Wrath of the Mongols

Chapter V
Aftermath
Colonel Sukh laid in his bed in the Medical Tent the doctors were able to save his eye which was now wrapped up in bandages.

The Mongols were victorious with few losses most among the infantry the distraction worked well and Sukh’s fast thinking saved his men from heavy losses during the ambush. The Indians on the other hand had suffered greatly, there military had three-quarters of there military killed before they surrendered, not to mention the many civilians killed in the chaos of battle. This left Sukh questioning the morality of the war, and whether Genghis had a right to attack for pure territorial gain.

“Am I fighting for the right side?” He questioned himself. “Is what Genghis plans just, are we truly destined to rule the world by any means necessary?”

When his joined the army he was an idealistic young man, naively thinking that whatever Mongolia did was just and right. Now he doubted the actions of his country and ruler.

This line of thought caused a great conflict in the young Colonel, conflict that would only grow with time.
---​
The Mongolian army was regrouping to lick its wounds, while awaiting the next war ordered by Genghis.

Meanwhile the soldiers were practicing with there weapons, drilling, and touring around Delhi to pass the time. Some expected to return home soon while others believed another war was eminent.
---​
A week later Genghis called his officers together to give there next orders.

Genghis started the meeting saying “Gentlemen welcome, now I know there are differing theories about are next move. Some think we are going to return home while others say we are going down the path to another war” He paused for a moment then continued. “Well those others are right another war is coming and coming soon.”

With these words Colonel Sukh who had just been released from the Doctors care shifted uneasily in his chair.

“We are going to attack Persia. They are growing to be a threat, there cavalry is well skilled in combat and Cyrus is knowledgeable in how to war. They also separate us from the rich bounty of Europe. We will start by attacking the small village of Susa; it is a couple hundred miles west of Delhi. Assemble your men, we march in three days.”
---​
A mere week later the Mongols Arrived at the border of Persia. Unhesitantly the Mongolians rode hard until they reached Susa, overwhelmed its handful of defenders and burnt it to the ground. The war of Persia had begun

Chapter VI
The Persian War

Colonel Sukh walked through the burnt out ruins of Susa. What had once been homes and businesses were now just smoldering piles of scorched wood under a dreary overcast smoke filled sky. The Colonel remembered the screaming citizens of the town; they ran as fast as they could to escape the inferno, some carrying babies and clutching the hands of children, others carrying what few belonging they could hold on they panicked run away from the chaos. He watched from his horse with his one good eye as the other one was a pale milky white in color with a scar running diagonally down his eyelid, he could see almost nothing with it.

As the town burned and when the last of the torches had been thrown he joined his comrades and left to set up camp.

“So much destruction” he whispered to himself “For what?”

“We did a good job didn’t we?” came a voice from behind it was the voice of Genghis himself, “They didn’t see us coming at all, we didn’t lose a single man and very few were wounded.”

“That is fortunate Genghis. Let’s hope we are that fortunate in the rest of the war.”

“On another note we completed the wall, our citizens have took to calling it the Great Wall, The Great Wall of Mongolia.”

“I can’t wait to see it.”

“That won’t be for awhile I’m afraid this war may take awhile.”

These words stung Colonel Sukh at the prospect of even more lives being wasted in another pointless war.

“Unfortunately I must go to Karakorum for pressing business, or so my governors say” said Genghis “I most likely will not be here for the attack on Persepolis. Until I return General Sarai is in command. Now I must return to camp, I have to prepare for a long journey.”

“Farewell Genghis.”
---​
Upon his return to camp Genghis bid farewell to Sarai, gathered his things, mounted his horse, and rode off with his bodyguards.

It took a week of hard riding to reach the Great Wall which signified the border of Mongolia. When they arrived the bodyguards’ mouths dropped open at the amazing sight, Genghis however seemed unmoved at the sight, however inside he was elated at how his plan had been carried out so well.

A few days later Genghis and company arrived at Karakorum. Once inside the city gates Genghis dismissed his bodyguards and went on his way to his beloved palace which housed the council meeting room.

