thing saving the civ from being unplayable, like Denmark is)

Indonesia on Pangaea is boring as heck...
Austria is OK but only as long as the CSs around you are not tundra/desert/no farmland CS. You basically ignore all military and infrastructure since national wonders don't count puppets; so just puppet them when they have the building you want. The ability to tactically block off choke points and manipulate diplomacy between your neighbors by buying CS land is very versatile in some cases (unlike Venice where you WANT/kinda required to buy CSs near the coast); you can keep a warmonger caged in forever trying to move his units past your blockade)

Worst to play against: Korea. Seriously, no one ever comes close. He's so friendly and has so many friends/RAs and runs a whole era ahead of everyone else. Basically you are forced to either kill him or outrace him to the spaceship, which isn't that hard to do in practice, but still... SVs are boring as heck.

Shark Diver's are in alphabetical order also. :)

I sigh when I roll Egypt on deity. I'm not going to build many wonders, so the UA feels like it goes to waste. And I don't like a UU based on the chariot archer. If I'm going to war, it's going to be a bit later in the game.

+20% is for NC, Ironworks, Hermitage and so forth too...
And if you are Egypt you'd better build wonders! (you won't get 20 but I'm sure you can manage 10+ world wonders since in the latter eras all the wonders will be yours)

Budweiser you should either teach me how you got that program inside of a post to vote on Civs. I would like to use it here and list some Civs and let people vote on it. My new hated Civ to play now is Austria and I have a sneaky suspicion that they will be my next Civ to post for the IDS in weeks to come!

@ Consentient... I am surprised Russia got on your list since you enjoy Warmongering. I like them with all those double horses, iron, nukes... etc. Those Cossacks are nice too eh?!

Why all the Roman hate? They have to be in my top 5, all my best wins on immortal/deity usually come as Rome.

That's kind of a tongue-in-cheek joke. If you read my write-ups from the Rome DCL, it was almost comically frustrating. I've just had horrible luck with that civ, which I admittedly haven't played very often on Deity. I'm sure I could have a great game as Rome, as their uniques do have value, it just hasn't happened yet and the memory of the DCL is fresh enough to make me cringe.

Note: Terrible luck is equivalent to making bad decisions.

Note 2: I could probably go back and play that DCL successfully now, but won't as I know where everything is.

Note 3: Dear Gawd…..can you imagine my frustration level with the purple toga people if I got rolled on that map a third time?

Worst to play as, I'm going to say America, Persia, Byzantium, because their abilities hardly intersect with what I play for. Sweden is also subpar but played well they shine

Wow, I happen to like all 4 of those civs, as I think I have recorded DCL wins with all of them. I guess that illustrates the differences in playing styles. Byzantium became a personal favorite after that map, and the Persian map was a very juicy start.

Regarding Sweden…..I don't think I've ever "played them well" and taken full advantage of the UA, but the AI does recognize the value of DoF with them, so peaceful play is easier than usual to maintain if you choose.

Top Bottom