[Xtended] [AAR] The Rise of Lacus Clan

esvath

Apprentice of Erebus
The Rise of Lacus Clan
Xtended 5.5 After Action Report
Ilithiridan

This is a collection of parchments documenting the rise of a clan, calling themselves as the Lacus. While they share similar basic traits with the larger clan we know as the Hippus, this clan ultimately develop a quite distinct personality. Hopefully, this collection will be of use for future students in their endeavour to learn more about the history of Erebus.

The diary of Ilithiridan, the healer of the Hippus. Date unknown.

We were few and weak during the Age of Ice. Yet, when the ice started to thaw and the weather was getting warmer, the few splintered. Some followed the great leader, looking forward to settle in the plains to the west. Some, led by those calling themselves as the "captains", went the other way, splintering themselves from the clan because they dissatisfied with the distribution of spoils from raids.

We? We were the weak and unworthy. We were considered as a burden for the great clan. We were treated with disdain and, if only the clan elders did not forbid it, they might have abandoned us to the wolves. That is why, when the vision began to plague my dreams, persuading me to find my own path and take the weak with me, I took the chance.

I approached the great leader and bargained for our lives and freedom. He agreed. For him, losing one horse and two months of provisions is worthy for getting rid of us. One horse and food might be worthy but without us, he can keep even more food for the future of the clan.

Thus, we brought whatever we had and traveled to the unknown.

The diary of Ilithiridian, the leader of the Hippus splinter. Date unknown.

The visions keep on plaguing my dream, as if someone -or something- is trying to guide me to a certain place. I am familiar with the teachings of old. Our elders worship the forces of Nature and perform rites to Sucellus or Tali. Some even picked up Dwarven tradition of venerating the Earthmother. Yet this ... presence... it is different from anything that I have known before. It is benevolent, at least the visions have never harmed me in any way, yet it is also... forbidding. I can't explain it and maybe I shouldn't try to.

Last night, I received a strong vision of a place. It was a lush place, near the river, with a good field for pastures nearby. The vision even showed a team of wild horses grazing nearby! For a people of Hippus, well, maybe I should write as for a former people of Hippus, like us, horses are invaluable. The vision was too good to be true yet now, we are standing here, exactly in the place shown in my dream last night.

The men and women were cheering and rushing forward, to a place they hope to call as "home".

The diary of Ilithiridian, the leader of the Hippus splinter. Date unknown.

The happiness finding a new home was quickly replaced by our efforts to survive. Yes, the plains is fertile and rich, as the vision had shown me. Yet, there was no vision to prepare us about waves and waves and waves of attack from various barbarian tribes. Unbeknownst to us, there are many barbarian tribes live nearby, Orcs and Goblins and more. One tribe even had settled their tribe and build a city, not that far from our border. They see us as weak prey. The dream had turned into nightmare and for weeks, I was haunted by visions of death which inevitably came true the day after.

Somehow, though, we managed to survive against the seemingly endless onslaught of barbarian forces. We lost many scouts and workers and had to suffer from lack of food due to the barbarian's attacks. Yet, we strove on. Maybe our efforts had pleased whatever presence who had lead us here because suddenly, after one night of a dreamless sleep, a stranger appeared in our gate. He was not young and while he spared us details, claimed as an adventurer from the land of the Bannor. He brought with himself military knowledge of the Bannor. He trained the youth and lead them conquering the barbarian city of Terrunene to the north of our city. Seeing his achievements, I convinced the city council to spend what was left of our money to provide the adventurer with equipments. He is a knight now and invaluable in our defense. Valiantly, he fought enemies vying to conquer our cities, from tribes of Goblins and Orcs to a Necromancer with his unholy followers.

Letter from Lothigosean, the Bannormen adventurer, to Ilithiridian, the leader of the Hippus splinter. Date unknown.

My lady Ilithiridian,

It is my pleasure to report to you that our expedition against the Orcish tribe of Hawkspear is successful. We managed to slay them all, leaving some cowards to flee, and razed their lair to the ground. We found several armours and weapon caches in the lair. Apparently, they were mobilising their force against us. It is fortunate that we struck them first, thanks to your wisdom, my lady.