He entered and made his way to the council chamber upon reaching it he dramatically opened the double doors and sat down at the head of the table.

Some of Genghis’ advisors raised an eyebrow of mild surprise at seeing there ruler with the dirt of the road clinging to him and his hair an unkempt mess.

“What is the pressing business you have called me from the front to deliver?” Inquired Genghis more than a little annoyed at the disturbance to his military campaigning.

“Well Great Khan,” started one of his advisors, “The Arabians have been following a new religious order known as Hinduism ever since it was founded a few hundred years ago.”

“And?”

“Well some of our citizens our following it now and we want your direction in how to respond.”

Genghis glared at his advisors for a moment then said in a almost furious tone “This is the pressing business you have called me from the front for? This could have been sent in a dispatch which I could have responded to.”

His advisors were clearly shaken one of them tried to appease Genghis’ anger by saying “Well we thought you might want to learn...”

Genghis cut him short “I don’t want to learn some superstition conjured up by the Arabians.”

The advisor finished what he was going to say “As we said before we need direction on how to respond, if we announce it as our official religion it will make the citizens following it happy.”

Genghis replied saying “Do whatever you want, I don’t care. Excuse me but I have battles to win.”

Another advisor called after him “Genghis wait that is not the only matter we have called you here for,” he said “Our scientist have made another breakthrough in the working of metals.”

The Khan, his attention regained quickly turned around and listened to what he had to say.

“We have learned how to work iron, this will enable the construction of stronger weapons and axes, speaking of which, they made these,” he then brought a long object wrapped in cloth out from beside his chair, he then walked over to Genghis and set it before him.

Genghis unwrapped the cloth and inside he found two curved swords in sheaths, one long and one shorter, Genghis pulled the longer one out to admire it.

The advisor chimed in to say “It was originally a Japanese design, brought to us by an immigrant who was quoted saying that he was fed up with Tokugawa’s isolationism. It has a single sharp edge and is meant for cutting. They call it the Katana.”

“Impressive, most impressive indeed,” said awed by the new weapons, “They will prove useful on the battlefield, maybe this trip wasn’t a complete waste. Now I must return to the front.” He gathered the swords and stood to leave but before he did he simply said, “Farewell,” and left.

A few minutes after he left the advisor who had informed Genghis of the spread of Hinduism said “Maybe we should of told about the swords first.”

This comment brought chuckles among the advisors, they were glad they had avoided the wrath of Genghis Khan, which was a terrible thing indeed.
---​
Genghis rode hard towards Delhi, reaching it in only a few days. He had left his bodyguards behind and went alone carrying only his provisions and new swords.

A mere two days passed between his arrival at Delhi and regrouping with the army camped outside Persepolis.

He dismounted his horse and then walked to the command tent and entered

“Genghis, I thought you had pressing business in Karakorum,” said Sarai.

“It appears that my advisors and I have differing points of view when it comes to what makes pressing business. My journey bore little fruit.”

“What are those,” asked Colonel Sukh about the new swords sheathed on his left side.

“The fruit,” he replied while taking them out and setting them on the table, “These new swords are called Katanas. They are a recent Japanese invention brought to us by an immigrant. There construction is made possible by our newest discovery. Iron working.”

“Impressive I look forward to seeing them in battle Great Khan,” said Sukh.

“Now General Sarai, please inform me of details of your attack plan,” commanded Genghis.

“At once, we were planning on using the same attack plan as last...”

Genghis cut him off saying “No, the Persians will be expecting that and will prepare against it, we must form another plan for our attack.”

The officers present were General Sarai, General Shaak, Colonel Sukh, Captain Sarga, and Colonel Ishbik the commander of reconnaissance.

Genghis continued saying, “I believe it would be possible to build a tunnel underneath Persepolis’ gates. We will start digging in the center of our camp. Once we have dug far enough we will come up out of it and secure the gate, opening it for our army to pour through.”

Captain Sarga said “Impossible, we cannot dig a tunnel of that size.”

