Yes! Fractal maps!

Jaroth

Warlord
Last night, thru another thread, I learned that the Fractal map script is back. This alone has enhanced my game much more; I'm very pleased. :D When I first picked up the game, I was disappointed that it wasn't there since that's all I played in Civ 4.

I don't know how I missed it since I knew of the advanced setup and thought that I looked at all the options. I think I just assumed that the available maps in the advanced view were the same as the available maps in the pretty, default view. Wow, was I wrong.

If anybody else didn't realize it, go to the advanced setup screen and not only do you have a bunch of additional options, but you also have a ton of additional maps!

For me, Fractal is the only way to go.

I was playing Continents before I discovered Fractal again. The maps generated were great, nothing like big, blocky land masses. But still... it bothered me only having contact with half the civs for a majority of the game. Then when I DID sail over to the other side, most times one monster civ just took over most of the continent anyway and the other civs are left as worthless contacts. That, and the AI fails at naval invasions/combat right now.

I switched to Pangea to give that a whirl. It's great contacting most of the civs in the game right away and all the battles. Lots of drama between all of them, lol. But now, the navy seems neglected and not really needed on these maps.

I like the full experience, and I feel Fractal really delivers. You get connected land masses and early contact with most civs, but they're a bit snaky and winding which still makes a navy useful and worthwhile to build. It also creates choke points which in this game are really interesting and useful now!

I'm also very pleased at how all the map scripts have been genereating the terrain. I keep getting very interesting, nicely shaped land masses each time. They did a great job on this end.

You should really try "small continents" with low sea level. It's the map type that lets every civ use their abilities to their full potential.

What is the real difference between fractal and others?

Yup, fractals are the best.

But i found them on day 1 :)

And yes they should be in the default list. Whats weird is if you start a single player game through the mod area.. . ALL the map types are listed in the default list (with graphical icons etc.). Don't know why it's not like that in the normal "mod-less" setup, probably just an oversight.

What is the real difference between fractal and others?

Fractal is highly random. You never know what you are going to get.

The landmasses have a somewhat random shape (generallly snakey), and you dont really know how many there are.

Soemtimes it might be a big pangea, other times it might be 2 big continets with a small 1 off to the side, while other times its several smaller archipelago type land masses.

Its just the bee knees not knowing :p

You should really try "small continents" with low sea level. It's the map type that lets every civ use their abilities to their full potential.

How does that look like? Is the continents snaky or are they 'blocks'?

Because I really like snaky continents :)

(fractal is very cool, but sometimes I want more continents than just 1 big and 1 medium)

In Civ IV I always played fractal maps. It is an unfair advantage if you know in general what the map looks like.

Also a big lover of fractal maps, and I agree that the city-states create a lot of interesting and choke points.

How does that look like? Is the continents snaky or are they 'blocks'?

Because I really like snaky continents :)

(fractal is very cool, but sometimes I want more continents than just 1 big and 1 medium)

Small continents works pretty well. You usually get a nice mix of landmasses. One thing I like about it is there's usually less wide open plots of land (so the AIs usually can't go as extremely insane with REXing on one landmass).

Why did they put so many of the map types in the advanced setup but not in the basic setup box??? I don't get it. There must be a way to mod the xml to indicate that these should be in the basic dialog.

i just tried a Fractal map and it seems to be one giant continent. i spose thats the randomness of it.

I've always played low water level since Civ IV, and last couple games I've been using small continents script. It's pretty good.

i keep picking 'high' water level for these maps but no matter the choice, there is always tons upon tons of land. has anyone had success making a fractal or other map with less land?

Top Bottom