Worst start ever?

If you were Dido, would this city be impossible to capture? Could helicopters capture it? They are the only unit that comes to mind which can pass over mountains and attack cities.

MarshalN, How long have you played civ? The reason I asked is that knew of a MarshalN from a long time ago.

What's your worst start ever?

I just started a game, random civ, random map, huge, marathon, immortal

Turned out I am England, plopped onto an island of maybe 40 tiles, of which 35 of them are desert, and the other five are plains. I think I'm doomed.

I had one very similar. As Poland,shared an island with a CS and while it did not have any desert, was quite small. I then met my closest neighbor...England.

You can get some pretty poor starts depending on the map. I wish the Kotaku guy posted the save for that game, looks like it could have been actually a pretty decent spot with BNW. Build the Collosus + go for optics immediately for a lighthouse. Build more coastal cities and with the OP trade ships your city would still grow without a problem.

Earth maps can give you some pretty poor starts.

Never had any truly horrible starts. The "bad" ones were just annoying to work with but would work out in the end.

You can get some pretty poor starts depending on the map. I wish the Kotaku guy posted the save for that game, looks like it could have been actually a pretty decent spot with BNW. Build the Collosus + go for optics immediately for a lighthouse. Build more coastal cities and with the OP trade ships your city would still grow without a problem.

Earth maps can give you some pretty poor starts.

I asked him but he doesn't have it saved unfortunately, and he's started a few games since then so it's not in his auto saves.

These happen to be from yesterday. I finally decided to try Venice.

First go: about 50 turns in I realize that the "ocean" I started next to was actually a decent-sized inland sea. Took me ages to find the first City-State and that wasn't on the coast either. Ragequit.

Second go: start next to Shaka, Nobunaga and Monty, couldn't find a single City-State by turn 80 despite efforts to do so. Ragequit when the impis came in.

Third go: went rather smoothly despite some difficulties with Shaka. This time I had non-warmonger trading options too!

Top Bottom