WWI Scenario

I have been playing an interesting game as Arabia. So far no crashes. I have been at war with Egypt since around 1892. It is now 1899, and I am poised to take Alexandria. Finally a port on the Med. The Ottomans, Russians, Italians, and the French all chose the Order SP. Egypt took Freedom, too bad for them. :lol:

I knew playing as Arabia, coal resources would be in short supply. There are two options, go to war either with the Ottomans, or the Egyptians. From the outset of the game the Ottomans denounced Egypt. So, I sided with the Ottomans over time. Keeping them on my good side while I built up my cities and army. Finally, the Ottmans asked for my support in a war against Egypt. In which case I asked for 10 turns to prepare.

I had two objectives for this war. To gain a seaport on the Mediterranean Sea by taking Alexandria. The second acquire coal, so I can build factories. In the meantime I was purchasing some coal from the Ottomans to supply the factory in my capital at Riyadh.

When the war began, my main army was quite small. I figured I would buildup and reinforce them as the campaign continued. I built two frigates to support the crossing of the Red Sea.

The first objective would be the Egyptian port of Thebes. I began crossing to the south. Landing a cavalry for scouting, 2 GW inf, and a arty. Then I brought over some workers who would build a continuous road to the frontlines. With this force I began bombarding the city. Eventually, I got a second arty in place and began a steady bombardment.

As this was going on, I sent an infantry to the north to cutoff any Egyptian reinforcements that may come from that direction. Realizing the Ottomans had the Egyptian army quite busy in and around Cairo. I decided to send another arty to the north which could help reduce Thebes to rubble.

Spoiler :

After capturing and razing Thebes. The next target was the city of Aswan. This fell after a prolonged bombardment. The Egytian army was still busy in the north with the Ottomans, protecting Cairo from assault. The Ottomans were repulsed time and time again. Even though the Ottomans had a serious advantage in technology and numbers.

Spoiler :

Once I puppeted Aswan, I began driving for Asyut, in central Egypt. The Egytian army had dealt with the Ottomans enough that they retreated. So, the Egyptian began to bring forces down to defend Asyut. They really stood no chance however, and the city fell after a short brutal battle.

Spoiler :

With the fall of Asyut, I rested and refitted my army a bit. My main force had grown in size since the outset of the war. When this was completed I drove on Cairo. This fell too, after some turns. By this time the broken Egyptian army had little fight left. Finally, I got a decent source of coal.

Spoiler :

That's it, now it is time to take Alexandria.

While playing I noticed all civs except one so far took the Order SP tree. I'll have to go back in to WB and take care of that. Civs will be either Autocracy or Freedom. Order did not exist, but civs could change to it later one. I am not sure if the AI does that though. Anyway I am going to try some new and interesting things. For one thing I am going to open up the Red Sea. The Suez canal was opened in 1869.

So, Let's see SP Tree for major Civs

1. Greece Freedom - Permanent peace with Russia

2. United Kingdom Freedom - Permanent peace with Russia. Permanent war with Egypt.

3. France Freedom - Permanent peace with Russia

4. Arabia Freedom - The Ottomans were at war with Arabian rebels, during WWI. This will make Arabia challenging to play. The Ottomans will be breathing down their neck.

5. Egypt Autocracy - Egypt was under British control, but not until 1882. So, I am going to have Egypt in a constant state of war with the United Kingdom. This will be quite interesting as the game develops. I want to see if the Ottomans side with Egypt. I also want to see if the British try to invade Egypt at some point.

6.Ottoman Autocracy - Now the 1877-1878 Russo-Turkish War will be going on. The Turks therefore will be at war with Russia at the beginning of the game. This may give Arabia some breathing room at the outset of the game, to buildup.

7. Russia Autocracy - This is the most interesting part of my changes I think. Russia will be in a constant state of peace with France, United Kingdom, and Greece. Even though they are an Autocracy. Again at the outset they begin the game at war with the Ottomans.

8. Germany Autocracy - Permanent peace with Austria-Hungary

9. Austria-Hungary- Autocracry - Permanent peace with Germany

10. Sweden - Will be an odd man out. We''ll see which direction they go in.

11. Spain - Again another odd man out. Although, I believe they were an Autocracy. It will be more interesting to see how Spain reacts to the political situation in Europe.

12. Italy - For this version, I will leave Italy to make its own choice.

13. Dutch - They are neutral, so we will see what this little nation decides.

14. Songhai (Kabyle Berbers) - At permanent war with everyone.

Who should I play as? That is the question.