In the lair, we found some weapons and also small amount of treasure. I took the liberty to distribute the weapons to our soldiers and sent the treasures to you, hoping that it will help our clan in smallest ways possible.

There was also a vial of magical potion. My intention was to send the potion to you, along with the treasure. However, one of the lads sneaked and took the potion for himself. I would gladly punish the lad for his thievery but the nature of the potion made this impossible. Right after drinking the potion, the lad was transformed into a wild Fire Drake and run amok. It was fortunate that there was no casualties among our troops yet I failed to do my duty in executing the thief.

Your humble servant,
Lothigosean

OOC
Spoiler :

Hippus Local Legend is an Adventurer. Actually it was a bug (should be a Glaidiator) but I like it that Hippus is getting an Adventurer. This reflects the "mercenary-ish" way of the Hippus, so I am letting this "bug" and adopt it as a feature.

I also got lucky to find Blood of Dragon potion when razing an Orc lair. I will put the fire drake in automated mode and "peek" at his condition in the leader's dream.

Last edited:
The diary of Ilithiridian, the leader of Hippus splinter. Date unknown.

I had strange dreams. Unlike previous dreams where whispers and visions guide me, this time I became a beast of terrible power. I saw through its eyes every foliage on the forest below. I felt the blows of the winds and how its majestic wings broke the air to ride it. When I -the beast- flew over a body of water, I glanced and saw a fire drake. Maybe I was in the mind of a wild fire drake? Or maybe, I was in the mind of that thieving lad who had turned into a fire drake? I do not know. What I know, during my sleep, I rode the mind of the beast as surely as it rode the wind.

Controlling the beast, I managed to explore land far away from my city. I met several other tribes, both were elven and led by different leaders. One lived in a thriving land, led by their queen. The other lived in a barren tundra, led by their king. While they are far away from my land, I might need to send scouts to keep my eyes on these tribes.

The elders had finished their study on one ancient scroll found in one of the lairs. Apparently, the goblins were hauling treasures from some forgotten cities and one of the chests was filled with scrolls of knowledge. This particular scroll detailed the ancient chants used by this forgotten people to communicate with the gods. After studying the scroll of Ancient Chants, the elders are now able to perform the holy ritual and can try to contact one of the gods. While the Hippus is familiar with Sucellus or Tali, again, I feel that the presence in my dream, the one who guides us here, is neither Sucellus nor Tali. Thus, I commanded the elders to try to contact the spirit of the lake, hoping that through it, we can communicate with this benevolent spirit.

While live is not truly peaceful, we can thrive here. Both of our cities are growing and I made sure that no one is treated poorly. Our culture advanced steadily and the elders, those who communicate with the spirit of the lake, are assisting the development of our culture through their artistic achievements. Maybe the spirit of the lake is instilling them with bursts of creativity? If that is true, then we are truly blessed by it.

To show my gratitude to the elders, I focused our cultural achievement in developing the Priest Chapter. With this guild, we can train more people in the faith of the elders, thus gaining more blessings from the spirit of the lake. I hope, this will help us in our endeavours, both present and future.

No, no, no! why? Worship Tali xD Drown Horselords omg... Orthus mounting Acheron should descend upon your tribe and leave only ash and smoke hehe

No, no, no! why? Worship Tali xD Drown Horselords omg... Orthus mounting Acheron should descend upon your tribe and leave only ash and smoke hehe
I am taking the most unconventional way of playing Hippus here :lol:, not sure which victory I should be aiming for. Any suggestion?

Military Domination, or you want me to give you objectives? :D Make fearless horde of cavalry and ask outrageous amount of money to attack someones enemy. Then spread terror, pillage and burn and only negotiate peace for nice big gold sums too. Decimate AIs one by one until they become vassals and give you their money peacefully, weak and unable to muster enough forces to break free

If Ljosafar queen gets attacked try to be paid to join them in war for start.

Last edited:

The development of rituals to appease the spirit of the lake resulted not only in increasing religious fervour in our cities. The increasing religious festivities also make the citizens to be increasingly artistic. I have never witnessed such creative bursts during my time in the old Hippus clan. Maybe this is the influence of the elders' doctrine, that songs can soothe the soul and dances can free the body?

