Worst Civilization of the expansion? (Including France)

Of the ones I've played... Assyria. Tried the early conquest route... just ended up mired in unhappiness and debt. Really sucked. I mean it was on duel and I ended up winning, but still...

Arabia is cool, Napoleon is my favorite culture civ, with Egypt behind. Shoshone is awesome, Venice is awesome, Portugal seems cool, Thought Assyria seemed cool too but I see some people smack it, Brazil I have no interest in, with culture golden ages, but I don't like Persia either for the same reason, so take that as you want to.

Indonesia can be cool, but they are a bit too situational for my taste, and their UU is pretty weird. Zulu is early war war war, Don't really know about Morocco, Poland has a boring ability, but it is pretty useful, almost a whole SP tree worth of SPs before Ideologies.

I won't say worst, but Brazil's jungle bias really kills them for me. The lack of production makes getting the necessary wonders difficult. I wouldn't say they're bad even but I find them really hard to play.

Assyria is crazy O.O All you need are two siege towers early game and you're on your way to awesometown. Sure, you COULD keep those cities. But alternately, you could simply take them, hold on to them through the war, steal a bunch of techs, and then give the cities back for a tidy sum. Or spread them amongst others, all the same. Thing is, if you steal 3 to 6 techs, you already got such a crazy headstart its insane. Their UB isnt particulary great, sure, but those Siege Towers + Stealing techs = Awesome.
I'm sadly going to have to say Indonesia. They're too map-specific compared to the others. While the Zulu are one-dimensional, they do what they want to do very well. Morocco is a bit underwhelming compared to what I expected but they do well. Portugal is stronger then I thought. Venice is fun to toy around with, Shoshone can go out of hand real quickly, Poland, as boring as its bonuses are, has a very flexible game particulary due to those simple bonuses, and Brazil...well, they're a one-trick pony too. Just a very powerful one that needs some time to survive the early game though.
France and Arabia are both still really solid.

maybe Indonesia. Before BNW released i really like what i read about this civ, just to find out that its UA is full of bugs. Last time when i play as Indonesia and try to Liberate a C in a another continent which been conquered by Assyria. One of my three unique Luxuries just spawn on their city tile. Just saying, it's very dis appointing to play a civ with a bug :( .
but the best Civ so far is France the chateau UI is very useful when placed on grassland. Its just like that its old UA is still their, just been rebuff .

Indonesia- I complained Spain was too luck based... And it still is, but at least they have units that require skill. Indonesia is just a slot machine of power, one with the deck stacked against you quite badly.

Indonesia. Requires a specific map type to be fully effective and has a silly random ability for their swordsman. Assyria perhaps too, as I find warmongering very difficult in BNW.

Indonesia if you don't get any iron and/or good islands nearby.
Venice if you like expansion (I tried to play them and quit after a while because seeing all this juicy unsettled land made me crazy).

@Some comments above: Poland has a boring ability but it is incredibly powerful. It might be the one overpowered civ of the expansion. Zulus are NOT about early warfare. They are about Impi warfare, i.e., early Renaissance. And they kick butt!

Poland's ability is very potent, yes. I played a King game yesterday, got Tradition, Piety, Patronage, Aesthetics AND Rationalism maxed out as well as 7 tenets in Freedom. By late game Solidarity UA essentially means an extra policy tree unlocked completely.

am not sure but seems Assyria and Indonesia. map is very important for Indonesia and can be very useless in some maps. BNW is peaceful game and Assyria has great disadvantage. you have to conquer cities and this means bad relations with other civs.

Indonesia are one of my favourites. A situational civ= a bad civ now? Well, guess half the civs in the game are useless now... don't forget that the Kris is possibly the best UU in the game, and that the Candi can also be pretty useful in the right place (though it is a little weak, probably to balance things out).

Assyria seems by far the weakest, but I haven't played as them yet.

I haven't played every new civ yet but I can say Venice is definitely powerful and Portugal does a good job. If I had to pick one I'd probably go for Indonesia, its quite dependable on its environment and the ability of the Candi might be a challenge to arrange.
Of the old civs, the Netherlands is definitely the biggest loser. They've been seriously nerfed due to the new trading limits combined with the trading routes; you'll have to sell luxuries for quite a loss, sometimes for 2 gpt every round to make use of the ability. And you are too dependable on DoFs.

Assyria is fantastic, I don't understand the hate.

Normally when I try a domination victory I get behind on tech, but this time I was keeping up just fine because I was stealing it all. Focus primarily on military techs and take the peaceful ones. They are definitely a war civ, with a science twist to them.

I won't say worst, but Brazil's jungle bias really kills them for me. The lack of production makes getting the necessary wonders difficult. I wouldn't say they're bad even but I find them really hard to play.

I second this. I wanted to be smart and play on an Amazon map. Ended up with 2 or three tiles with production in range. Even on normal maps quite tough.

Indonesia purely based on my preferred play style. They are all strong in their own right and when played properly you can steamroll the AI.

I second this. I wanted to be smart and play on an Amazon map. Ended up with 2 or three tiles with production in range. Even on normal maps quite tough.

Yeah your capital will be quite slow, but it will bring in lots of gold, culture and science when you get them UI up on the jungle tiles. I moved my first settler to a desert and built Petra. Production problem solved :) Also carnival + 100% culture/tourism boost if you win a worldproject like world games is insane.

Top Bottom