While I am at it. I will add rifleman units to Sweden and the Dutch. I may borrow another for Italy. For Spain I have a Spanish FT17 to add, and a specific tank for Sweden as well. I may playtest first and if I like the results I'll add these units and finalize the scenario. To this point, I've noticed no crashes at all.

*Heads up on following projects* After this I go back to make a scenario dealing with Europe up to the Medieval Era. It will begin in ancient times. I have downloaded tons of diverse units. This may have a turn limit, with domination VC. If you don't win by domination then the civ with the most VPs at the end of the turns will win. For this I will make my own map of Europe.

Ok, units have been added. I will fix diplomacy and playtest again. In the meantime maybe some new WWI infantry units will be coming around the bend.

Ok, I have added the final version of this scenario. All changes I mention in post #23 are all done. On top of that I have given all civs a standing army. The Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78 is also going on. So, that is quite interesting. I was just playtesting as the Ottomans. I had a pretty good battle with the Russians in around Bucharest and Sofia.

Let me know if there are any problems. I have tested all the units. I'll be playing a full game soon, to check on things myself. After that, I'll begin work on my Medieval scenario. Enjoy and have fun! :)

One thing I forgot was to open up the Red Sea. Which means the final version may not be the final version at all. After playtesting I'll do that. Later on perhaps, with the help of other modders, we can make this scenario better. I would love to change the social policy tree, add some unique icon art. Maybe some leaderhead flags. Adjust the leaders so they act like the people of that time. For example, in this mod Alexander, continually bites off more than he can chew. He simply gets whalloped. :lol:

I'd also love to put in place, a unique techtree. If this was CiIV this scenario would look far different. The point is that, I do not know how to do all that for this game. :sad: No matter though, it still to me is rather fun. I'll learn new things about modding, little by little.

If anyone has tried the final version. Please feel free to leave any feedback.

This morning I added the finishing touches to this scenario. I opened up the Red Sea to the Med. Fixed the Strategic View Icons for the new units I have added. Some of the civs initial armies have been adjusted. The next thing I am waiting for is a set of WWI infantry. As they are added to the unit graphics section. I'll add them into my WWI modpack, and reupdate here. Once I get those Infantry, I may added a WWI scenario, where you just fight the war itself. I can change the turns to weeks, instead of months. So, the scenario would last roughly 218 turns.

The thing is I am going to build a new pc from scratch, a beast. This way I can play Rome 2 TW, without issue. When I am done with that, I'll probably begin working on my own much larger map of Europe. We'll see what happens by then.

The latest update is attached in the Opening Post.

If you have downloaded a previous version before this date/time then redownload if you want to play the lastest update. :)

After the patch comes out, I've decided to continue to work on this mod. I have learned a lot about worldbuilder, so it is time to make my own map.

Belgium and Serbia need to be added to the game. (Although, I am not sure which civs to use to represent them yet.) These both became states in the 1830s. Belgium in 1830 and Serbia in 1835. By doing this I will lose a few CS, but I may make one for Albania/Montenegro. This would be Durres, the capital of Albania, during WWI. Also, Sofia, and Budapest will remain in the Balkans region, along with a new one called Podgorica, representing 'The Kingdom of Montenegro'. Most minor nations will remain, although, Dublin will become a part of the United Kingdom.

Now Belgium, Netherlands, and Serbia need to have at least two cities. All other nations should have some more as well. Based on this, I have decided to create a large map.

With this new map I plan creating two scenarios. One based on an 1878 start, and the second a 1914 start. The other idea I have had is to create some battle or campaign scenarios. These could be the Battle for Liege, The Marne, or Verdun, for example. All of these would have interesting unique maps. They could be turn based VP victory scenarios. So, whoever has the most VP at the end wins. Or they could be domination or complete kill victories. We'll see whats best when we cross that bridge.

Again I'll begin after the patch. For now I'll be doing research. :)

Looks interesting! I just started a game (as England) and was wondering if the entire world was supposed to be covered in fog of war. Is that right or did I do something wrong? :crazyeye:
Nope that is the way it is. Makes things more interesting. Although for my new version of this, which will take awhile yet. I probably will change that, to make things more realistic. Now that I thing of it, I am not even sure how to turn the fog of war off. :lol:

I've just starting playing this and I'm going through my first game as Austria on prince (I think). Are all the cities supposed to start with only the first ring of land in their borders? I found that at the beginning of the game I was rushing culture buildings and buying useful tiles before other civs could expand onto them. Russia obviously has a big advantage in this aspect, as they don't have very much competition for their lands due to no shared borders.