Genghis responded saying, “I find your lack of faith disturbing Captain.”

Captain Sarga swallowed hard at the piercing glare he received from Genghis “I’m sorry for my doubting Great Khan. But a project like that would require great manpower and time.”

“I don’t care if it takes a hundred years and fifty-thousand men, we need it done.”

Colonel Ishbik then said, “Why couldn’t we just attack the city in a frontal assault we have the necessary numbers to succeed.”

Genghis responded saying, “Because Colonel you will find that using one-thousand men in a well thought out way, will do more good than ten-thousand in a blunt frontal assault.”

“Very well I see your point,” said Ishbik.

“Good. Captain Sarga, begin digging the tunnel.”

“Yes sir.”

Chapter VII
The Battle of Persepolis

Genghis and Sarga were walking through the tunnel. It had taken three months to dig. Footsteps from above echoed throughout the tunnel for they were beneath the gates of Persepolis. The tunnel was now gradually sloping up until it hit the roof of the tunnel.

“How are we going to get out of the tunnel?” inquired Genghis.

“We will simply take out the supports supporting the tunnel, thus collapsing it. That is the reason why it slopes up, it will create a staircase out of the rubble for our men to run up,” replied Captain Sarga.

“It’s risky.”

“Yes, but so is war.”

“Right you are captain. I will ready the men.”
---​
The commander of Persia’s army, General Mardonius, reflected on the situation. The city had been evacuated of every civilian who could not fight, government officials, and most importantly the Emperor himself. He knew the Mongolians were going to have a plan to attack the city. He had heard of how Delhi had fallen but he knew better than to expect them to do that again. He planned to make a pre-emptive strike against the Mongols, a counterattack. He would call every soldier in Persepolis to attack the Mongol camp. It was risky he knew, should the attack fail Persepolis would be free to capture. This thought made him think twice about ordering the attack, but only for a moment. They were fighting for there homes and way of life. The plan would work he told himself, it would work
---​
The next day they were ready to strike. Genghis, Colonel Sukh, and the infantry portions of the army were in the tunnel. The engineers had removed as many of the supports as they could without collapsing the tunnel, if they kicked out another support beam it would trigger a chain reaction, opening the end of the tunnel. They left it to the soldiers to kick the last support out so they would not get trampled by the soldiers rushing out.

“Hold,” ordered Genghis. He heard footsteps above; Persians were marching to the gate.

Colonel Sukh leaned over to whisper to Genghis, “Are they going to try and counterattack?”

“I don’t know. Let’s not wait to find out. Kick out that last support and attack!” He ordered one of his men.

“Yes sir!” Replied the soldier as he made a thunderous kick against the support in front of him, it gave way with a loud crack sending the tunnel caving in without adequate support. The plan worked perfectly, the rubble from the street went up in a ramp leading to the surface. The Persian forces above caved in with the street, killing them. The rest of the soldiers were in a state of confusion at the sudden collapse and the Mongols pouring out of the hole.

The archers manning the wall turned around to fire on the Mongolians, they were too late to get them while they were still coming out which decreased there effectiveness. However they were helping to keep them at bay.

Genghis ran out of the hole with his men and drew the twin katanas, both at his left. He then ran full force at the Persians cutting through them furiously. Dodging, cutting, slicing, blocking, it appeared that Genghis was a master of the katana when in reality this was his first time using them in combat.

A Persian swung his sword at Genghis which he blocked with the short katana he held in his left hand, he then sliced across his abdomen with the long katana in his right. He then simultaneously blocked two Persian swords then turned them around and cut both of the wielders chests.

The Persian column was scattering and the gate was being secured, Genghis ordered most of his men to follow him
while the rest stayed and opened the gate.
---​
Sarai, General Shaak, and The Horde were waiting on the Hills outside Persepolis much like it was during the Battle of Delhi. They heard a thunderous sound.

“Sounds like our plan is working General Shaak,” said Sarai. “The gate should be open any minute now.”

General Shaak Turned towards his men and shouted, “Riders be ready.”

And then the gate crept slowly open.

