• Really Mad

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Some problems but Happy

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can't even get the game to start up. Get the loading screen and then the CTD. I've downloaded the 1.52 patch and still nothing. I keep send the error report...

Spyder said:
Unfortunately, this just reminds me of the debacle of Outpost (if any of you remember that far back). I love Civ games...I love THIS game...I just can't finish a game. So, I'm just waiting for a new patch that will fix the crashes. Until then, it's back to EQ II.

Wow, Outpost.....That is an oldie. I think I still have it boxed up in my attic (along with all of my other sierra games of the day). Great game idea, poorly implemented.

Back on topic, 1.52 = CTD galore. I have a couple other tweaks to try in the ini file for Civ4. Honestly, should you have to "tweak" a game to play it...if you buy it? If it is free or beta that is one thing, but this was sold as a gold. Nothing like paying for a game and having to tweak it. It reminds me of trying to get Ultima 7 to run when it was first released. Pulling teeth I tell you, pulling teeth.

The game has yet to run at better than 4 FPS for me, even at the very beginning, and I'm beginning to feel like I've tried everything.

Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop
1.6Ghz Pentium M Processor
1.25 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200, 64MB
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

Whenever I try and download updated drivers from Nvidia's web site, I get an error message saying "My computer does not have the supported hardware," even though I'm certain I'm downloading the right drivers. The game lacks an interface when I try and play it in version 1.09 (perhaps because something called "Python" fails to load at the beginning of every game). Seems like the developers should have tried playtesting their game on computers with videocards a bit behind the learning curve before they let it go gold.

Not laggy for me on a huge map but it still crashes to desktop at random. And resests my system to 4 bit color (video issue maybe?) which requires a reboot to fix.

*sigh* Sent another e-mail off the tech support people but I am not holding out hope. They haven't been any help yet; why change?

P4 3 gig with 1 gig RAM
110 gig HD
realtek AC97 sound
Nvidia 5200XT video card (128 meg)

I've played Civ, Civ II, Civ III, and (very very briefly) Civ IV.

Since my GF4 died on me and I replaced with Radeon 9550, I can't start or load a game no matter what I try (of course I still haven't tried human sacrifices and such).

How happy am I? Well, my mood could be described as homicidal, so human sacrifices could be coming soon :)

Somewhat happy with Civ 4, but when I installed it on my laptop, the text appears as white boxes, not words. I have seen a few posts here describing the same things, but no one has posted a way to fix it.

I've played every civ version from the very first, including colonization, alpha centauri, all the expansions for civ 2 & 3 and this is the only time I have ever had any problems getting civ software to work. I have a IBM T23, with a 30gig hd, 1.2 gig processor, so those shouldn't be an issue; any one got any ideas?? Thanks

Spyder said:
Unfortunately, this just reminds me of the debacle of Outpost (if any of you remember that far back). I love Civ games...I love THIS game...I just can't finish a game. So, I'm just waiting for a new patch that will fix the crashes. Until then, it's back to EQ II.

I hear you. The game worked fine for me until the 1.09 patch, then got worse and worse the longer I played a game.

I worked in QA at Dynamix for a short stint about 10 years ago and tested the Outpost patch. I had never heard of the game, but they told me it had a small but fanatical following. I only played the patched version, and the patch fixed lots of problems, so the game wasn't too buggy from my perspective. To give you an idea of the limited budget for QA testing a game, I did some of the testing for the English patch, then all the testing for the German (don't speak it) and French (don't speak it well) patch versions. Since most of the testing was in the English version, I got to know the game well enough that I could navigate the game without knowing the German word for "colony" or "planet" or anything else.

Hopefully the Civ4 team is a little more sophisticated.

-Don

donchron

Have you loaded the V1.52 Patch? Worth it if not, it resolved many memory issues

Regards
Zy

Zydor said:
donchron

Have you loaded the V1.52 Patch? Worth it if not, it resolved many memory issues

Regards
Zy

Got it - haven't had time to try it out yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll put me Tin Helmet on and cross me fingers for u as well :)

Regards
Zy

Could you please post your Dxdiag dump? Gives a good idea of your setup, and also any other symptoms you have noticed, however small they may seem

(Dxdiag - Start button - click - select run - type dxdiag - hit enter - wait a min - select save all information - post it using the 'advanced' button below)

Regards
Zy

Looks as if you have integrated sound chip on your motherboard, not a separate sound card. Specs for the game incluse "DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card".

Although it may seem strange, no sound card can cause issues in memory management,producing wierd effects.

Have you tried different Video Driver versions ?

EDIT: Also load and try the V1.52 patch if not already loaded

Regards
Zy

JCSUK said:
This is my Info from DxDiag

JC,

Your chipset drivers for your motherboard are not loaded correctly.

Find updated chipset drivers for your motherboard and install them.

Sorry cant figure out what make or model your computer is or the type MB you have from your dx diag.

Civ 3 player
no i ain't happy with the game ..could play the game till the end quite well with of course low graphic settings and no wonder movies with patch 1.09 but can't play the game anymore with patch 1.52 game keeps grashing when i start , my machine does exceed minimum requirements too.

Too many people have problems with the game and so I will wait until the first Civilization IV Expansion pack is released then make a purchase. It's not worth buying a game that can't even play on systems that meet or exceed the minimum requirements. The first two patches so far are an improvement but it's probably going to take another 3 official patches until the game developers get it right. This means another 4-5 months. I might as well wait until Windows Vista is out and buy a whole new system, o/s and game all at the same time.

I don't even have the game yet and I'd probably vote "no" on the poll. I think the reviews on Civ 4 are too biased. I'd like a review to honestly say that Civ 4 sucks.

1) taking a "are you happy pole" in a tech support forum as opposed to the General discussion forum is a little like taking a pole of san quinton inmates and asking them if they are innocent or not. Or Polling Pepsi board members as to which softdrink they prefer most coke or pepsi?

2) The originator of this post found it was his un updated chipset drivers and old bios that prevented him from playing the game and not the game itself.

Now we have people blasting the game who dont even own it.

Thats just too damn silly!

Long time Civ player. I've been on the phone, jumping through hoops, buying video cards (ATI argggg) and RAM, BUT STILL CAN PLAY (black parts to the map?!?!?). AAAAAAHH.

Neon Deon said:
1) taking a "are you happy pole" in a tech support forum as opposed to the General discussion forum is a little like taking a pole of san quinton inmates and asking them if they are innocent or not. Or Polling Pepsi board members as to which softdrink they prefer most coke or pepsi?

2) The originator of this post found it was his un updated chipset drivers and old bios that prevented him from playing the game and not the game itself.

Now we have people blasting the game who dont even own it.

Thats just too damn silly!

Look, if the Coke or Pepsi is Civ4 and the specifications say 500mL in one pop bottle, then my computer which is a 700mL cup should be able to hold that softdrink. Instead the bottle has 1L instead of the stated 500mL which my cup can't hold. The pop overflows.

Maybe the minimum requirements for Civ4 were underestimated.

Top Bottom