Currently I'm in the middle of conquering Greece. After I'm done with them, I'm not sure if I'll make a move against the ottomans or Italy. The ottomans are less well-liked by everyone (most people denounced) but Italy might have better land and be a bigger threat if left unchecked. I opted to avoid taking rationalism and instead rush science buildings, since after all the techs are researched science is rather useless.

I've noticed that while religion is turned off, it is still possible to get great prophets from wonders. These prophets can be used to found religions which while not appearing to spread, actually DO spread, making beliefs like tithe very nice when you control the only religion. I haven't expanded my religion (I got Hagia Sophia but was beat to the Leaning Tower of Pisa), but I think I'll try to in the next game. That being said, it probably is a naughty thing to do and probably should be fixed. :blush:

I've just starting playing this and I'm going through my first game as Austria on prince (I think). Are all the cities supposed to start with only the first ring of land in their borders? I found that at the beginning of the game I was rushing culture buildings and buying useful tiles before other civs could expand onto them. Russia obviously has a big advantage in this aspect, as they don't have very much competition for their lands due to no shared borders.

Currently I'm in the middle of conquering Greece. After I'm done with them, I'm not sure if I'll make a move against the ottomans or Italy. The ottomans are less well-liked by everyone (most people denounced) but Italy might have better land and be a bigger threat if left unchecked. I opted to avoid taking rationalism and instead rush science buildings, since after all the techs are researched science is rather useless.

I've noticed that while religion is turned off, it is still possible to get great prophets from wonders. These prophets can be used to found religions which while not appearing to spread, actually DO spread, making beliefs like tithe very nice when you control the only religion. I haven't expanded my religion (I got Hagia Sophia but was beat to the Leaning Tower of Pisa), but I think I'll try to in the next game. That being said, it probably is a naughty thing to do and probably should be fixed. :blush:

Let me know if you are able to make that work. I could try to disable the wonders that produce great prophets. Yes in this version I wanted the scenario to be a builder type. So, you build up your culture and empire and prepare for war etc.

I am right now making a map for my next version. Which I will begin a new thread for. In that the civs and infrastructure will be more realistically detailed. Europe is much larger, well it is a large map. 95x75 instead of 72x73.

Some upcoming changes with revamped scenario on larger map

Belgium (Liege, Brussels, and Antwerp) will be added to the game.

Serbia (Belgrade, Nish, and Skoplje) will be added to the game.

Luxembourg, Durres (Albania), and Podgorica (Montenegro) will be added city states.

Social policies will be worked out. Those civs with colonies, for example, will have a given number of policies from the commerce tree. Germany will have honor policies. The state of mind of Germany at the time was very militaristic, based on Prussian influences. I have been doing some research into how each civ influenced its people. How they thought and acted. What they believed in, etc.

I am getting the base map done with the outlines of the landmasses. All my City locations are marked with a grassland hex. The rest will be plains or desert. When the patch comes out I'll finish the rest of it.

I noticed the fxsxml file was wrong for the Ansaldo plane. I fixed that and reposted the scenario in the opening post. This is why we playtest. :)

The final zip is up. This is now a completed scenario. Until the patch comes out I will be working on my new map. When that is done, I'll begin work on a new scenario for this. The new scenario will be much larger, and include more changes. I may be able to add custom civs. I am not sure about that yet. First, I have to create one and test it. If I can I will use flag leaderheads. Which I have available from my CiIV WWI mod. I am sick of seeing Elizabeth as King George V, and Catherine as Tsar Nicholas II. Franz Joseph was not a woman either, sorry to say. :lol: Flag leaderheads will just work and look better. I also want the civs leaders in the scenario to act more like the leaders they were during WWI.

OK, I have just uploaded the scenario zip file again. This is v2, I forgot to disable the UNITCLASS_PROPHET last time. Let me know if anyone sees a Great Prophet running around the map. :lol: In the next mod I can always disable the faith wonders and buildings. The thing is though, I could add a bit of culture to those buildings. The shrine could add +1 culture, Hagia Sophia as well. Why not? There are always things to think about. One reason I am writing all of my thoughts here is so I can come back and look at these posts. There is always a method to my madness. ;)

Well, I wasn't far into my game. I'll just start a new one. :D
As far as the map size increase in the next version, I kind of like the current size. Not sure if I'll like the larger one but we'll see. I get confused easily if the maps get too big. :crazyeye:

That will be a whole new scenario in another thread. This version will be right here. I was going to keep it the same name it will just be a larger upgraded version, with a thread all its own.

I was thinking of trying it without any cash, or very little for the civs. Once you get your economy going cash seems to flow no problem. Besides it is too easy to buy tiles and bribe CSs. Especially, at the outset of the game. If I add a version like that. I'll add it separately, so if you want to try with little money you can. I was going to give each civ like 200 gold. Then I will turn off the permanent peace/war diplomacy, and just let the civs have at it. So, in the morning I may work on that a bit.