To honour our patron, I ordered the construction of a pagan temple in Terrunene. While it is far from ideal, until the Cultist came back from his quest and ready to start his own temple, it should suffice to satisfy the citizen's needs on religious and cultural guidance from the elders. In this pagan temple, the citizens celebrated the generousness of our patron. Their blessed location, near the lake which we believe is the domain of our patron, make it easier for the citizen of Terrunene to perform religious rituals. Some of the young men and women, in their intention to serve our patron better, started a cleansing ritual by drowning themselves in tubs filled with waters from the sacred lake. The elders had not make any comments on this.

The diary of Lothigosean
, the Black Knight. Date unknown.

Our blessed leader, the lady Ilithiridian, ordered me to lead a military expedition to expand our southern border. This place is rampant with undead appearances. Earlier, the patrols have destroyed a Necromancer leading hordes of skeleton warriors trying to attack Altheriol-ta-Mealthiel. Despite their success in destroying the Necromancer, there are still many skeleton warriors roaming the border.

I chose the best younglings to accompany me in this expedition. One of them, Magnadine, is a very talented young man. He is excellent at horse riding, nothing surprising from a Hippus young man, but more than that, he has a certain charm on him which make even the roughest mercenaries comply to his command. My aim is to train him in the art of leadership. Hopefully, he can be a great asset for our country.

During this journey, we found a strange landmark: a glowing red crystal scorching the earth surrounding it, transforming the sands into a clear mirropto him, there is no other mystical being as powerful as our spirit patron thus this giant is a trial of our faith. I complied to his command and attacked the giant.

The battle against the fire giant had been fruitful for us. My soldiers gained battle experience, promoting them to veterans. The Cultist himself was very horrifying during the battle. He wielded power to curse and wound, very violent and wrathful, in contrast with his usual playful and festive nature. When I asked him afterwards. he, back in his charming self, just smiled and said: "My knight, just as you are willing to sheathe your sword and spill opponent's blood to protect our country, so am I, willing to unleash rage and pain to destroy our enemy."

It was an unexpected answer but I see truth behind his words.

I received good news from our Black Knight. He and the Cultist managed to secure the southern border, not only from the marauding undeads but also from a mystical fire giant. It pleases me that the surrounding land is fit for developing a new settlement. Soon, when the settlement has grown enough, we will be able to harvest the trees and produce incense to help us in our prayers.

Speaking of prayers, our prayers to the holy patron are heard. Our community thrives militarily, religiously and culturally. To complete that, the holy patron sent us a great sage naming himself as Magister Cultuum to visit our humble city and teach the elders in the ways of magic. The majority of Hippus are followers of Tali thus usually the Hippus elders develop affinity to Air magic but through the Magister, our holy patron bestowed us with new knowledge of Mind magic.

With this new knowledge, our adepts now can cast Floating Eye, sending magical spy to scout the land farther away. I was also attending the Magister' classes and, after exhausting sessions, I managed to control mana flow through my mind. I used this knowledge to control the Fire Drake better, somewhat directing his movements and behaviours. Hopefully, some day I can bend its mind and make it loyal to our cause. Meanwhile, it is a good tool to scout the far lands. Through its eyes, I saw many tribes and "met" their leaders.

While these leaders are not directly threatening our community, I am cautious toward them. Somehow, four of the five leaders I have "met" are venerating the new nature God, Cernunnos. What they are seeing from such weak godling is beyond me but the voices whisper in my dream that maybe, one day, I have to show them the true spirit worthy of their worship.

Some day.

OOC:

Spoiler :
Five rival civs and three of them are FOL and another one is going to adopt FOL? That's very... intriguing.
Also, it is unusual for Ljosalfar to get beaten to FOL. Maybe I should increase their religious weight a bit? Have you seen Ljos AI ignoring FOL?

Last edited:
I`ve seen them beaten to FOL and even losing holy city to both Aos Si and Svarts in my games. Did not paid attention. Now with them led by spiritual leader its probably bit strange.

Go for Religious Victory.

You have Incense nearby, which is an excellent plot to start a religious city nearby. And show those weak naturelovers who's god gives the better blessings!

Top Bottom