Shaak turned back to his men and ordered them to charge. As thousands of hooves thundered like an earthquake. They swept into the city quickly and began routing the Persian
army.
---​
Genghis was fighting hard through the streets of Persepolis. The Persians were far better at war then the Indians and that showed in the defense of there city, the Mongols had to fight hard for every foot of ground. The Persian were numerous, nearly in every building, and street, it seemed that every able-bodied man in Persepolis had been called to arms. Additionally they had evacuated most of the civilians out of the city.

Genghis was at the head of his men, spinning his katanas in synchronized attacks he was battling through the Persian army. Meanwhile Colonel Sukh was towards the rear. Then without warning boiling tar fell onto the street followed closely by torches setting it aflame. Genghis’ troops were split into two groups, of the roughly one-thousand infantrymen present in the street one-hundred were caught in the flame while most of the remaining were behind Genghis while on his side only fifty were present.

Genghis called out to Sukh saying, “Colonel if you’re alright lead the men out of here.”

Meanwhile Genghis and the remaining men on his side kept pushing forward. Despite there low numbers they gradually were gaining ground on the Persians.

And then a huge Persian soldier came running straight for Genghis. While a tall and imposing man of six feet four inches himself, this new enemy who had to be at least seven feet tall and was very muscular, towered over the Mongolian Ruler. He was armed with a huge axe which was five feet in height in addition to two longswords sheathed across his back, he was lightly armored with only armor on his arms and chest.

Not taking heed of the other Mongols, he swung his axe down at Genghis causing him to jump back. He continued swinging handling his axe like it was a mere broomstick and forcing Genghis closer to the still raging inferno. When only a few feet away being forced into the flames Genghis quickly brought both his blades up to block the next swing of the axe, they were just strong enough to resist the blade of the huge Persian’s weapon. Next Genghis ran towards the Persian and sliced through his side with both katanas causing the Persian to howl in pain. Pressing his advantage he delivered a roundhouse kick to the Persian’s back plunging him into the inferno.

Genghis breathed a sigh of relief, but before he had enough time to catch his breath, the enemy giant ran out of the flames, he had fire licking at his armor, pants, and hair. He swung his axe at Genghis which he dodged easily. The axe hit the stone street and shattered. Undeterred the enemy soldier simply drew his two longswords and continued to furiously attack Genghis, who barely staved off the onslaught. But it was apparent he couldn’t last long and his defense would soon crumble. He would have had the Persian Giant did not make a fatal mistake. He thrust his left sword at Genghis’ side which was easily blocked, without hesitating Genghis swung his long katana down on the enemies arm severing it from his body, once again he cried out in pain and furiously attacked Genghis with his last sword, he swung at Genghis’ left side which he easily parried, he then sliced across the Persian’s knee forcing him to one knee. Genghis, having crippled his enemy then finished him by swinging his sword and cleanly cutting through the Persian’s neck decapitating him.

Genghis, breathing heavily and covered in sweat, having finally vanquished his foe paused to catch his breath. Meanwhile his men had fought the Persian’s back for now ran back to there Ruler to see if he was alright.

Having caught his breath Genghis responded to his soldier’s concerned inquiries by saying, “I’m perfectly fine lads, now we need to regroup with the rest of our men.”
---​
General Shaak was riding at the head of his men, he and Sarai had separated at a fork in the road in pursuit of the fleeing Persians, they had organized and were now facing the Mongols with spears. General Spurred his horse to jump landing amongst the Persians. He demounted and thrust his spear into a man and then drew his sword. The landing of his horse had caused a hole in the Persians line which allowed several Mongolians through. Shaak was fighting through the Persian mob, while he was no master of the sword he was still proficient in it’s use and displayed it while fighting. He did not notice that he suddenly was cut off from his comrade until it was too late. He found himself surrounded he tried to fight off his attackers but his skills lay on the horse not on foot and it wasn’t long before an axe came down and broke his blade, he tripped and the last thing he remembered seeing was the Persian axe that broke his blade being swung down at him.
---​
General Sarai was chasing the Persians out of the city. They were in a frenzied panic, most discarding there weapons and armor to run faster only to be killed by the long spears of the Mongol Cavalry. The Horsemen in the rear got out there Bow and Arrows and began to rain arrows down on the Persians. They had reached the gate and were rushing to get out. General Sarai signaled some of his men to pursue while he and the rest of them rode to aid General Shaak’s men.
---​
Genghis and his men had regrouped with Colonel Sukh and made there way to Cyrus’ Palace with little resistance. Genghis ordered Colonel Sukh to find General Sarai and aid him in combat.