Two versions, one with diplomacy and money. The other with little money and no special diplomacy setup for civs.

I'll try the little money scenario as Austria-Hungary first. Anyway, I'll post it tomorrow. Right now I have to go finish watching Port Arthur. It is one crazy war movie.

Changes to be made for Version 3

1. The scenario will begin in 1892. Egypt is out of the game and will be under British Control. The years 1892-1895 will have 6 turns per year. From 1896- the end of 1918, each year will have 12 turns. This will total 300 turns. That should be sufficient for this scenario.

2. The marshes that represent the Nile river will be replaced with river tiles.

3. The Red Sea will be closed off again.

4. Civ gold will be much less about 200 gold per civ. This will make things more challenging, because at the outset you will not be able to buy up tiles, and spam purchase units anymore. This will be an interesting test, I want to see how it pans out.

5. Culture will be set at zero, because I will edit social policies for the civs. BTW I will also leave version 2 up. That way if you prefer that version it will be readily available.

6. Germany and Austria-Hungary will be the Central powers. Italy although part of the Triple-Aliance will be left out of it for this scenario.

7. The Franco-Russian Alliance is signed in 1892, so they will be the Entente Powers. All other civs may choose sides or fight each other. They will be Neutral powers.

8. All AI handicaps will be set back to Settler level from Chieftain. So, when playing at harder levels there will be more AI troops.

9. I was thinking of a way to work in Serbia and Belgium as civs. But I am not going to do that for this scenario. I'll save that for my larger one.

10. I may add another CS in the Balkans, Durres or Podgorica. Most likely though, I will add Sarajevo as a CS, because even though Austria-Hungary had occupied Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1878, it was officially part of the Ottoman Empire. In this situation that would be perfect for a neutral city state. Bosnia and Herzegovina is a region that traces permanent human settlement back to the Neolithic age, during and after which it was populated by several Illyrian and Celtic civilizations. Culturally, politically, and socially, the country has one of the richest histories in the region. So, it will certainly be a cultural CS.

In any case, I feel these changes will make this scenario better and more challenging. While I am working on v3, here and there, I will be playing v2 as Austria-Hungary. I may change v2 in one aspect though. Remove all diplomacy changes except the Central powers alliance between Germany, and Austria-Hungary. So, I will do that later and post. Actually, I'll leave v2 up there and call this I v2.5. I think 2.5 will be used for playtesting purposes to check v3 changes. For one thing, I'll close off the Red Sea, reduce the money and try a game. To see how it goes. Until I get this scenario balanced properly. My larger one will be put on hold. I may try to finish the map, but nothing else until I get some WWI infantry, and the new patch comes out. When I get done with v3, I'd like to learn how to add customs civs in the game.

I am not going to be able to update this mod, because my worldbuilder is screwed up somehow. The only way I can do it is to bring my map back to where it has no resources or cities. Which would just take too long. So, I will just add my ideas to my larger upcoming scenario. When I get that going I will add a link here to the new thread. In the meantime, I am curious to see if there will be a new DLC close to the patch release . I can only hope.

Here, I wanted to show a preview of the new map. I still have a lot of work to do on it.

All the basic city locations are marked for now in a grassland hex. I feel it is a decent size gameboard for huge battles. I think I may delete the two tiles away from the toe of Italy though and open up the Adriatic Sea a bit more.
That probably will look better. When I trim it down it should be 89x75, which is a large map. There needs to be a dip added on to the Western end of North Africa south of Gibraltar. This is the first map I have done since CiV first came out. A month after vanilla was released, I did a Trojan War scenario, which got lost in a hard drive crash. Instead of extracting the info, I just let it go. That map can be remade better anyway.

I have 3 Serbian cities, 3 Belgian, and Luxembourg. Luxembourg will be a CS, along with Duress (No Albania in 1892, which is when this particular scenario will start), and Podgorica, Montenegro. Egypt and Ireland will be under British control. Algeria will be French, but there will be Berber resistance. Libya will still be open. I may add the Senussi political order. Maybe that would be the best choice to fight against the African Colonies of France, and Great Britain and whoever else tries to take ove North Africa. In Arabia, I'll add a few Al Rashid cities. I found a map for them. Perhaps, I can get their capital Ha'il in there, along with three more northern cities from west to east, Tabuk, Al Jawf, and 'Ar'ar. After the 1892 scenario is finished, I may begin working on one for 1914.

Top Bottom