Worst start ever?

MarshalN

Prince
What's your worst start ever?

I just started a game, random civ, random map, huge, marathon, immortal

Turned out I am England, plopped onto an island of maybe 40 tiles, of which 35 of them are desert, and the other five are plains. I think I'm doomed.

Turned out I am England, plopped onto an island of maybe 40 tiles, of which 35 of them are desert, and the other five are plains. I think I'm doomed.
Screenshot?

I wonder what's the minimum amount of turns before a Barbarian can kill the very first settler. I always joke when I play multiplayer and say that my initial settler was captured by a Barbarian.

I'm playing it out a bit and see where it gets me - so far not too promising, although I might actually make it to a pantheon and desert folklore is still up for grabs

Worst start I ever got? G+K's. As pachacuti I spawned on a 6 tile peninsula made up of 3 plain hills, 1 desert hill (with gold) and 1 grassland. The ocean had 1 fish adjacent to me and crabs on the opposite sid of the peninsula. The peninsula was connected to land by a bridge of one tile. That tile? Mountains. No great andean roads, next to no food, no ability to expand unless I bum rushed navigation, bad terrace farms, and no early cash/ ruins. F#*~.

I started in the snow once (with rather normal small continents map settings). The rest doesn't really matter as it's pretty damning to begin with.

You got this !

You could go for Petra, if you got it might turn things around. A Desert pantheon may also help you. Unless you have upped the civs to a very large number there must be something their that makes the area good. Perhaps you will have all the uranium you need one day ;)

Well, 190 turns in, it's not looking so good. The big-ish island next to me can hold one decent city (or two crappy ones) - it's about 20 tiles total. There are no city-states next to me (there are 32 on the map). I finally found the Romans - about 80-100 tiles away via the north pole area with one chokepoint held by an island with a barbarian camp (of course) that has an archer in it, so getting there with embarked units at this point is extremely risky. Rome's island looks way bigger than mine, and worse, is mostly grassland, at least from what I can see. I might try to sneak a scout over protected by my trireme, but that'll take 15 turns. At least I'm England. On the flipside, the score for the Romans is 150, I'm at 70.

It took a long time for me to even get to the Romans, because I had to fight a constant wave of barbarian ships that blocked off the approach to the other side. I can see an island next to me with a city-state, but.... here's the catch - there's no coast area for me to glide over there.

Petra is indeed a remote, remote possibility, but as it is I'm not too optimistic. I would've beelined for it if I didn't have to beeline optics first, but because I had to go for optics I don't think I'll get there fast enough. Turns out optics wasn't very useful. I could also just start again and forget about optics (since it's proving to give me nothing) and instead just go straight for Petra.

I'll try to get a screenshot in, but somehow trying to take a screenshot is crashing my game (with no screenshot)

ive seen other ppl say that the screenshot key crashes their game. Try assigning the screenshot command to a different key binding.

Started with Zulus on a large peninsula blocked from the main continent by two mountains. So no caravans and no aggression before Optics (even then, all of my attacks had to be "intercontinental" invasions).

Not mine, but I think this is worth mentioning.

That's a pretty interesting start. Obv have to go top in the tech tree, but thinking about it, no one is going to be able to take that city, at least no AI will, they wouldn't get enough of a Navy too.

This thread needs screenshots. A picture is worth 1,000 words!

Top Bottom