Once his troops had gone Genghis made his way into the Palace, upon entering the throne room he found that Cyrus had left.

“I know you were expecting to fight The Emperor,” came a voice from the shadows. “But perhaps you would settle with fighting me.”

“Who are you?” Replied Genghis.

“I am General Mardonius, leader of the Persian military.”

“Well General I am sorry but you have to die.”

“So be it.”

With that he drew his scimitar and charged at Genghis. Swinging his sword hard at Genghis’ short katana Mardonius succeeded in knocking it out of his hand and then kicking it away leaving him with only the right katana to fight with.

Genghis went on the offensive, swinging his sword in a flurry of steel he attacked Mardonius who expertly blocked every attack of Genghis. He then parried Genghis’ next attack and went on the offensive himself pushing Genghis back to the wall. This cycle repeated itself a couple of times with neither man winning out until Genghis swung vertically at Mardonius’ causing him to block. There swords locked against each other with each man trying to overpower the other. Then Genghis delivered a hard kick to Mardonius’ stomach which sent him falling back into the wall. Genghis swung his sword into Mardonius’ chest he looked up in shock only to see the malice in Genghis’ eyes, the last thing he saw before descending into darkness.

His task done Genghis retrieved his short katana and made his way out of the palace to rejoin his troops.
---​
General Sarai was leading his riders to flank the remaining Persians engaged by General Shaak. In only moments they had reached ran into the fleeing Persian army. It appeared the outcome of General Shaak’s fight was the same as Sarai’s.

Seeing that they had no chance of escape the Persians threw up there arms in surrender. General Sarai rode further down the streets to find General Shaak. He did not like how he found him.
---​
Genghis was running towards the city center to rendezvous with his men. He ran into a few stragglers who were still putting up a fight but the battle had mostly subsided.

He reached the city center to find that the Persians had surrendered. He gave a victorious smile at there success and set out to congratulate Generals Sarai and Shaak. He grabbed the shoulder of a soldier and asked where the generals were.

He responded saying, “I think they are headed back towards camp Great Khan.”

“Why were they heading there?”

“I heard one of them has been grievously wounded.”

Upon hearing the news Genghis bolted to the nearest horse, mounted then galloped toward camp. He rode through the streets, galloping on top of bodies, and discarded weapons and armor until he reached the gaping hole in the ground from the tunnel and the gate. He rode out and reached camp.

Upon arrival he asked a soldier, “Where are the Generals?”

“At the medical tent Great Khan,” he responded.

This confirmed Genghis’ fears. He rushed to the medic tent and dismounted.

He was met outside by General Sarai who looked grim and said, “Genghis its Shaak.”

“Yes?”

“He’s dead.”

Genghis swallowed hard and walked into the tent and saw Shaak’s body lying on an operation table, his eyes were blankly staring at the ceiling, a huge gash was in his chest, his clothes and armor were soaked in blood.

“What happened?” Asked Genghis.

“While leading his troops he was cut off and surrounded. He fought bravely but his end was delivered to him by a Persian axe.”

Genghis could feel a knot forming in his throat. He closed Shaak’s eyes and said, “He was a loyal General and a good soldier. I was proud to serve along side him, he will be missed.”

Praise, criticism, recomendations? Tell me what you think. (Please) :)

I've just reached an important milestone, 1000 Views! I am so proud of myself :)

I've already played through the entire game.

Edit: Thanks for commenting :goodjob:

Top Bottom